A little run around called Daphne.

On this trip we've seen plenty of similar vehicles, ok if you like burning fuel and rubber when a plain Ducato PVC will do the job and be a much better ride.

£80k for a van from the last century? Looks a good job and it probably would be great to go across Africa or into Asia. What about parts though?

Those Leylands drive really nice too, I used to to drive a couple quite often, and I preferred those to any 3.5t van any day.

Better to build lite, more miles less fuel.
door storage.jpg

Better to build lite, more miles less fuel.

Surprisingly building light doesn't make a lot of difference to fuel usage.

Weight (mass for all the pedants in the group) only makes a difference when accelerating or climbing and even then the difference is only proportion to the increase in weight. So adding 100kg to a 3000kg vehicle will increase fuel usage by around 3% whilst accelerating or going uphill, and doesnot impact fuel use when cruising at a steady speed.

The big difference in fuel use is overcoming air resistance which is related to the square of speed.
So cruising at 70 mph compared to 50mph uses (70^2) / (50^2) = 4900 / 2500 = almost twice the fuel.
When I tow my trailer (significantly increasing the vehicle weight) at 50 mph I get far better mpg than travelling solo at 60 mph.

So cruising at 70 mph compared to 50mph uses (70^2) / (50^2) = 4900 / 2500 = almost twice the fuel.
When I tow my trailer (significantly increasing the vehicle weight) at 50 mph I get far better mpg than travelling solo at 60 mph.
When I travel to my MIL's (M1, A421, A1) motorway and dual carriageways I get 53mpg from my Volvo V70 if I travel at a constant 70 mph, if I take my trailer I am limited to 60 mph but pulling more weight, average mpg is 65+, I will try it at 50 mph one day but I hate the journey so usually try to get there as fast as possible

When I travel to my MIL's (M1, A421, A1) motorway and dual carriageways I get 53mpg from my Volvo V70 if I travel at a constant 70 mph, if I take my trailer I am limited to 60 mph but pulling more weight, average mpg is 65+, I will try it at 50 mph one day but I hate the journey so usually try to get there as fast as possible

Yep... it is speed that uses fuel not weight.

Not only does weight wear things out like tyres sus parts, but it could be top heavy and roll, next you will be telling me to slate the roof. 😂

Not only does weight wear things out like tyres sus parts, but it could be top heavy and roll, next you will be telling me to slate the roof. 😂

You can rip pine down as thin as you like Trev or you can buy fairly thin tongue and groove I did this on a previous boat and thin pine is very easy to work with and very light. Shouldn't be any heavier than plywood really.

And when you see that many boats have wooden ceilings - being top heavy matters quite a lot in a heavy sea so they must have given it some thought.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back