Xplorer leisure battery had it?

Hi Okta, My zig is quite possibly one of the same as its definitely got to be nearly 30 years old! It may have contributed to the death of my xplorer battery but I suspect replacing it all will be costly and way beyond my understanding - with a van this age, I've sort of learnt not to touch anything unless I absolutely have to!

The xplorer batteries are fairly cheap lead-acids at £65 though i see that Alpha also do this other lead-acid with calcium plate one which would fit and is not that much more expensive at £82 : https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/l...nturer-dual-terminal-leisure-battery-sfl85dt/ It has an extra year warranty so I may go for that one this time

Correct i changed mine for a numax 10ah smart charger which is fixed in now.
numax 10a.png

Well done everyone, a member came with a problem ,kept it simple and all seems resolved.

£62 battery 3 and a half years service seems to have been good value compared what you can pay for batteries , and a great example for Melissa ( or unfortunate) that first sign of cold weather a battery not up to scratch will fall over ,,,I learnt that way too !

The op may be wondering because frankly I am, investing in more expensive batts seems a little folly, where would the value be in investing £300 -400 in more complex battery technology out of interest

OK so the slightly more expensive leisure battery has been ordered! Fingers crossed it is just the battery and I don't have any issues with the split relay system.... I will endeavour to think positively!

Thanks to everyone yet again! :)

Well done everyone, a member came with a problem ,kept it simple and all seems resolved.

£62 battery 3 and a half years service seems to have been good value compared what you can pay for batteries , and a great example for Melissa ( or unfortunate) that first sign of cold weather a battery not up to scratch will fall over ,,,I learnt that way too !

The op may be wondering because frankly I am, investing in more expensive batts seems a little folly, where would the value be in investing £300 -400 in more complex battery technology out of interest
I wondered the same thing actually - some of the gel batteries are hundreds of pounds but yet with a 3 year warranty like the lead-acid ones so i always wonder if they are worth the extra

I wondered the same thing actually - some of the gel batteries are hundreds of pounds but yet with a 3 year warranty like the lead-acid ones so i always wonder if they are worth the extra
No there not,bosch/varta silver power frame for me next time round.

No need to wonder. They are not worth extra. They are of use if you are likely to turn them upside down (caravanners who take them out to charge, for example). But they have no real advantage - except for the sellers, who can transport them with less care, and who get more money for them.

OK so the slightly more expensive leisure battery has been ordered! Fingers crossed it is just the battery and I don't have any issues with the split relay system.... I will endeavour to think positively!

Thanks to everyone yet again! :)

I suggest you charge the new battery from the mains before installation.

It should arrive pretty much fully charged, but it's still worth doing.

What type of charger do you have? Is it a modern multi-stage intelligent charger?

I had a Zig unit some years back and it was no more than a power supply with a fixed output voltage of about 13.6V. More of a battery destroyer than a battery charger. Hopefully their products have moved on a bit. If lead acid batteries are never properly charged sulphates build up on the plates.

It appears Melissa doesn't use hook up so the Zig charger isn't actually in use.

It's worth noting, Melissa, that if you do use hook up at any point, the Zig charger is usually a separate unit with an on/off rocker switch. Make sure this is in the on position just in case you do use hook up.

Hi all,
Yes, I actually don't know if my Zig is configured to charge up either battery when i am on Hookup (not very often at all) . My zig simply has a red light, a green light and three switches - 240V on off / battery select / 12V on off. Next time I'm on EHU, I am going to try and measure the voltage across the batteries to see if I can detect any evidence of charging going on!

My charger is just a standard Halfords one 'Fully automatic battery charger'

Noted about charging the new battery up. - Many thanks,
Melissa

Hi all,
Yes, I actually don't know if my Zig is configured to charge up either battery when i am on Hookup (not very often at all) . My zig simply has a red light, a green light and three switches - 240V on off / battery select / 12V on off. Next time I'm on EHU, I am going to try and measure the voltage across the batteries to see if I can detect any evidence of charging going on!

Melissa

Melissa your a smart cookie !
I use a Halfords Fully automatic battery charger ! :)

Simple job to swap out old charger for a smart unit,also a simple switch and relay will connect les and starter battery together for charging,thats the way mine is and very handy.

Hi all,

Melissa

You're describing the Zig control panel, Melissa.

The point I was making is that there is a separate charger unit with an on/off switch.

Please make sure it's switched on.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back