A little help needed please fo a newbie.

skidsolo

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to motorhoming (having bought one just before lockdown :rolleyes: LOL), and I need a bit of help using the map referrences on the site with my TomTom Go

I'm putting in map refereneces like this: 55.178390 and 2.783910 but I keep getting the message that my TomTom cannot recognise this as a map reference.

I've also tried putting in just the last 6 digits for each set..... same result.

I also note that some locations only have 5 digits after the sheet number. From past recollections, there should be six. Or am I going senile in my old age?

Can anyone help please?

Cheers,

Al.

Last edited:
You need to work on first no being north 2nd no is either east or west of greenwich meridian so try using - ( minus ) probably need to convert to 5 digit rather than 6 cant remember the system names

You have to check the settings on your Tom Tom, and make sure you are set to accept Digital Coordinates. It will look something like **.******
On Garmin it is shown as dd.dddddd
As a side note, if you get coordinates reading 51.123456 that refers to North
If the second coordinate is 1.****** that is East. Enter 001.******
If the second coordinate is -1.****** that is West. Enter 001.******
Hope this is clear enough 👍
The coordinates you are trying to enter should be entered thus,
North 55.178390, West 002.783910
(55.178390. -2.783910)

Last edited:
The locations are not Grid References.

They are latitude and longitude.

Your sat nav needs to be configured to allow input of latitude and longitude in decimal degrees format i.e. nn.nnnnnn

All the locations in our database are in the Northern hemisphere so have a positive latitude value. However the locations maybe West of the Greenwich meridian, in which case the longitude is negative, or to the East in which case the longitude is positive.

Hi guys,

Sorry to be late in getting back to you, just been a bit busy.

Your help was invaluable and with it I have it sorted now.

Cheers, stay safe and enjoy the rest of the summer........... if we get any that is!!! ;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back