Window not working

carol

Hi, I’ve had to change the fuse for my windows 3 times in 5 years. Yesterday it went again, changed the fuse, windows worked. Next time I tested them only one window working so obviously not the fuse. When I press the switch for the non-working window (driver’s side) I’m sure I van hear a click on the other side. I’m fairly sure it’s not the switch mechanism as I’ve also changed that W couple of years ago. Someone has suggested the motor ... any other suggestions or how to identify the cause?

I suppose I (someone) need to get the door panel off. It happened after the van had been washed but presumably that’s just a coincidence. Blooming nuisance!

Hi carol, it could be broken wires near hinges of door, they flex and get hard with age
This might be blowing the fuses and also making it not work now
You will possibly have five to ten wires in the rubber gaitor depending on age and spec of vehicle
The wires can be accessed by pulling back the rubber between the door and the post it’s quite a simple fix if this is the problem, andy

Carol try a bit of WD40 in the switches , it could just be a dodgy contact due to the damp weather :unsure:

Yep door trim needs to come off .could be motor fault .tooth ware on ratchet, wiring fault .switch fault .
Hi carol, it could be broken wires near hinges of door, they flex and get hard with age
This might be blowing the fuses and also making it not work now
You will possibly have five to ten wires in the rubber gaitor depending on age and spec of vehicle
The wires can be accessed by pulling back the rubber between the door and the post it’s quite a simple fix if this is the problem, andy
Yes was a common problem early Peugeot .they even supplied a repair harness .problem was all the wire's were the same colour .

Thanks everyone. My friend tested the switch wiring and all seemed well. He looked at the wiring in the rubber sleeve going into the door and thought that was ok. I can’t take the panel off so I’ll have to pass it on to the garage, no doubt another hefty bill. Think I’ll take up flying kites instead.

Better not get a dog then Carol. Molly - free on Gumtree - vet bill for spaying etc £500+.

It's seldom the motor. The whole lifting mechanism rusts up. I got one for my Peugeot cheap from Ebay as I had the same symptoms - turned out all rusted up. Must be a hard life inside them door cards lol

That's technology/advancement for you.
My van has a little handle to turn and the piece of glass slides down.

What’s the mechanism called? Maybe I could get one from a scrapyard?

try googling how to remove your van's door card . it's usually not bad, a case of unscrewing handles then levering off the poppers . once inside remove any plastic sheets and you might be able to see the problem and maybe oil it.

If it is rusted up then a new external window seal may be a good idea to reduce the quantity of water getting inside the door.
Put plenty of grease on the mechanism.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back