Automated Fuel Pumps in Spain and Portugal

It is not advisable to use pre pay cards in unmanned stations as most often a large deposit is taken before you fill, then the cost of your fuel is deducted, but the balance of the deposit is not returned to your card for many days.

What do you use then Graham?

The amount which is displayed on the screen ( varies between 80 euros and 149 euros :rolleyes2: ) is reserved against your card immediately.

This is replaced by the amount you actually spend once it is requested which can take several days.

We`ve known times when the fuel cost hasn`t been taken off the card for as much as 20 - 25 days after the purchase.

Theoretically you can have 600 - 800+ euros reserved on your card at any one time reducing your credit available.

A couple of years back due to an unexpected expensive repair and several consecutive large fuel fill ups we got perilously close to our credit limit whilst in France.

We had to ring the Halifax and pay the large sum ( repair ) off in order to continue using the card which is normally only used for fuel so does not have a overly large credit limit on it.

In one particular case at a unmanned SuperU station i had 149 euros reserved against the card for over 10 days but had only actually spent 9.50 euros on GPL / LPG.

I use my Saga card, not the best but Martin Lewis says it is pretty near!

I do use Caxton and Fairfx for normal payments

MSE say my NatWest Credit and HSBC Debit are okay but nit the best and I have a Revolut card as a prepay was looking at maybe another (probably FairFX) but not sure if its overkill. The £50 minimum on the Caxton put me off a bit but it doesn't really matter I suppose just I wasn't going to load until rates look good or I need to load it. Pre paid cards are all new to me though, last time I was in France I took cash and just kept card as emergency

It is not advisable to use pre pay cards in unmanned stations as most often a large deposit is taken before you fill, then the cost of your fuel is deducted, but the balance of the deposit is not returned to your card for many days.

In 5 years that i have use the pay as you go card here i never have had problems with them now we have an account so i have not used the one i have in the van but all i use to do was put 20 euros on it when it was empty

I have a Clarity card which is very useful .
Generally I use my debit card for fuel

Ken, I think you have been very lucky or you have a special card as it is well documented on many sites and the pre pay card companies advise against. What card do you have? you mention pay as you go, I presume you mean pre pay cards, where you load the card and spend later.

If they still do them you ask for a pay as you go you pay on the card what you like say to start with 20 euros when you have used the 20 euros you go to the till and put 20 euros on again we use them over here a lot before but now we have account so just get one bill every 2 months

An update on this thread. I crossed into Spain a month ago and into Portugal two weeks ago, back into Spain now as I straddle the border at Badajoz, surrounded by Frenchies on this aire! I have had absolutely no problems paying for fuel on my Revolut card. I haven't come across automated, pre-pay pumps anywhere. Spain is significantly cheaper than France and Portugal, keep an eye out for the Easygas stations, cheapest I paid was €1.169. Estaciones de servicio - easygas

Thanks all.

A nice location at the Badajoz aire. A nice park and bridge to wander around.
Need for blocks though!
Yes a cracking spot with a lovely view of the fortified town over the river. I'm on a bit of a Peninsular War trek at the moment, something to plan the route around. As you say most of the spots are slightly sloping but the ones at the top end are quite level. Third night here, going to move on tomorrow unfortunately :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back