Auto Quest Imala?

Toffeecat

I have finally given up and decided to get my first and last new motorhome or maybe low mileage second hand one. Ive had a look around lots of dealers as I may have to trade in my Suntor 120 if I cant sell it privately. I really like the look of these motorhomes and wondered if anyone has or does own one and are they any good? I had a look around one yesterday and they look great and seem well built. Im still pretty cheesed off at selling my motorhome as its my first one and I love it but can see the reason in buying a one off motorhome and buggering of to Europe or around Britain for months as my two birth is a tad small for me, the missus and my two cats. Ok for when im off in Scotland doing wildlife photography but she wants a bit more space when touring. My brother died and told me to spend the cash and enjoy myself and so Id better do what he said.

Thanks

Mick, Denise, Toffee and Squeek

Do you mean an Autotrail Imala,

If you do I can recommend them, we have the budget version the Autotrail Tribute 715, you save about 5k on the imala and the main thing that you don't have is a built in drop down TV which is over the cab seats so it's not in a good place anyway.

Nice and spacious, we have the convenience and comfort of a double fixed bed, all round a great van and great value for money.

If i had to complain about anything it would be that the bathroom is a bit tight, and the stored dinning table used to break out of it's cupboard on corners( but it stands on a bit of none slip now and stays put.

We had it a year and made a couple of sensible mods, Solar panel, Gas-it kit external BBQ piont and our own TV (still no aeriel, DVD's only).

A tow bar will be next to protect the back GRP skirt but we are extremely happy with it.

Ken.

If I had for any reason to replace my van the Imala 625 would certainly be on my short list. You do hear of some quality issues on new Autotrails, but I’ve been quite impressed by the Imalas I’ve seen and a friend who has one is happy with it. I’ve found that the layout of the 625 has been ideal for our needs.

I compared the Tribute and Imala last year. You may save £5k buying s Tribute but I noticed that the Tribute has no step, so you need to carry a caravan type loose one, under bed storage only has loose plywood sheets and not gas struts like the Imala. There were other things that you could tell were not such quality as the Imala. One thing I like about all Autotrails is the washroom with separate shower with bifold door. If you want even better quality then the Tracker range is another step up.

I have a 715, saw it new and had to have it . Love it.
If only the locker was a bit taller ( making the bed higher).
I've looked at changing it, not because it don't fill all the boxes, because I don't want to see it getting worn.
For me it's just right and I can't find anything to match it.

I compared the Tribute and Imala last year. You may save £5k buying s Tribute but I noticed that the Tribute has no step, so you need to carry a caravan type loose one, under bed storage only has loose plywood sheets and not gas struts like the Imala. There were other things that you could tell were not such quality as the Imala. One thing I like about all Autotrails is the washroom with separate shower with bifold door. If you want even better quality then the Tracker range is another step up.

I don't know what tribute you were looking at but I can confirm the 715 bed is not loose slats, it is gas strut assisted and the doorway has an electric, self retracting step.

I don't know what tribute you were looking at but I can confirm the 715 bed is not loose slats, it is gas strut assisted and the doorway has an electric, self retracting step.

It was the 615 version of both.

Long story Of my Autotrail Imala 734, and I have to say what my experience has been so far.
I collected it a 2019 plate Brand shiny and new in April.
2 days after collecting the reverse camera decided to be intermittant, then didnt work at all, a few days later I noticed the front right speaker also didnt work , and a few more days and my mate said the reverse lights didnt work. OK me thinks, all could be part of the same electrical problem, and its been back in to the garage where I purchased (50 miles away) 3 times and still not fixed. Currently awaiting a replacement "sat nav/radio console" to be replaced which they hope will fix those 3 problems.

In the meantime 4 or 5 of the overhead cabinet catches have fell off,(really bad design I think) both the towel holders in the bathroom fell off after a week, (grub screws missing) Door seal fell off the driver AND passengers door, The side cab window blinds one one side has fell out of its holders, and the small narrow window blind on the hab door doesnt stay up for privacy..... all easy fixed but still not good build quality stuff and the extractor fan on the toilet sounds like its bearings have gone already it rattles so much, and the extractor over the cooking area with skylight, now wouldnt open?? so i had to get on the roof to pull it as my son would the "winder" then i applied some wd 40. .but why should I? .

OH and I tried to use the usb socket under the front dash today for the very first time...the connection is so Loose so doesnt stay on.

In between waiting for the various things to be fixed, I went to bed one night pressed the "lock all doors button" woke in the morning and exited the habitation door closed it behind me and couldnt get back in. LOCKED OUT 2 Jack russells LOCKED IN . To get back in I was lucky the rear "boot" panel was unlocked front he night before, so i crawled in and forced the mattress/bed up and "broke" into my own van, drew some admiring looks from my fellow campers. The hab door now cant be used as its locked shut and Ive tried all things to release it. PAIN in the ass getting in the cab doors each time.

The fridge wont work on leisure battery, only hook up (some design this way I think to avoid drainage of the main battery) but looking at the manual Domtec rm5310 this should work.
One little pedantic moan are the mud flaps, god they rattle when a wind out, poor design.

having went to the garage, the sales person I bought it through, told me to go to after sales across the road, after sales guy didnt work today said the Parts Guy :rolleyes2: , and the service manager was busy. I need to go back Monday when the aftersales guy was in. They didnt even say can i take your number and we will get someone to call you. So as you can understand Im a little peed off.
Good points, drives well, Microwave is a beast, seats are comfy and storage space a plenty, and overall a nice comfy van, but Im a little miffed atm.

I held off coming here or anywhere else to tell my little story until I gotten some answers from the dealer OR the manufacturer, but as the dealer is still feet draggiing and I emailed Autotrail over a week ago and still had no response from them, I thought Id share my experience thus far .

Not the best start to my "autotrail" marriage. I had a similar sized Chausson a few years ago,and never an issue, Im already thinking of selling.

Id like to add the only folk to use the van is me and my 2 jack russells, not hoard of kids or anything breaking things.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your having problems, I hope this helps,

The door lock button in the cab only locks the cab doors not the hab door, this door jammed on us once and it was because the lock was only half turned and i had to be a bit forceful with it. try locking and unlocking with the key and use a bit more pressure to open it, as i say it happen once and once only for us.

The leisure battery does not run the fridge, when you press the 12v battery symbol it is for charging the fridge when the engine is running, when your parked you change over to gas or 240v.

Our skylight is stiff and I will try your WD40 trick.

Hope you get the rest of the problems sorted.

That confirms that going self build is the only way as if it goes wrong i simply complain to myself.:hammer:

I suppose this is where they cut the cost by not having a habitation door that is part of the remote locking. Seems a bit daft really that you have to lock the cab doors then the habitation door separately. As for the fridge our Dometic fridge has an automatic setting ( Not Autotrail MH ) this switches itself from gas to 12v when on the move and onto 240v when we connect to EHU. Again if yours is not automatic it's down to converter cutting costs. If they build 4000 units a year ( Caravans and MH's ) and they save £10 on each one by buying in cheaper kit then the savings start mounting up. £40,000 a year is a saving and sod the customer he will just have to put up with it.

We have noticed that some of the new MHs are now using the narrow fridges with built in ice box. Not a lot of use really but then they do need to fit a microwave and full sizes cooker with the electric hot plate.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back