1972 CI Commer wanderer

Smaug

Our first camper (after tents & a caravan) Must have got this in the mid- late 70's. Not sure I could cope with 2 adults, 2 kids & a dog in such a small space nowadays.

920.jpg921.jpg922.jpg

I had a similar model in the early 90's, lost count of the number of times I banged my head on the bloody roof when I climbed into the back with it down.

We had a Commer back around that time too.
Lovely motor, fond memories. :)

20v10nb.jpg

Commer campervan brings back a lot of memories for me....My first trip over the Forth Road Bridge just after it opened...can't remember what year it was

Oh Yes!!!

The Commer was my introduction to motorhoming in my late teens and this thread prompted me to re-read the blog I did a while ago about my early experiences in the Commer and then the VW campers.

Its full of stuff about drinking, chasing girls, Monty Python and a wager in Ireland amongst other stuff.

https://sites.google.com/site/hanktestsite2/blog/earlyyears

My dad bult a couple of campers on commer base vehicles

Spent many nights away in them , the 1st was a pop top with louvre windows (boy did they rattle while travelling) , the second was a high top. Remember going to ireland in one and also breaking down on the isle of skye.

Had to let the tyres down on the high top to get it on the Isle of Man ferry.

Must see if he's got any photos

Dad's now 80 but still has a camper (a devon built toyota hiace) which he goes to music festivals and tows his canoe down to the wye valley for weekends paddling

Rich

My dad bult a couple of campers on commer base vehicles

Spent many nights away in them , the 1st was a pop top with louvre windows (boy did they rattle while travelling) , the second was a high top. Remember going to ireland in one and also breaking down on the isle of skye.

Had to let the tyres down on the high top to get it on the Isle of Man ferry.

Must see if he's got any photos

Dad's now 80 but still has a camper (a devon built toyota hiace) which he goes to music festivals and tows his canoe down to the wye valley for weekends paddling

Rich
Toyota Hiace great choice!:cool:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back