Yemen

HurricaneSmith

An amazing country full of mud brick skyscrapers, many built on top of defensive outcrops such as your excellent photo shows. I can remember running down the little track from Kawkaban to Shibam at the foot of the cliffs. In the Shibam souk there were ancient muskets, probably dating from the turn of the century. .
An account upgrade is required to view more of this post.

HurricaneSmith

It was in the days of wet film, but here's a couple of snaps I took in 1982. Bayt Baws was a hilltop village defended by a blockwork gateway at the foot of the cliff:- That really is a defended home on the summit of the rock:- Throughout history, poor Arabia Felix seems to be continually at war. Hence the need for defence. .

jacquigem

It was in the days of wet film, but here's a couple of snaps I took in 1982. Bayt Baws was a hilltop village defended by a blockwork gateway at the foot of the cliff:- That really is a defended home on the summit of the rock:- Throughout history, poor Arabia Felix seems to be continually at war. Hence the need for defence. . Looks a little difficult wilding there !