Animal health certificate

Herbenny

Has anyone used Abbeywell vets for their animal health certificate ?
Is it as straight forward as it sounds ?
They seem to be much cheaper than my local vets.

Also I take it we need to have checks on the way back home somewhere in Calais could anyone recommend a place please ?

Thanks

Abbeywell are fantastic, we have used them before we got a Portuguese pet passport for our dog, we also use the vets in Graveline for our return trip, it is not the cheapest but you can park on the road outside, and the vet is very good 👍

From what I know they are as good as people say. There is also a vet in monmouth and another in cardiff that charge the same..we have a eu pet passport so don't need a AHC.
You need a worming tablet at least 24hrs and not more than 120hrs before returning to the uk.
Try the group on faceache for vets

Also I take it we need to have checks on the way back home somewhere in Calais could anyone recommend a place please ?

Thanks
Thumbs up from me re Abbeywell. Simple , efficient and reasonable price

I used Abbeywell twice before getting Jones a Belgian EU Pet Passport.

Straightforward and helpful.

They have a car park round the back that I used the first time. Not a good idea as it turned out. The exit is onto a very narrow one way street.

I'd advise street parking on Castle Hill Avenue. I had no trouble finding a place and it's only a short walk.

I used AHC Direct this year. It's the one based in Monmouth but they offer a service across central England. £100.

Check out their website.

Another vote here for Abbeywell, they are very good.
Used the AHC to get Max to Portugal for his European Passport,
Coming home is a quick visit to any vet for a tapeworm tablet timed between one day and five days before the crossing.
Pop into the Pet Reception Centre at Calais, either the ferry or Chunnel, and you are on your way home, simples Jac!

Apologies if you know this already and I'm preaching to the choir.

But if you get a pet passport (and it's a really good idea to do it) just make sure the date entered for the rabies vaccination isn't any earlier than the date the vet enters as the 'chip implantation/read' date.

Most vets will put in the chip date as the date they read it (as they didn't actually do the implant). That will therefore be the date that they are issuing the passport. So - if they just copy the date of the last rabies vaccination from your AHC, it will be an earlier date; and the passport won't be valid yet.

To make it valid, you need a rabies booster with a date no earlier than the 'chip read' date. Then, the passport is valid 21 days later, after the rabies vaccination has become fully effective (use your AHC to return if you need to).

So the easiest way to be sure, is to get a rabies booster at the same time as they do the passport. There's no harm in that, it's an inert (dead) vaccine and it actually used to be commonplace to give two anyway, to bring the antibodies up to the required level.

And any future rabies boosters need to be done in the EU, a UK vet entry for rabies invalidates the passport.

Last edited:
What we always do is start looking for a vet 5 days (120 hours) before our return. That gives us 4 days to find one, never failed yet and we've used vets all over northern France. The last one we used was in Bavaria.
Thoroughly recommend getting an EU passport. I can recommend a good vet in Ostend where you can park right outside.
If you do get an EU passport keep hold your AHC as you will need it to return if the dog had another rabies to get a passport less than 21 days before travel.
I can also vote for AHC direct, who are opening a branch in Folkestone.

Thanks
Hi. Easy to get AHC,
What we always do is start looking for a vet 5 days (120 hours) before our return. That gives us 4 days to find one, never failed yet and we've used vets all over northern France. The last one we used was in Bavaria.
Thoroughly recommend getting an EU passport. I can recommend a good vet in Ostend where you can park right outside.
If you do get an EU passport keep hold your AHC as you will need it to return if the dog had another rabies to get a passport less than 21 days before travel.
I can also vote for AHC direct, who are opening a branch in Folkestone.
Hi.
Don't know the vets you mentioned. On return to UK get the wormer done outside Calais it's usually much cheaper. You have up to 5 days to get that done. The AHC is checked at the point of departure.
Paul

Search for sites has a european vet category. We used the one in St Mere Eglise (west Normandy). Paperwork, pill and long chat about the D Day celebrations cost 32 Euro. Cheap as chips, costs me £40 just to walk through the door of my local vet at home!

there is a facebook group that has a link to a comprehensive (map of recommended vets for tapeworm treatment ) between the brackets is the facebook group map is a google one find under ‘featured’ on page
IMG_2002.png

i am on my way back from portugal via spain used a vet in palencia kieron vets only €7 , because i am rushing back on compassionate grounds i have made it in 3 days probably more use for people on the lon
g ferry though

If
Hi. Easy to get AHC,

Hi.
Don't know the vets you mentioned. On return to UK get the wormer done outside Calais it's usually much cheaper. You have up to 5 days to get that done. The AHC is checked at the point of departure.
Paul
If your pet had a rabies booster less than 21 days before your return and it is recorded in a new pet passport, you WILL need your AHC to prove that it was a booster and therefore 21 day rule does not apply.

You have ONLY 4 days to get worming done as you must travel between 24 and 120 hours after treatment. 120-24 = 96 hours (4 days).

If someone relied on your advice, they could potentially get turned away at Calais for anything between 24 hours and 21 days.

You have ONLY 4 days to get worming done as you must travel between 24 and 120 hours after treatment. 120-24 = 96 hours (4 days
a little confusing this your dog must have been wormed more than 24 & less than 120 hours to comply i agree the window is 96 hrs but that isn’t really relevant

Back