advice needed

stevef

we have a dream of retiring in 5 years and selling up everything and buying a motorhome to travel for the rest of our days. are we mad? what are we letting ourselves in for? and does anyone know someone who has done this and how did they fare?
thanks
steve

Originally posted by stevef@Mar 24 2005, 09:09 PM
we have a dream of retiring in 5 years and selling up everything and buying a motorhome to travel for the rest of our days. are we mad? what are we letting ourselves in for? and does anyone know someone who has done this and how did they fare?
thanks
steve
:huh: Not done It - but like you Ive been tempted to take a Ferry to "Bilbou" In spain (I'm told Its a great voyage) then tour the Spanish coast-line,move on to Portugal touring there for as long as you want. Then I want to travel on to Morroco & down the Sout African coast then make my way to (no fighting permitting) Australia, all this In my M/K 2 (1974) Bay :)

a great many have done it and a lot more are doing it now.
it seems to be the new thing and getting more popular all the time.
many people who do will be found on MotorHome List or Motorhome living. both of these are e-mail discussion groups. a web site to look at would be motor home facts,
you will find some full timers there too.
we still have a 12 year old so we can't full time yet but are thinking about it.
many split their time between the southern countries in spain and france and portugal and then come back to the uk for summer [how do you book for one day a year lol]

every time my kids p**s me of i think about selling up and being full timers born again hippys ..lol we fully intend full timing at some point after all we are only in our fortys need more money and less bills!

In answer to stevf. Go for it. We are now in our 5th year of Full Timing. We originally went to Spain in July 1995 for a 3 month tour (never been there before that). To cut a long story short, we bought a caravan right next to the beach and settled down to a life of almost bliss. We did of course make trips back to see the family sometimes. Just over 4 years ago, we decided to go mobile in a 30ft RV. We have been Wild Camping ever since. In the UK, Holland, Germany, France and of course Spain. Spain is really starting to bug Wild Campers, and a lot of the old sites for parking have disappeared. I can only recommend it. The only downside is finding a nice quite place to stay to be joined by a 100 others :angry: . France is pretty friendly to motorhomes. We have made lot's of friends. Dutch, German, Spanish and of course the odd 1 or 2 British. :D

My wife and i are ready to go full timing and like you need some advice,stuff like insurance,legalalities,cost, ext.We Intend selling practicaly every thing we own but still we could do with getting some idea of how much we expect to need to live off,So like you if anyone can help it would be much appreciated
Thanks Stryder

Hi jafeica7

We are also both in our mid forties and have a son of 23. 3 years ago, we gave up our jobs, sold the house, bought a small cottage and upgraded the motorhome. We spent all of 2003 travelling, 8 months of that in Greece. Last year we 'only' made five 3 week trips ( Three back to Greece!). In three weeks time, we are off for a 4 month tour of the Balkans. From now on, we intend taking 3 or 4 months out every year. To finance this, I have taken an HGV licence and have found that there is plenty of work whenever you want it. My wife is a nurse, so again can get work as and when.

All I can say is that it the best thing we have ever done. OK, so our income is about a fifth of what it was, but when you get rid of the mortgage and other large outgoings, it's suprising how little you need. Anyway, our new lifestyle gives us far more pleasure that we have ever had.

Go for it if you can!!

I'm green with envy! We're in mid 50's and I so much want to spend as much time as poss. travelling. At the moment hubby is only willing to go for a month, nervous, I think. I've done the finances and if we scale down house we really could travel for at least 3 months each year. Why wait till we're too creaky to do it, and I'm getting there fast!! Strange, he's usually the adventurous one and me cautious. Anyway, hopefully we'll do it yet. In the meantime bravo to the brave ones and have a great life.
Mary :wacko:

you could always rent out your house on a 6 month let at a time to help with the finances and go for it. If it doesn't work out then after 6 months you just don't renew the lease and move back in.
roi

:) Yes roifromnwales that's what we do. We rent out our homes to family and have gone full-timing. When we feel the need to go back ( ? ) to a house, we will give fair notice or find other homes for them to live in. :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back