Wilding internet

Borders2

I am pretty clueless when it comes to mobile phones apart from knowing I have a Nokia 5.

So dear brains, the question is this: Can someone please explain how an internet connection is achieved for a firestick whilst wilding?

Thanks.

B2

Hotspot and
Screenshot_20200629-180317_My EE.jpg

MIFI? AKA another ball of wax it seems. Is noting just simple?

B2
The simple solution is to buy a mifi. But a Nokia 5 is an Android smartphone, so you should be easily able to switch on a "hotspot" using that.
Depends on whether you'd prefer to spend money or take five minutes to learn how to enable a hotspot.

I am pretty clueless when it comes to mobile phones apart from knowing I have a Nokia 5.

So dear brains, the question is this: Can someone please explain how an internet connection is achieved for a firestick whilst wilding?

Thanks.

B2
It might possibly vary by model of Firestick, but the ones I have have a handy option where you can change the streaming quality to suit your internet connection - so if you have a poorer signal or a limited amount of data available, drop the quality in the settings. Even at the lowest quality the picture quality is still perfectly acceptable.

To use with a phone, simply enable the hotspot on the phone - see the guide here - https://www.helpforsmartphone.com/public/en/nokia/5/android-7-1/guides/25/Use-phone-as-modem-Nokia-5

Then on the Firestick, go into the settings and search for the new WiFi service i.e. the Nokia and enter the info as required.

I'm clueless but i have BT phone + internet and you can tap into FON network uk and abroad - if available and it is free if you have BT dont know if it's restricted on allowance though

I'm clueless but i have BT phone + internet and you can tap into FON network uk and abroad - if available and it is free if you have BT dont know if it's restricted on allowance though

Bt FON might let you send an email, but it’s not fast enough for watching tv.
you need three things, a mifi, a mobile package with either lots of data or better unlimited data, (Tv uses about 2gb an hour) and a pay as you go SIM card if you also want to use your phone. Your phones SIM card will be fitted into your mifi. 3 do unlimited data for £11 a month for six months then £22 a month for 18 months.

I do pre paid internet with legs in my tablet, don't do contracts it is just another debt

you need three things, a mifi, a mobile package with either lots of data or better unlimited data, (Tv uses about 2gb an hour) and a pay as you go SIM card if you also want to use your phone. Your phones SIM card will be fitted into your mifi. 3 do unlimited data for £11 a month for six months then £22 a month for 18 months.

Going to have to disagree with that. I use it frequently and used it all summer last year in a field on the Yorkshire coast with my antenna pointed at a farm house a couple of hundred metres away. I think we were getting about 9mbps down and 3 or 4 up. The nearer to the source the faster it is but as long as the signal is good you can stream on it no problem at all. I use an iBoost wifi booster but when parked outside the farmhouse we dont bother with that. I often use BT Fon in towns etc on my phone which just finds them automatically. That can be a pain if the distance is too far though so I often turn it off and use my data allowance.

For regular streaming wifi is best unless you have an unlimited data plan.

One thing I would suggest to the OP if he does use his phone as a hot spot would be to check that his data cap is turned on. This means that should you reach the limit of your allowance it will stop working. Ive known people bust their Vodafone data allowance without the cap on and the charges for extra data automatically applied. £200 for one client in one weekend.

Fair point Barry, but with the price of data plummeting I reckon soon we will all be using unlimited data.
Not that long ago we paid for calls and texts, now they are almost entirely unlimited.
But I have never found BT FON that good up here in Scotland, even in Glasgow.

We both have a sim only deal with "3" which gives us unlimited data,minutes and texts whilst in the UK and 20 gigabytes each per month when abroad. This works well and is very cheap. If you run out of data when abroad, you can buy unlimited daily for £5 per day.

We both have a sim only deal with "3" which gives us unlimited data,minutes and texts whilst in the UK and 20 gigabytes each per month when abroad. This works well and is very cheap. If you run out of data when abroad, you can buy unlimited daily for £5 per day.

For info: When in Portugal we buy a Nos data sim, these cost €1 per day for unlimited data. The speed may be capped but it still allows streaming of British TV. An unlocked device is required.

Last edited:
For watching TV I've found you only need 2mbs minimum providing you don't use HD.

Tethering any device to a "hotspot" via your 4g android phone is very easy - if I can do it then any one can !!

it is free if you have BT dont know if it's restricted on allowance though
It isn't restricted on allowance
I have been using FON both here and in Europe for years and with a good signal it is fast enough to watch TV, I have unlimited data now with '3' so I don't need it here but because of data restrictions it is still useful for Europe

I should mention that we don't go abroad nor south of the border and tend to wild over on the west and north. As remote as we can get really. :)

B

It isn't restricted on allowance
I have been using FON both here and in Europe for years and with a good signal it is fast enough to watch TV, I have unlimited data now with '3' so I don't need it here but because of data restrictions it is still useful for Europe

Tezza Barry already pointed this out. Post 11 and I replied,

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back