24 Volt Electrics

bigmeeky

I am looking at a wagon, the owner tells me she runs on 24 V electrics, I know that most discussions certre around the 12v, is there any significance in a 24 volt unit.

ta

Rob McM

what size vehicle is it 7.5 ton or over ?
most trucks run on 24 volt
most private motors run on 12 volt

I seem to remember in a previous life that there were some Mercs which had a twenty four volt starter motor and twelve volt lighting... is my memory failing me here?

I seem to remember in a previous life that there were some Mercs which had a twenty four volt starter motor and twelve volt lighting... is my memory failing me here?

Your memory aint playing tricks. I know that some of the 7.5 t Mercs did just that. Late 70's early 80's I think.

The only issue is whether or not the living area is 12V or 24V.

12V campervan items are easier to find than 24V - eg fridges, fluro lights, etc. Globes for 24V are common to most trucks so wont be a problem.

If the conversion already has a step down transformer from 24V to 12V, then its not a drama at all.

Some of the advantages of 24V is that the alternators tend to put out higher amps than 12V so you can have a few more things running when driving - 3000W sound system, disco ball, spa bath, vibrating seat.......:)

BTW there are now 72V cars coming on line with all electric accessories - electric power steering, electric AC pumps.

i beg to differ
but in france for instance 24 volt truck accessorys //fridges.//kettles //electric blankets //ect/ect all manner of 24 volt accessories are available at most truck stops at a reasonable price
i dont know how difficult it would be to convert the living area to 24 volt but the quality and reliablity of the said items would be preferd by me

Autoigniters for gas cooktops may be very difficult to find in 24V. Same with the electronics for some hot water systems. Often a 24V item will be more expensive than a 12V one. Pumps, sound systems, DC televisions and satellite systems, LPG wired in alarms, Fluoro and LED light fittings, Exhaust fans, intruder alarm systems. The list is quite long so going 12V will be more convenient for most.

I have a 24V system on the bus so opted to go 24V for the house system as well, but I did have to put a 24VDC to 12VDC converter in to power stuff that just wasn't readily available in 24V

Cheers Folks

I will find out today whether its 12 or 24 today when I pick it up. I think the present owner may have got it wrong, there are two leisure batteries side by side (presumably 12v). Cant judge until I see it but I am thinking that 12 and 12 in this instance does not make 24!

Thanks for all the help so far, what a site!

Rob McM

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back