Blown manifold gaskest ,, argh

mick

hi , people just got back from the west of Scotland , after waking everyone up on the way back due to exhaust , so add new 1 fitted only find it was the manifold gaskets that have gone aswell , so stripped of new exhaust down to manifold , got 6 of the nuts off with ease , but can,t get anything to fit the remaining 2 .. they are in perfect view in the centre of the mainfold , but nothing i've got will sit square on them , can't get a ring on them cause of the water pipe running along the back engine block , so aving no manual on this , don't know if it needs to be removed , , just wondering if anyones had the same problem ..or is their a special tool to remove them !!!! thanx Mick .:confused: oh yeah Talbot express 2lt petrol , 1990 autoquest 270 .

Last edited:
it'd help a lot mick if you told us what motor you've got :confused::D

what you need are WONDER TOOLS!!

I've got a set of these and they are fantastic, previously the last line of defence was my angle grinder, haven't ground a bolt or nut since, very cool :)

hi , people just got back from the west of Scotland , after waking everyone up on the way back due to exhaust , so add new 1 fitted only find it was the manifold gaskets that have gone aswell , so stripped of new exhaust down to manifold , got 6 of the nuts off with ease , but can,t get anything to fit the remaining 2 .. they are in perfect view in the centre of the mainfold , but nothing i've got will sit square on them , can't get a ring on them cause of the water pipe running along the back engine block , so aving no manual on this , don't know if it needs to be removed , , just wondering if anyones had the same problem ..or is their a special tool to remove them !!!! thanx Mick .:confused: oh yeah Talbot express 2lt petrol , 1990 autoquest 270 .

Hi Mick,
we have a Fiat Ducato, 1992, with same petrol engine. :eek: My son and I had to change her (see avatar) head gasket last April. :rolleyes: I used a DEEP socket, 3/8in drive, as these have a thinner wall section than 1/2in drive or any other spanner. :p Worked for us! :cool:
:D :D JIM!! :D :D

Hi Mick,
we have a Fiat Ducato, 1992, with same petrol engine. :eek: My son and I had to change her (see avatar) head gasket last April. :rolleyes: I used a DEEP socket, 3/8in drive, as these have a thinner wall section than 1/2in drive or any other spanner. :p Worked for us! :cool:
:D :D JIM!! :D :D

have to get one of those all my sockets are 1/2" ,, thanx Jim ,

Mick, I forgot :confused: to say that you should be looking for a hexagonal socket as they are thinner than the bi-hex ones. The only way to go even thinner wall is to go for 1/4in drive, if it is a small size nut. :p Sometimes you have no alternative but to use a 1/2in drive! :eek:

:D :cool: JIM!! :cool: :D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back