Air suspension inflation.

jo662

Hi I have a moblivetta driver 52 on a Fiat Chassis.It has air suspension which has lost its air,ive tried to blow it up at a normal services pump but the nozzle doesnt fit.Can anyone tell me weres best place to blow it up.And is there an inflater you can buy from Halfords and the like.
Hope its not a stupid question,as this is my first motorhome and im still learning.
Thanx Jo

Don't mean to imply, but you have taken the dust cap off. as any standard airline fits.

Don

Don't mean to imply, but you have taken the dust cap off. as any standard airline fits.

Don

Ha ha yes i have taken dust cap off.Must be something wrong with valve then as tried two different garage airlines and niether would inflate it.
Jo

Ok, mine has two levers, one red, one blue. Both should be in the upright position. are we looking at the same fittings ? as mine is "Airide"

Don

I dont think so,mines just got a valve and a gauge.But it also has two screws beside the gauge,perhaps they are the same as your levers.
Jo

No can help. I use a standard 12 volt tyre pump.unless some one come on with knowledge of that particular system, I would suggest going back to the seller and asking if they can advise.
Sorry.

Don

Mine's an unbranded aftermarket system, but the valve is the same as on the tyres (Schraeder).

Is there just one fill point for two airbags. If so then there must be some sort of valve(s) to be able to fill each bag in turn - unless of course they are both connected together permanently but that would be unusual.

Mine just has one valve for both airbags. When the pipe connecting one of them sprung a leak, I lost pressure in both, so they must be connected.

a pic would help.. Is the valve fitting a bit bigger than a normal tyre valve if so you need a earth mover adaptor(a plant fitter or soemmewhere that does plant moving equipment can sell you one)thats if its that type of valve.

Mine just has one valve for both airbags. When the pipe connecting one of them sprung a leak, I lost pressure in both, so they must be connected.

You should look into changing that arrangement. My van was similarly plumbed, one line tee'd to both rear airbags, very disappointed with the system.

This arrangement actually has a detrimental efffect to the handling, causing increased bodyroll especially when cornering and negotiating roundabouts. Air is transferred from the compressed loaded airspring (airbag) to the opposite unloaded side inflating it and actually increasing body lift on the corner you don't want lifted :eek:

Since I changed my single pipe arrangement to two pipes & two gauges (actually one gauge with two needles) isolating each side my van is now vastly more stable on roundabouts etc.

It took me a while to figure out what was wrong with the handling, I wrongly assumed it was water sloshing around in the big watertanks which both run sideways across the van having no baffles in them:rolleyes:

John

Has anyone got airide on a mercedes.We had it fitted at the Northern show. Problem now is a vibratio nwhen we get to around 50mph. We took the van to the garage, they think its causing vibration on the centre bearing of the prop shaft due to the increased angle to the later part of the prop shaft into diff box at the rear?Also it appears to be leaking air we have had to top it up 2 times since it was fitted 3 weeks ago.
We have telephoned them and are seeing them on Friday at Malvern and they will have alook at it..
sorry if im hijacking this thread!!

Val

Has anyone got airide on a mercedes.We had it fitted at the Northern show. Problem now is a vibratio nwhen we get to around 50mph. We took the van to the garage, they think its causing vibration on the centre bearing of the prop shaft due to the increased angle to the later part of the prop shaft into diff box at the rear?Also it appears to be leaking air we have had to top it up 2 times since it was fitted 3 weeks ago.
We have telephoned them and are seeing them on Friday at Malvern and they will have alook at it..

Val

How old is the Merc Chassis? I have had similar vibration and a squeak on my trade Sprinter van (2005) no air suspension. The cause was the handbrake intermittently sticking on slightly. After a bit of lube on the h/brake cable spring equalizer thing the vibration went away:D

Could also be an out of balance rear wheel? Have you changed tyres recently?

john

Val

Yes, universal joints are only good up to a certain angle and beyond that will cause problems. One of my vehicles has alterable suspension configuration to give a better appearance for permanent loads above a certain weight and the placard warns about having it in the wrong setting due to reduction in life of the universals.

Hi mercedes is 12 yrs old...been to see Airide they put a new airbag on as the other one had a leak.They say the vibration is nothing to do with the airide suspension .Will check back wheels out when we get home..Also brake did notice the abs light was on comming on but dissapears when we start moving...!
Val

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back