Battery charging

gary1959

:)Hi everybody and a belated Happy Near Year to you all.
Well when I joined I promised there would be some daft questions on the way, so here's the first:eek:
Having done my back in before xmas, I couldn't get out to my van to turnover the battery, result its totally dead. I've brought it in and put it on the battery charger, any idea how long it should take to charge, its been sitting at 2 for nearly 2 days now. Also is it possible the leisure battery could have drainned the car battery and should I have removed the leisure battery for the winter ?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

You need a Meter to put across it to see what the reading is. 2 Days and should be charged. If you have a meter (very cheap), disconnect from charger and take a reading, give it a couple of hours and take the reading again should be around 12.8.

alternatively buy a small 12 volt solar panel, was going for £9.00 in maplin. won't charge flat battery but will keep it topped up whilest not in use.

Just been out to check mine. Main Battery 12.85 volts.

other wise invest in new Battery.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Don. Local garage told me to bring it down on Monday and they will test it for me. Will invest in a meter for the future though. Having only bought the van recently I have no way of knowing how old this batttery is so I don't mind purchasing a new one. Thanks again

Daft question I know but would attaching it to electricity from the house via a hook up charge the van battery ?

Thanks *****, we do have a hook up on the camper. The mechanic that services our car built his own camper so he's going to give me a bit of a lesson on how the electrics work, I think I'm going to need it !

Whilest on the subject of Batteries. Mine is a Boxer Base and in the passenger footwell is an isolation switch, you know, the removable red key. I know it isolates one of the batteries but which one and for what purpose.
Thanks.

Don

tried the little red switch today. Power still on in habitation area all lights etc. I use to drive a mini bus for the L/A on that it was called a cutout switch, I assumed that if you switched it off the engine would stall, didnt ty it out, so Im not sure. Nothing in manual.
Not to worry. Still hoping to see you all at week-end.
Don

Quick update on battery, put it back in the van yesterday, started first time. Tried it again this morning, started first time again. Will get it checked before we venture to far though. Thanks for all your advice.

Whilest on the subject of Batteries. Mine is a Boxer Base and in the passenger footwell is an isolation switch, you know, the removable red key. I know it isolates one of the batteries but which one and for what purpose.
Thanks.

Don

I suspect that the isolator switch may control a high power link between the domestic and engine batteries. This would enable a "jump" start to be effected from your domestic battery if your engine battery is flattened for any reason (lights left on etc.). Can also be used when on hook up to charge both batteries together. IF I am correct the switch should be normally left in the OFF position.

Things still looking OK for me so should see you on the weekend.

i had the same problem

hi , i know im a bit late with answers but i have just joined the club . i read your article and i had the same problem as you . the onboard charging system is only for the domestic battery and the poor old engine battery gets nothing unles the engine is running . i went to good old halfords and bauught a battery saver / charger which cost £24.95 . just a little wiring and plug it in and it keeps your battery in tip top condition . i have now fittem mine in perminently so whenever i plug in to a shore line im on charge . hope this info helps someone out there . regards kevin:)

problem solved

When you hook up only the domestic battery is charged by the built-in charger (220V>12V). (Same with solar-cels). If your van is idle for a few weeks or months the battery is lowering; this is caused by some 'small hidden consumers' e.g. the blinker of the alarm system. So: or disconnect the engine battery, or put a cutout switch.
An extra charger could be handsome but is really not needed. You can wire the build-in charger with the engine battery, when you are hooked up. Just place a one-way diode on the wire or the weaker battery will drain the other.
Normally your domestic battery has to be a traction battery (could be discharged minus 40% - a start battery is gone then).

Have sussed out the little red switch. To stop the vehicle battery from going flat with habitation battery as they are linked for charging purposes. Switched on the engine charges both batteries, off and only the engine battery is charged. Like wise ON and connected to mains, both baterries charged OFF only the habitation battery is charged.:confused:

I hate things that i dont know thier purpose.:rolleyes:

Don

Ignore me , Its an age thing. I jumped right to the end and didnt read the reply's from before.
Thanks on and all.

Don
The daft old ---:eek:

Have sussed out the little red switch. To stop the vehicle battery from going flat with habitation battery as they are linked for charging purposes. Switched on the engine charges both batteries, off and only the engine battery is charged. Like wise ON and connected to mains, both baterries charged OFF only the habitation battery is charged.:confused:

I hate things that i dont know thier purpose.:rolleyes:

Don

Could it be if its a normal on off switch, on when engine running auxiliary charges then when engine not running you switch it off this stops your starter battery going flat. :)

Between vehicle battery and domestic should be a one-way relay or diode;
which doesn't allow the vehicle battery to discharge to the (weaker) domestic one. (a swicht will do too)

Between vehicle battery and domestic should be a one-way relay or diode;
which doesn't allow the vehicle battery to discharge to the (weaker) domestic one. (a switch will do too)

I think you are right Trev. Connected to that is a small plastic box 4 Wires connected, I wonder if that is a split charger. mega problem when you dont have a wiring diagram.:mad: Grrrrrrrrr

Don

I think you are right Trev. Connected to that is a small plastic box 4 Wires connected, I wonder if that is a split charger. mega problem when you dont have a wiring diagram.:mad: Grrrrrrrrr

Don
Don i am not sure but the plastic box may be a relay. :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back