wont load explorer continualy
its driving me nuts
I am writing this at work cos my system at home
is close to getting chucked out of the window
and wont function any more
there is a help line but I have to calm down after a week
of total frustration and of course I dont speak urdoo broken english:mad:

your broadband comments welcome

To make matters even worse Billy I have never heard any talk talk customer say they were happy with their service .

They have consistently been in the bottom of the league when it comes to satisfaction surveys
A promise of a great price and a good service has wooed many peple who have ended up dissapointed

Personally I am with AOL who in the past have had similar problems but for the last three years I have been trouble free
They even gave me a free laptop and speed upgrade for being a loyal customer

Broadband speed depends heavilly on how far you are from the exchange ,if it is on your street you will get super speed but anything more than half a mile and you are lucky to get 3mb

Hope you get it sorted soon

Steve

I was with dial up aol for years and was happy with what I got,
but when broadband came along, aol said I couldn't get it in my area,
but BT said I could. so I went with BTbroadband.
no complaints there either.
I had the sneaking suspision that BT was feeding aol duff information
about the local exchange because although aol couldn't couldn't get me it,
BT fixed it for me in double quick time
Ive looked at all the "cheaper broadband offers"
but I think its all swings and roundabouts
a good service is what its all about!

Talktalk

Hi

I've been with Talktalk 14 months too long. Only 4 months before I can get out without penalty. When it works its fine but not as fast as I would like. However, PC has been in for some work and for some reason broadband is a little faster, but still too slow.

ps Isn't AOL now part of talktalk............

I think it will be back to BT. Irrespective of cost.

Jon

Hi

I've been with Talktalk 14 months too long. Only 4 months before I can get out without penalty. When it works its fine but not as fast as I would like. However, PC has been in for some work and for some reason broadband is a little faster, but still too slow.

ps Isn't AOL now part of talktalk............

I think it will be back to BT. Irrespective of cost.

Jon

I've been with Tiscali for nearly 2 years and can't fault them.

Offered reduced payments without me asking.

Have kicked BT into touch even for line rental.

Extra charges included:- £4.50 payment charge. For the "privalage" of letting me pay my bill.
£7.50 "late" payment charge because bill wasn't payed inside 7 days (no reminder or indication of this on original bill) and didn't appear until next bill, after payment was made.

Very sorry but couldn't recommend BT at any price.

I've been with Tiscali for nearly 2 years and can't fault them.

Offered reduced payments without me asking.

Have kicked BT into touch even for line rental.

Extra charges included:- £4.50 payment charge. For the "privalage" of letting me pay my bill.
£7.50 "late" payment charge because bill wasn't payed inside 7 days (no reminder or indication of this on original bill) and didn't appear until next bill, after payment was made.

Very sorry but couldn't recommend BT at any price.

I was with tiscali for a couple of years a friend recomended orange, when my sentence is up I will be going back to tiscali

Broadband in the UK is a joke. The rest of Europe is going for 25 to 50Mbps. In Korea they have 100Mbps. The response from BT was that there was little or no interest in the UK for a faster Broadband service.
And this from the people who want us to take up watching Video on-line :mad:

well after years of using dial in her indoors decided to take up
talktalk offer this month being cheaper than what we pay for the phone
thru BT and of course free broadband for papa bear
suppose to run at up to 8meg
well:mad:
what a crap package dodgy software
runs at 0.5 meg
drops the connection
its driving me nuts

you could try this site to see how far from the exchange you are im
4.9 killometers http://www.dslzoneuk.net/speedtest.php

and only get between .5 & 1m ie only just able to get b/band
i am also with aol talk and free laptop no real probs apparently
when you first upgrade it takes a while to settle down supposedly

you could try loading opera alongside talk myself i either choose
opera or firefox when aol wont start up

Last edited:
well after years of using dial in her indoors decided to take up
talktalk offer this month being cheaper than what we pay for the phone
thru BT and of course free broadband for papa bear
suppose to run at up to 8meg
well:mad:
what a crap package dodgy software
runs at 0.5 meg
drops the connection
its driving me nuts

I think there are as many opinions about broadband as there are users. First, I don't work for talktalk. I'm retired - I don't work for anybody. But my experience of talktalk is excellent. When I read that speed of 0.5 meg I couldn't believe it so I ran my own check on http://www.thinkbroadband.com
and this is what I got:

broadbandtestresultsds4.jpg

I ran it three times and this is the best I got but they were all pretty good. The telephone exchange is just round the corner - about 200 yards away. This makes a difference?

I don't use Internet Explorer. I use Firefox but only because when I used Dial-up I had the feeling that Firefox was faster so I kept on using it.

I did have connection problems at one time and the problems lasted about a week. A very helpful engineer took all the time I needed to - unsuccessfully - try sorting out my problems. In the end talktalk sent me a new modem free. While waiting for it the problem sorted itself out and the modem is still in its box, talktalk didn't want it back. About a month later talktalk rang to make sure my problems had not re-occurred.

I do have one problem but it's not really to do with talktalk. On my plan (Talk 3 International) I have anytime free voice calls with a few exceptions like calls to mobiles but also to 0845 numbers. I have to pay for them. Since starting with talktalk more and more companies are using 0845 numbers and I don't know why. I just know that because all my other calls (almost) are free I resent paying for these. I wish they would all go back to 01 numbers.

So I'm the one. The only one with not a bad word (fingers crossed) for talktalk. I just hope I haven't now put a jinx on myself but, truly, I had to defend them.

Tom

Edit: I've just noticed that my upload speed is only 0.4 Meg. But it's the download speed that counts, surely? Merlin, that is pretty close to the speed you quoted. Are you quoting an upload speed? Does anybody know why the speeds are so different?

Last edited:
Not taking a "pop" at anyone but the "upstream" figures are much the same as anyone else would get. I get the same from the Bearded Git's (No, I'm not a fan!) cable service and I don't consider it to be brilliant.
It is like I wrote in my previous post: We are treated very badly for broadband services in the UK. Here's something more to think on; you would have had to flog along with ISDN if BT had got their own way. It was only from consumer and EU pressure that ADSL was introduced

Last edited by a moderator:
broadband thanks

I think there are as many opinions about broadband as there are users. First, I don't work for talktalk. I'm retired - I don't work for anybody. But my experience of talktalk is excellent. When I read that speed of 0.5 meg I couldn't believe it so I ran my own check on http://www.thinkbroadband.com
and this is what I got:

broadbandtestresultsds4.jpg

I ran it three times and this is the best I got but they were all pretty good. The telephone exchange is just round the corner - about 200 yards away. This makes a difference?

I don't use Internet Explorer. I use Firefox but only because when I used Dial-up I had the feeling that Firefox was faster so I kept on using it.

I did have connection problems at one time and the problems lasted about a week. A very helpful engineer took all the time I needed to - unsuccessfully - try sorting out my problems. In the end talktalk sent me a new modem free. While waiting for it the problem sorted itself out and the modem is still in its box, talktalk didn't want it back. About a month later talktalk rang to make sure my problems had not re-occurred.

I do have one problem but it's not really to do with talktalk. On my plan (Talk 3 International) I have anytime free voice calls with a few exceptions like calls to mobiles but also to 0845 numbers. I have to pay for them. Since starting with talktalk more and more companies are using 0845 numbers and I don't know why. I just know that because all my other calls (almost) are free I resent paying for these. I wish they would all go back to 01 numbers.

So I'm the one. The only one with not a bad word (fingers crossed) for talktalk. I just hope I haven't now put a jinx on myself but, truly, I had to defend them.

Tom

Edit: I've just noticed that my upload speed is only 0.4 Meg. But it's the download speed that counts, surely? Merlin, that is pretty close to the speed you quoted. Are you quoting an upload speed? Does anybody know why the speeds are so different?

Thanks, good info for everyone
keep it coming guys nice to see the big picture

I had a check done with info from my works IT guys I have two on site
both upload and download were less than 1meg
but I have been monitering it before I get into a debate with my
supplier it does get faster now and then but even last night
when I tried to get onto this site it took forever
I gave up after 10mins

I was a bit hesitant to post that I also like Talk Talk.
They are my telephone provider and with relatives in Germany and Bahrain and Australia I get FREE calls at week-ends and in the evenings Mon -Fri.

They are not my ISP provider though, and I get that for FREE.

I've been with Talk Talk for 18 months, and i think they provide a brilliant Broadband service.. And the Broadband is FREE.
I pay line rental to them instead of BT (Same price) and pay £8 a month for inclusive calls to landlines 24/7.
My phone bill including landline, calls and Broadband is never more than £21 per month.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back