American Motorhomes

billy1000

Has anyone on here any information on the Tiffen Allegro Bay? I am going to look at one tomorrow with a view to buying it but wondered if anyone had either bought one before or driven one and what their experiences were, good or bad. It is a 6.2cc diesel with full spec by the looks of it. Any views would be welcome.

I used to have one and I can say this in all honesty, think very carefully about owning one unless you are very wealthy. Mine was deisel and driven at a steady 60mph returned 12mpg also the maintainence costs were very high. Also take a good look underneath you might have a shock. My Sunsport was built on a John Deer chassis with a 6cyl Cummins engine and Auto box. You will also have to watch out for delamination. The Onon generators run well as long as they are regularly serviced otherwise big problems. Dudleys are in my opinion the best dealers for servicing. Good luck.

roland rat said:
I used to have one and I can say this in all honesty, think very carefully about owning one unless you are very wealthy. Mine was deisel and driven at a steady 60mph returned 12mpg also the maintainence costs were very high. Also take a good look underneath you might have a shock. My Sunsport was built on a John Deer chassis with a 6cyl Cummins engine and Auto box. You will also have to watch out for delamination. The Onon generators run well as long as they are regularly serviced otherwise big problems. Dudleys are in my opinion the best dealers for servicing. Good luck.
Thanks for that mate. Had a look at it this morning and must admit I was quite taken with it. I was looking in and around it for about three hours and couldn't see much wrong with it and the engine sounded sweet but will take on board what you said about the mpg. Wasn't expecting miracles really from an engine that size but a good piece of kit for towing my car with.

RV's

We had a 25ft Winne with a 7.4ltr V8!!! 11.3mpg at any speed and any load!! Was told what you are looking at should give 14mpg, but I'm sure 12 is more honest!!
Most parts are easily obtainable, remember LHD incures an extra 25% loading on insurance!
Good luck, if I win the Lotto I would buy a 27ft Sunsport pusher tomorrow, but until then I'll make do with my Chausson that gives 25-30mpg which I can also park in most carparks - you'll be looking for coach bays or risk a fine like I got in Christchurch for 'parking outside the marked bays'!

Nosha said:
We had a 25ft Winne with a 7.4ltr V8!!! 11.3mpg at any speed and any load!! Was told what you are looking at should give 14mpg, but I'm sure 12 is more honest!!
Most parts are easily obtainable, remember LHD incures an extra 25% loading on insurance!
Good luck, if I win the Lotto I would buy a 27ft Sunsport pusher tomorrow, but until then I'll make do with my Chausson that gives 25-30mpg which I can also park in most carparks - you'll be looking for coach bays or risk a fine like I got in Christchurch for 'parking outside the marked bays'!

Might get away with the parking charges. Put my blue badge in the window.

clarkpeacock said:
Not with Safeguard.....

Just phoned Safeguard and they quoted me over £800 to insure an Allegro Bay. Quote from NFU was just over £400.:rolleyes:

billy1000 said:
Just phoned Safeguard and they quoted me over £800 to insure an Allegro Bay. Quote from NFU was just over £400.:rolleyes:

Got me worried as I have just had my renewal on a 4 year old Hobby 750 at just over £500. Got on line quotes from NFU and Adrian Flux at about about the same cost but they don't include European Breakdown cover which Safeguard does.

Just goes to show you have to shop around as different types of van at different companies seem to vary wildly in cost.

Another 4 years and I can get SAGA to quote - hear they are quite cheap.

clarkpeacock said:
Got me worried as I have just had my renewal on a 4 year old Hobby 750 at just over £500. Got on line quotes from NFU and Adrian Flux at about about the same cost but they don't include European Breakdown cover which Safeguard does.

Just goes to show you have to shop around as different types of van at different companies seem to vary wildly in cost.

Another 4 years and I can get SAGA to quote - hear they are quite cheap.

I was well pleased with the NFU quote as I had been paying £430 on a Kontiki.

billy1000 said:
Supposed to be getting it Monday. Guy's on holiday (not in m/h) till then in Denmark.
i'm getting excited that your getting a new m/h ha ha ...oh i cant wait to see a pic of it...:D

sammclouis said:
i'm getting excited that your getting a new m/h ha ha ...oh i cant wait to see a pic of it...:D

There is a small pic of it under new addition thread but will get some decent ones done when I take delivery. Counting the days.:) :) :)

***** said:
Congratulations on your new motorhome Billy.:cool:
Hope you will be happy & have many good journeys:cool: :D :)

Thanks *****, much appreciated. I hope so too and maybe our paths will cross at some point and we can sit and have a beer together.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back