A tribute to Wessie land !

runnach

I honestly cannot remember this ever being offered in South Yorkshire, it seems and is popular in the Leeds/Dewsbury area..

Wessie s is a term used by other Yorkshire folk to describe those that come from West Yorkshire and not always a term of endearment.

Anyway I did this little delicacy for Michelle tonight, pork pie with hand reared pork, seasoned mushy peas and the star mint sauce ...it gets no easier but tasty

Leon my french dog seemed to approve too as pleasant wafts of food filled the van... my heathen young lady from Liverpool enjoyed it too, but she didn’t sit and stick her snout in the air soaking in flavour like Leon

It’s mad in this van

35906A5F-F94A-4FCA-AD1E-6AD600727340.jpeg
5AA52DBB-1EF7-48E6-922B-086221504DEB.jpeg

Jeez, I could eat that pie and mushy peas right nowo_O

I may throw the dog in the pot too!
Would leave the mint sauce! Very artistic, Channa! Did you make the pie too? Love not water crust, never realised how easy it was to make till fairly recently.

Would leave the mint sauce! Very artistic, Channa! Did you make the pie too? Love not water crust, never realised how easy it was to make till fairly recently.
I didn’t make this pie, a lady here made it in the local coffee shop it was still warm out the oven

Hot water pastry is easy to make in the restaurant we would make our own pork pies using a bottle as a dolly to make the case and cut a lid and seal with finger and thumb

Part of the reason I shared was the unusual ingredient combo ( unusual folk some of these Wessies) the mint sauce missing is sacrilege! My part of York’s meat pie and mushy peas and a lump of coal for dessert

I was working in Leeds about 25 years ago and at lunchtime one of my colleagues disappeared to the bakers and came back with about six portions alarmed at the combo I was even more alarmed with the grunts of satisfaction as they were eaten with gusto, I had a similar experience in Inverness with the scotch pie

Did you put a drop off vinegar in the mushys, looks very edible and the dog is obviously intrigued by the smell :)

Did you put a drop off vinegar in the mushys, looks very edible and the dog is obviously intrigued by the smell :)
The mint sauce means you don't need the vinegar. Back when I were a lad mushy peas and mint sauce was often a meal. Cheap because no meat and everyone had mint in the garden.

There is a wonderful scene in "Sons & Lovers", a 1960 film shot in the village where DHL & myself were born, I auditioned for the crowd scene but didn't get a part :cry:. Someone important is visiting the Morels and Mrs Morel makes a pan of peas for them. Unfortunately, every woman in the village calls in and surreptitiously adds some sugar (everyone's secret ingredient including my old Mum) to the pan.

At the annual Goose fair in Nottingham the are stalls selling only one item - Mushy Peas with mint sauce.

The mint sauce means you don't need the vinegar. Back when I were a lad mushy peas and mint sauce was often a meal. Cheap because no meat and everyone had mint in the garden.

There is a wonderful scene in "Sons & Lovers", a 1960 film shot in the village where DHL & myself were born, I auditioned for the crowd scene but didn't get a part :cry:. Someone important is visiting the Morels and Mrs Morel makes a pan of peas for them. Unfortunately, every woman in the village calls in and surreptitiously adds some sugar (everyone's secret ingredient including my old Mum) to the pan.

At the annual Goose fair in Nottingham the are stalls selling only one item - Mushy Peas with mint sauce.
I was talking about fairs to Michelle over the weekend and mentioned goose fair in Nottingham, she thought I was being rude when i told her about the cock on a stick...unique to goose fair, I used to do a really oldcfair called the Ticklecock near Doncaster

I was talking about fairs to Michelle over the weekend and mentioned goose fair in Nottingham, she thought I was being rude when i told her about the cock on a stick...unique to goose fair, I used to do a really oldcfair called the Ticklecock near Doncaster
goosefair.jpgticklecockfair.jpg

The internet can't lie.

The Tickle cock poster is for this years event. Goosefair is Wednesday 30 September – Sunday 4 October 2020.

I used to love working the annual fair when it came to Loughborough when I was a lad. I was very young (about 7 or 8) so they would only let me work on the stalls rather than the rides.

When they packed up me and my mates would scout around where the rides had been and pick up all of the change which had been dropped.

Back then, the Armstrongs and the Hollands ran the fair, probably still do today.

I honestly cannot remember this ever being offered in South Yorkshire, it seems and is popular in the Leeds/Dewsbury area..

Wessie s is a term used by other Yorkshire folk to describe those that come from West Yorkshire and not always a term of endearment.

Anyway I did this little delicacy for Michelle tonight, pork pie with hand reared pork, seasoned mushy peas and the star mint sauce ...it gets no easier but tasty

Leon my french dog seemed to approve too as pleasant wafts of food filled the van... my heathen young lady from Liverpool enjoyed it too, but she didn’t sit and stick her snout in the air soaking in flavour like Leon

It’s mad in this van

View attachment 76661View attachment 76662
One thing wrong with that plate of food. There should be two pies ;) Mmm, Yum Yum :unsure: I'll have to chat the wife up to make some pies (no chance of buying a
decent pork pie in Westray).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back