XZENT reversing camera

alcam

Have an integrated GPS/RADIO/REVERSING CAMERA system . Reversing camera stopped working . Highly recommended auto electrician thinks the camera is faulty . Aforementioned person no longer communicating .
Open to any solution but would prefer new camera [brake light ?] compatible with existing system .
Any recommendations for technicians who know what they are doing ? I will travel anywhere , even Spain !
" " " completely new system [reversing camera and monitor only] wired or wireless
" "
Thanks for any help

Ebay £35 will get a good size screen, wire it through a switch rather than the reverse lights, handy to keep a eye out when parked or in a long line of traffic.
cam 1.jpg
cam 2.jpg

New systems are more sophisticated (reliable) and can fit the viwer on/over yoyr normal Rearvoew mirror
The cameras aare also "dual" in thatbthey can view mainly downward for reveversing and mainly backwards as well
I believe that both views can be displayed side by side on the viewer
Depends waht you need/want.
My current simple rreversing only b/w system could do with being replaced !
I have a spsre smal tablet which is now redundant
There are w-fi cameras which would send to it and thus I just need the camare/app
I could use this as a rerview system alongside my existinf reversing camera
The reversing camera is powerd off the reversing light (reasonable enough)
I aim to suppy the power to any additional camera off the tail lights as I drive with the lights on !

I look forward to responses .to this post as well as the OP

Last edited:
New systems are more sophisticated (reliable) and can fit the viwer on/over yoyr normal Rearvoew mirror
The cameras aare also "dual" in thatbthey can view mainly downward for reveversing and mainly backwards as well
I believe that both views can be displayed side by side on the viewer
Depends waht you need/want.
My current simple rreversing only b/w system could do with being replaced !
There are w-fi cameras which would send to it and thus I just need the camare/app
I aim to suppy the power to any additional camera off the tail lights as I drive with the lights on !

I look forward to responses .to this post as well as the OP
As I said I'd prefer to replace my existing (probably faulty) camera with a camera compatible with my existing system . A brake light camera seems easiest . Just not sure what is compatible with my XZENT system .
Hadn't thought of a WiFi camera

Just not sure what is compatible with my XZENT system .
How many wires and which type of plug does your XZENT camera have?
http://www.xzent.com/en/products/x-427-2-din-car-radio-navigation/ says it has RCA video inputs so a replacement camera should be easy to find

XZEN said:
Reversing camera connections
The XZENT X-427 features two RCA video inputs (Cam1/Cam2) for the control of two camera systems with switched power and auto switching logic.

There are adaptor cables available to fit different cameras to an existing system
Open to any solution but would prefer new camera [brake light ?] compatible with existing system .
It will be wired to the reversing light, not the brake light

First you need to find the cause of your existing camera not operating before looking at other system options, it could just be a bad connection?

My current simple reversing only b/w system could do with being replaced !

I look forward to responses to this post as well as the OP

Another option is to use two wired cameras switchable between screens (multimedia unit & sat nav). The existing audio wire can be used to power the second camera. This is what I did when I replaced my reversing camera with two at under £25/pair and added power and crossover switches to the dash so each camera can be switched between each screen and both seen at same time.

How many wires and which type of plug does your XZENT camera have?
http://www.xzent.com/en/products/x-427-2-din-car-radio-navigation/ says it has RCA video inputs so a replacement camera should be easy to find

There are adaptor cables available to fit different cameras to an existing system

It will be wired to the reversing light, not the brake light
Thanks for the above . I thought there was a difference in cameras [PAL etc] but connections are , obviously , crucial
I was actually referring to a brake light camera so I didn't have to drill holes etc
Access to the camera connection is a swine !

First you need to find the cause of your existing camera not operating before looking at other system options, it could just be a bad connection?
Yes I think [thought] it was . Initially faulty intermittently then nothing . On advice I went to a recommended auto electrician . Turns out he knows as much as me ! which is , approximately , fekboogerall
Possibly have to roll sleeves up and investigate more myself
Thanks

I have a set up which consists of two cameras connected to one monitor which is switchable between the two, one for reversing the other for rear view. Minor snag is that, try as I might, I could not get compatible cameras and monitor so the quality of the pictures is a little compromised. The picture will not stay quite still and is not completely crisp. I would renew the lot if I could find the correct components. The whole set up is powered from the ignition system and I manually switch to reverse when needed. There is a third setting on the monitor which if I could find out quite how to use it (no third video socket) I would put a small camera on a stalk out front to give close up of front parking distance to bumper.

Finally have a working camera . New camera [brakelight with camera] and rewired .
Seemed quicker and easier to renew both . Access to existing camera was problematic . Couldn't trace cable , there was obviously a joint somewhere [different colour cable at each end] .
Because of physical problems [I'm a lazy barsturd] I finally got someone to do the job .
Awaiting bill !

It dont go to the brake light, its the reverse switch on g box or just a switch on the dash.

IF its on a ducato base (and derivatives) like our 2003 ducato...

It turned out to be the reversing light switch on the gearbox...
Started as, intermittent fault before ceasing to operate all together.

Switch is cheap BUT it's a fiddle to swap... Air box assembly and hoses removed and switch removed replaced by touch and triple jointed fingers as its hidden under the scuttle area.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back