Breakdown Cover

ROCKIN

I recently had a burst tyre on a very busy road and it was too dangerous for me to change the wheel myself. I called the RAC and they would not attend because my van is classed as a commercial vehicle and is not covered (The RAC has been out twice to the van for punctures without a problem previously!). My problem is that i have a 28 year old restored 608D Mercedes van which was converted to a camper van 26 years a go. It's gross vehicle weight is nearly 6 tonnes which is what the motoring breakdown companies use to work out if they can cover you. Commercially my van could carry a lot of weight but now it a camper and weighs nothing like. I think my only option is to get it reclassified and the weight plate changed however this will cause me problems with the insurance!

Does anyone now how best to get breakdown cover for this type of van?

ROCKIN said:
I recently had a burst tyre on a very busy road and it was too dangerous for me to change the wheel myself. I called the RAC and they would not attend because my van is classed as a commercial vehicle and is not covered (The RAC has been out twice to the van for punctures without a problem previously!). My problem is that i have a 28 year old restored 608D Mercedes van which was converted to a camper van 26 years a go. It's gross vehicle weight is nearly 6 tonnes which is what the motoring breakdown companies use to work out if they can cover you. Commercially my van could carry a lot of weight but now it a camper and weighs nothing like. I think my only option is to get it reclassified and the weight plate changed however this will cause me problems with the insurance!

Does anyone now how best to get breakdown cover for this type of van?

I had the same thing with the AA, If you join the c c c and then the RAC quoting the ccc arrivals there is no age lengh or weight restrictions, I have a 407 which was accepted with the RAC, the only problem I then had was I had to wait overnight because non of there vehicals were big enough to transport me home and they had to get another company in and it only cost me 105 for the year

Thanks for the reply Cas, I've checked out the arrivals scheme but my gross weight may be too heavy for that even! (too many pies!) The chap in customer services is getting back to me. Is the £105 an additional payment on top of an existing RAC membership?

Nope thats all I paid for the year that coverd the 407 1982 plate or any other vehical I was in, but they wouldnt cover me when I first enquired, then tried again under the arrivals and got cover

The RAC recovered a 4.6 ton(gross) for me three years ago. The actual weight was under 3.5 but they sent out a lorry transporter, there wasn't a problem because I had joined through C&CC,but things may have altered.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back