advice needed please

asabrush

Hi all,I've been looking to buy a MH for a long time now,seen so many different types,its been baffling at times! I've narrowed my search down and going back for a second view of a Ahorn camp 612 ,1.9tdi. I've never come across one before and can't find much info ,do any of you own one or have done? Any tips or opinions would be most welcome,thanks Asabrush:)

Sorry i can't help you asabrush but hang in there someone should come to your rescue.
Good Luck :)

I've not heard of it either, will you have a problem getting bits for it?

It's a good layout and a lot of motorhome for that price. It reminds me a bit of some of the Chaussons which are very good value too.

I wouldn't overly worry about getting parts. Many of the parts for the caravan sections seem to be very standard across a wide range of manufacturers while the base vehicle is well covered by the UK dealerships.

It's a good layout and a lot of motorhome for that price. It reminds me a bit of some of the Chaussons which are very good value too.

I wouldn't overly worry about getting parts. Many of the parts for the caravan sections seem to be very standard across a wide range of manufacturers while the base vehicle is well covered by the UK dealerships.

These were pretty much my thoughts too,the van's interior and all bits are in tip top condition,other than the general risk of such a big outlay my main concern was the engine(1'9TDI) ie reliability and pulling power,most MH's I've looked at have had bigger engines.Not sure how this size will "pull"..A

Anyone drive a MH on this size engine? Thanks most kindly for all coments so far:D

I would have thought 1.9 tdi would be very capable of pulling a camper

If the engine is the same as fitted in to the renault laguna range you should have no problems .

Mine has done 178,000 miles and when i push the loud pedal hard there is still a noticable pull back in the seat .

I wish I could take the engine and transplant it in to my Talbot

Welcome to the forum too

Steve

I had a coachbuilt (CI Riviera) similar size van to the one you are looking at. It had a 1.9 TDI engine.... This engine is absolutely gutless, it is so underpowered that driving it is painfull. On the hills you feel as if you want to get out and push the thing, and because the torque is hopeless you are higher up the rev range, so its not that economical either.
Do not buy this van without test driving it, as i'm sure you will be dissapointed with the power.

The 1.9 has always had a reputation as being underpowered. For a start its only 82 BHP, and you can guarantee that its knocking out a good deal less than that at the drive wheel. And this is to tug an overcab coachbuilt !!!!!
I bought mine solely because it was a steal of a price and i thought (Wrongly as it turned out) that it would be economical.
I was glad to get shot of it.

ahorn/

asabrush, I have had a look at the rollerteam 500,its the same layout as your choice but on a tranny chassis and its a wee but cheaper-rollerteam are italian too.
ps-mine is sunlight a69 but they dont make a layout to your wishes.andy

I know I'm going back a bit, but we had an Autosleeper Talisman on a Peugeot chassis with the 2.0ltr non turbo, 22 -24 MPG and as others have said pretty gutless i.e. 45MPH up some of the hills on the M1 around Sheffield!!!!

You DO get what you pay for, and I think you are going to be VERY disappointed with a 1.9. And remember if you go on a test drive the vehicle will be EMPTY! So how ever lively it may feel, fill it up with water, fuel, food, bikes on the back AND ALL THE WIFES CLOTHES and it will soon feel as slow as my A/Sleeper!!

Like the other chap said a small engine does NOT equal good fuel consumption if it's always being driven flat out, our 2.8jdi is giving 24 - 29 MPG so it beats a 2.0td EVERY time. I personally would not consider anything with less than a 2.3ltr.

Sorry to shatter your dreams, but good luck!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back