A Eureka moment !......delicious !!!

Channa

Last night as you do, rooting about in my cupboards I found half a packet of Santa Maria Fajita spice mix. Ideal for campers comes in a pouch the size of a lemsip . So doesn't take up much space homebargains 39 pence for two meals I liked the idea already to replace the one I had kicking about for months

A one pot meal so even better I decided to do a Keema V Mexico concoction . Cheffy language for making it up as you go along ...Ladies and Gents discovered a star !!!

Ingredients

1lb of minced lamb in my case but you could use beef too
5 tomatoes
4 cloves of chopped garlic
One large onion
a good pinch of Kasuri Methi ( dried fenugreek ) optional
4 fresh chilli
Left over fresh coriander
pinch of garam masala
1 Green Bell pepper (capsicum)

Method

In a stock pan added the meat and onion / pepper seasoned with salt.... on this occasion add the meat and onion to the cold pan and start it off on medium heat ,as the meat renders down it produces fat especially mince so pointless adding oil or seasoning with spice at this stage

Add the chopped garlic and chilli

gently let it render away until onions soft and the pepper

My meat wasn't, but a cheap mince will produce a lot of fat so pour some of it away ( don't discard save and re add if the dish becomes too dry)

Add the seasoning ( fajita mix) give a good stir it is therapeutic !!

At this Stage you have a bit of a conundrum .......you could go the Bolognese route adding passata herbs de provence or oregano mushrooms conchiglie pasta for an Italian style or a more Indian/ mex style was the route I took.

I didn't because of what I had left over, I added the Kasuri Methi , and tomatoes chopped ,,I started with 3 chopped add two more towards the end it gives a bit more texture. ....

You don't have too but I cover the pan at this stage, the toms break down to give a bit of a sauce but optional.

Added a healthy pinch of garam masala and fresh coriander reserving a bit for garnish.

A bit of a ready steady cook dish really , but that GOOD I will be doing it again !! It is not too hot or over spicy so great for those that prefer gentle favours of course to quote my pal Marco ( I wish ) recipes are a guideline so you could add more chilli if you like a real kick !!! .....or knock it back by reducing chilli...

Add a squeeze of fresh lime ?

If I sound a tad excited I really am because it really worked, enjoyed the meal and that's what counts, It lends itself ideally to a camper

Give it a go and let us know what you think

Channa keemamex.jpg

Like that!

After NYE we've bought some garam masala and I made a quick egg curry for lunch the other day.

Very nice :)

Like that!

After NYE we've bought some garam masala and I made a quick egg curry for lunch the other day.

Very nice :)

We've had that after seeing it at NYE too, certainly be having it again.

Looks smashin I'll give it a try tonight I'm loving lamb just now kinda went off beef. Good lamb just has so much more flavour let you know how I get on

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back