Attach rear porch awning.

Vardy

This would be the most useful to me, as I use back doors to enter/leave van. It would also stop draught from back door and provide storage.

However, gutter is too close to top of back doors and I would have to affix new rail above rear doors. (can't throw it over).

Q's: - Is it safe to affix new rail to Hi Top, as it is not metal. (Autosleeper '95 is it GRP?) Don't want wind to tear chunk of my roof out! (or weakening occur).

- Will it damage anything behind fixings.

- Should it be stuck, or drilled or both. (Don't want clamps as need facing edge to be waterproof).

- Will it encourage leaks.

- Has anyone got any better solution?

I will be going to reputable MH builder to have this done - but I don't want to persuade them to make changes that might cause any of the above in the longer term. (I'm keepin' the old beast for a while yet).

Many thanks, - Helena.

This would be the most useful to me, as I use back doors to enter/leave van. It would also stop draught from back door and provide storage.

However, gutter is too close to top of back doors and I would have to affix new rail above rear doors. (can't throw it over).

Q's: - Is it safe to affix new rail to Hi Top, as it is not metal. (Autosleeper '95 is it GRP?) Don't want wind to tear chunk of my roof out! (or weakening occur).

- Will it damage anything behind fixings.

- Should it be stuck, or drilled or both. (Don't want clamps as need facing edge to be waterproof).

- Will it encourage leaks.

- Has anyone got any better solution?

I will be going to reputable MH builder to have this done - but I don't want to persuade them to make changes that might cause any of the above in the longer term. (I'm keepin' the old beast for a while yet).

Many thanks, - Helena.

My satelite dish is stuck to the Fribreglass Roof with a glue (Styloflex?). It is a large (85cm) dish and it stand all sorts. The Safari room blew over the van and broke the drive shaft inside, bit didn't lift it from the roof.

I wouldn't use screws as they provide a potential water ingress point.

i would have thought if your going to a reputable motorhome place to have done they would know best way to do it! only my opinion:)

That's exactly what I was wondering John. Although it's going to be fitted by MH guys, it is quite an old van.

Their 'take' is probably going to be belt and braces i.e. Likely to want to drill and stick it.
Personally, I would definitely prefer NOT to have holes in the aged fabric of the van!

So info on how robust others 'gluing' jobs have been is very valuable. It's difficult to know sometimes what's best when the van is heading towards being a 'new classic':)

But I don't want to be standing in the porch in my nightie when it blows away either! - I take it I can tie down a porch with extra webbing, as you can with an awning?

That's exactly what I was wondering John. Although it's going to be fitted by MH guys, it is quite an old van.

Their 'take' is probably going to be belt and braces i.e. Likely to want to drill and stick it.
Personally, I would definitely prefer NOT to have holes in the aged fabric of the van!

So info on how robust others 'gluing' jobs have been is very valuable. It's difficult to know sometimes what's best when the van is heading towards being a 'new classic':)

But I don't want to be standing in the porch in my nightie when it blows away either! - I take it I can tie down a porch with extra webbing, as you can with an awning?

My Hymer is 1992

We had a Safari Room take off on us at Tan Hill. It was an experience I would not like to repeat.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back