Apple Airtags being used to steal Mohos?

GeoffL

It seems there's been at least a couple of incidents where Apple Airtags have been hidden on target motorhomes, potentially marking them to be stolen at a later date. In one case, the Airtag was hidden in the EHU receptacle in a position that wasn't easily visible and where it wouldn't foul plug/socket when in use. A dealer found it while servicing the vehicle and thought it was the owners... until the owner denied all knowledge! A quick search of the 'net suggests that this has been common for cars for some time as well as use for tracking people without their consent. :eek:
Anyway, the same search also revealed that Apple users have inbuilt detection for Airtags and that Android users are also catered for via Google Play (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apple.trackerdetect) AFAICT, the Tracker Detect app will warn of any airtag travelling with you and out of Bluetooth range of its owner, giving you a 'heads up' if you or your stuff is being tracked...

No panic. My (Samsung) phone is set to warn me if it detects any unknown trackers nearby. Go to Settings - Safety and Emergency - Unknown tracker alerts - and make sure Allow alerts is on.
Weirdly, mine (A40) doesn't -- but I have installed the Apple app I mentioned in the OP.

No panic. My (Samsung) phone is set to warn me if it detects any unknown trackers nearby. Go to Settings - Safety and Emergency - Unknown tracker alerts - and make sure Allow alerts is on.
Thanks for that, I see mine is turned on by default 👍

Mines turned on by default but needs Bluetooth turned on which I don't often do.

Having said that I sometimes do when I'm driving which is when it matters, but I doubt anybody would put a tracker on my van! :LOL:

Using other Android phones, in Settings, type the word "tracker" in the search field and it will offer you a link to "Unknown tracker alerts" if this facility is available on your phone.

I’ve got AirTags in all my vehicles with the speakers removed had this for a while now you would have to take my van apart in a lab to find them. So not all bad just an extra layer of protection.

I wish someone would nick mine, we love it but its worth more stolen than it would be selling it. No scrub that I'll lock it up tonight for a change, we're hoping for a couple of nights away this weekend

There was another report saying this story was BS some were asking why a mechanic servicing a vehicle would need to go into the EHU point but who knows better to be safe than sorry.
TBH, I had similar first thoughts but the version both Jan and I found independently of the other said that there was an issue with the 240v system on the van and examination of of the EHU port was one of the checks carried out while troubleshooting. That said, there's lots of info on the 'net of these devices being used to target high-value cars.

As a dedicated long time Samsung fan i never knew that :unsure:

Just checked and it was already turned on but the Bluetooth also needs to be turned on as well.

Thank you (y)

Thank you, checked and it was already set, I did not know I had the setting.🤔

Must be newer than my S10 :( :(

Weirdly, mine (A40) doesn't -- but I have installed the Apple app I mentioned in the OP.
Using other Android phones, in Settings, type the word "tracker" in the search field and it will offer you a link to "Unknown tracker alerts" if this facility is available on your phone.
Thanks. I just checked and although my Samsung A40 doesn't have Settings->Safety and Emergency->Unknown Tracker Alerts, searching for "tracker" in the Settings does produce the required app. Checking, I note it's turned on by default and its config page notes that Bluetooth must be enabled for it to work.

Ha!! so it do.

It's on and last one was yesterday.

1728462470279.jpeg

Security is getting a bit crazy out there, our new car is keyless entry so I had to buy this the other day.

I does work, I put the spare in the pouch and the house/car keys in the box and stood next to the car it wouldn't open when I press the button on the door handle.

So easy

Back