All those with self built vans please read

Fisherman

After Rob pointed out that a gas check may be required by insurance companies to comply with insurance, I decided to check this out with my own insurers. ERS done through AIB. On section 24 of the conditions I found this.

Loss or damage resulting from fire or explosion in connection with the on-board domestic gas supply to
privately converted motorhomes where the supply is not fitted or serviced in accordance with the Gas Safety (Installation & use) Regulations

ERS Motorhome – MH 012

Yesterday morning I contacted AIB for clarification, and they confirmed that this applies only to self built vans, not professionally converted vans. And they stated that this was the case with most if not all insurers.

Reading this having your gas installation certified might be a way of resolving this issue.

Last edited:
Ferk in in poo poo, i did ask when taking ins and they said no, will look again.

i'm not sure of the value of a certificate on an installation that can reach speeds of 70 mph and can be subject to sudden deceleration . still i suppose it makes people feel safer and someone makes a few quid

i'm not sure of the value of a certificate on an installation that can reach speeds of 70 mph and can be subject to sudden deceleration . still i suppose it makes people feel safer and someone makes a few quid

Yes I agree Nigel.

Someone makes a few quid and the Insurance companies use it to get out of a payout if you don't comply. But I suppose you could be liable for 6 figure damages if your van was to blow up on a site and take out other vans/lives - if you survived.

Back