An interesting weekend

888dee

We bought our Frankia a couple of months ago now but due mainly to unforeseen work it required not made it out before now.

Anyway, speaking to a mate last week and said we had pretty much decided where to park up for a "wild" ;) night but didn't know what to do otherwise to which he said "why are you thinking like a caravaner?"

his advice was find somewhere fun to go and worry about somewhere to stop over later, seemed reasonable enough so off we went to Summerlee in Coatbridge and intending to head toward stirling.

Great day at Summerlee and found a quiet spot a few miles from Denny to stop and have dinner but I wasn't happy with it as a location to over night as was right on the side of the road so off we went in search of somewhere better.

after many miles and a fair bit of stress (never gone wild in anything with wheels before) finally occured to crack out the netbook and log on here, suggestion gained and off we went with renewed enthusiasm for the whole thing.

Found a spot beside Loch Venachar, brief moment of panic when local plod appeared and spoke to each of the tenters in turn but didn't come anywhere near us so had a thoroughly agree-able evening and dropped off listening to owls and like going about their business, woke to a beautiful morning and ate my cocopops (yes I know lol) looking out on a cracking view, bit of a walk after breakfast and made our move about 11, kids wanted to know when we are going back :)

what I have learnt is even though wild is wild some planning is required to make sure you're not driving about as it's getting dark to find somewhere suitable, especially for us as our van is nearly 7.5 metres long unless heading to the highlands where places to park up are much easier to come by...

anyway, sorry for the long post just thought I would share my experience of our 1st weekend out on the wild side and have gained a bit of confidence in what we can do.

wouldn't have managed without this site though!

what I have learnt is even though wild is wild some planning is required to make sure you're not driving about as it's getting dark to find somewhere suitable, especially for us as our van is nearly 7.5 metres long unless heading to the highlands where places to park up are much easier to come by...

Hi, here endeth the first lesson! Good man, glad you enjoyed your trip, and the kids. Keep posting all your new finds to help others:cool:

Happy Camping:)

Well done, glad you got out there and enjoyed. My breakfast is usually a guinness shandy and pastrami and coleslaw sandwich, never conform and keep on keepin on....Bob

And on the seventh day he parked and he saw that it was good!
Chapter 1, verse 7. Revised Wilders bible.
Paol.

Don't worry, I love coco pops too!
If Ive got no other food in the van I must have coco pops!:D

Sounds like the experience has enthused you, I am sure it will not be much longer before you are off somewhere else wilding :)

thanks for the encouragement folks, I am serious when I say I doubt we'd have taken the step without the invaluable advice on this site, I had nearly given up on saturday and had even tried to phone a campsite which (fortunately) was closed :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back