WINDOW FUSE BLOWING

carol

I know it’s probably like looking for a needle in a virtual haystack but can anyone give me any pointers as to how I can find out why the windows fuse keeps blowing? I’ve changed it 3 times in about 5 years so didn’t realise it’s a recurring problem. Since I’ve had a new window motor fitted, thinking that was the source of the problem the fuse now blows after one use, ie when I try the windows to see if the fuse change has worked! I’m in Spain at the moment so no point taking it to a garage if it’s a really difficult job - though you don’t realise how much you use your windows until you don’t have them!

Hi, yes I think the wiring in the door was looked at by Tom, if not the garage. Yes, it’s the correct amp fuse and the windows have had silicone spray.
Thanks all for your comments.
Is the wiring for the windows distinct from other wiring, I’m afraid I have no concept of it.

Might also be worth searching for groups or fora specifically for your type of vehicle and post there as it may be common problema

Fuses will only blow for one of two reasons.

There's a short circuit, or too much current is being drawn.

Given that you have lubricated the window channels and fitted a new motor, it must be a wiring fault in my opinion.

Is it just one window that blows the fuse or both?

One suggestion on the internet, apart from cabling issues in the door hinge area, is a faulty switch.

That's where I would be inclined to look next.

I also think there is a wiring/short circuit problem, does the fuse blow immediately or does the window go up or down slowly and then blow, if it is immediately I would think a short circuit, it is happening more now than before so disturbing it while changing the motor suggests it is in the door to me, as Andy said the wiring in the door hinge is a likely suspect area but a poor connection can also overload a fuse so it would be better to have it looked at, a bigger fuse is not the answer if there is a fault

Another vote for wiring break .it was a very common problem on Peugeot cars . you would be advised to contact a main dealer as the they will have repaired the problem many times . sometimes the wire breaks inside cable insulation and Can't be seen .

A poor earth will do same as current tries to pass in other wires which wil then overload and blow a fuse,auto wiring is a time consuming job,i took a hole day last week sorting out a old skoda 136 rapide after a chap had it in a garage for 6 weeks where the managed to bu--er up the complete car,next week the gearbox as they stuffed it to fitting oil seals,i had the engine and box out in 20 mins.

i still think it's a bit sticky , try a 5amp bigger fuse , keep an eye on the wiring when you do

Sticky windows should not blow a fuse, just stalls the motor. Many power windows don't even have end of travel limit switches.

Pretty sure that Carol will not try a bigger fuse

Hopefully not back in the Uk until end of March, Andy, unless little things like no windows get on my nerves too much! The annoying thing is, I took the van for a service and told them about the window problem - £900 pounds poorer and a new window motor I expected the van to be ship-shape! I only tried the windows once when I picked the van up - the next time they weren’t working so I wonder how the garage tested the repair!

Hopefully not back in the Uk until end of March, Andy, unless little things like no windows get on my nerves too much! The annoying thing is, I took the van for a service and told them about the window problem - £900 pounds poorer and a new window motor I expected the van to be ship-shape! I only tried the windows once when I picked the van up - the next time they weren’t working so I wonder how the garage tested the repair!

Wow have you gone out early two years ago we met you in a snowy bradford Morrison’s car park

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back