Breakdown Insurance

JQL

Hi,

I'm having problems getting Breakdown Insurance. Sureterm Direct, my insurers, won't offer it as the vehicle is over 14 years old.

I've tried a number of other insurers and the only 2 I can find are:

AA at £1170 a year!
RAC at £1032 a year!

Over a thousand a year. The Fully Comp insurance was less than half that.

Does anyone know of anyone who will offer a sensible breakdown insurance for a 1994 RV < 7.5t, Chevrolet Chassis, which includes at least 6 months in Europe (on one trip).

The problems seem to be:
  1. longer than 90 days in Europe
  2. Age. Over 14 years
  3. Dimensions: longer than 30', Higher than 8' and heavier than about 4t
I won't actually be doing that many miles only about 4,000 if that.

All the big companies aren't interested.

I hate to say it but you may have to join the Camping&Caravan Club or the Caravan Club. They should be able to provide you with cover that you require.
The problem that you may face though is that the vehicle may well be declared a "write off" because that may well be cheaper than repatriating it: Check when you take the membership out

Breakdown insurance

Hi John. Have you tried National Breakdown ? I have a '87 Winnebago LeSharo.
22' x 7'4" x 8'. about 3 ton. Years cover inc. limited Euro travel for the Princely sum of £60. :)

Again, I would refer you to the warning about vehicles being written off.
SAGA have deals that may be of interest.
I may be wrong but I seem to remember that some of the Self Build people had some bad experiences of National Breakdown

I remember the AA offering that type of insurance way back in the 70s, so they would know within a brass razoo how much it costs when a vehicle needs returning or fixing.

Does nt membership of the AA/RAC offer roadside assistance from other motoring clubs in Europe? I know my Australian RAC membership gives me access to all of the Euro roadside assistance that I might need, even if its only a tow.

this is an on going saga the prices and deals are constantly changing
but try going back to your current insurer and pretend to be a new customer
can be a shortcut to a discount.
give next doors address then if a favorable quote is given
upon reciept of confirmation
then you must imediatly notify them of your new address .
the quotes generaly applyto the postal code area
so there should be no rise in price
i know it works and it is legal

as for break down cover cannot fault flux cover from adrian flux as i have just had to use mine. from phone call to recovery 30 mins max,spotless clean recovery vehicle inside well recomended

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back