Applecross Peninsula

FlyingKiwi

Has anyone been over the Bealach na Ba Pass to the Applecross Peninsula in Scotland? What's the road like? OK for an old VW Kombi Camper?

awrite mate, i've been the is very steep at bits and some dodgy bends aswell,just take ur time and u should be fine..

We traveled across it years ago in a Fiat Amigo (900cc engine) without any problems.
Not recommended on a foggy day!

Just like home

Thanks for that guys. I checked out some photos - looks very much like the road to Milford Sound in New Zealand...

Went over in a T4 Trident a few years back. The decent into Applecross though not as steep can be awkward if you meet anything large.
Well worth the trip though particularly if you return via the scenic coast road

Brian

I do this regularly and, over the years, have used everything from a 7.5ltr. Ford Ltd. Wagon to a Smart car! Now a T5 Lwb Autosleepers.
Frankly, except in snow, it is overrated - there is a worse climb in Torquay and on Skye.
Drive steadily, watch for the last hairpin from the Kishorn side and enjoy the view from the area at the top.
Only warning is, be sure the top is clear of cloud as it is that section which is dangerous with drops from the side, usually at the edge of passing areas!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back