wild water filling .

We normally have enough for our trips , and replenish, drain and empty every 3/4days at a campsite. But should the need arise that we need water we would look for the nearest WS on the POI map.

Used water from the Nidd once, obtained by bucket and was just used to get excess mud off the MH.

For me in order of preference or convenience even if it costs a few pound -
1, Mains Tap outlet with permission via Friends, Temporary Employers, Campsite, Marina, Garage, Garden centre Or other Business.
2, Regularly use Rain, Stream, (Have Even used Snow Or Ice In the past, but not often & only if Tank is Extremely Low). These methods of obtaining water is then Filterd on board, Then Fed into the tank.
3, Occasionally a Church yard, But it gets a bit Warm for me when I do that, Although having a chat with some mates passes the time while I doused the flames.
As a Fulltime Livaboard I’ve never had a critical water shortage in some 10 years aboard Vehicles using the above.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 40l tank will last us about 4 days, being careful - then its usually filled via collapsible containers from a fast running burn, if there is no mains tap on our route.
A gauze filter will strain out any grit and bits, Never had any problems with any bugs or the like (In Scotland anyway).

lots of fonts , taps , springs etc in just about most countries folk visit . never had a problem.
some lovely clean natural springs not far from here in cornwall . some locals use them , but so many are driving past so fast and hardly open their eyes to see the natural beauty thats around them .

I was running really low once following Hymer advice to not drive with water. I ended up almost devoid of water and had to get some trickled into the tank via a windscreen washer point at a garage. It cost 50p per so many seconds, and it cost quite a lot to get some in as the flow was a literally a trickle rate. Ever since then We always carry enough to cover the immediate needs.

Don't go near wretched campsites & never had a problem with shortage of water.
As previously mentioned, Garden Centres, Toilets, Garages, Cemeteries, Marinas or anywhere with a tap. The water from these is used for washing or cooking.
For drinking, 5ltr containers from Tesco. If this is unavailable I have an American charcoal filter pump from my backpacking days which will turn a muddy puddle into crystal-clear drinking water.

Besides what others have said I use any water tap with a threaded end.. (drinking water)
I'm 67 and still alive.
Always whenever possible run with full tank of water and an extra 5 gallon container.
I have loads of payload .....

I use campsites, next 2 weeks at £7.80 per night including use of indoor pool, electricity and showers.......its snowing.

Fantastic Price for a site pitch with Not only all the normal site provisions you’d expect but Electric & Pool as well 👍.
As a Fulltime Livaboard & between little jobs that I have all over the country i normally Wild Camp & Make do for the night, However I DO stay at a site for one night every 3 weeks (Ish) to make full use of all that it has to offer. Prices vary a fair bit, I think the cheapest I’ve paid is around the £12 mark, Then anything up to around the £30 for a night on a good site in silly season.
I travel most the time Fully Stocked, & Full with water.

In 30 odd countries over 13 years, we have filled up from whatever is the best supply available then and there. Mostly town water supplies but lots of roadside springs eg Turkey and very occasionally wild running rivers in remote locations.
We drink the water too, only rarely treating it with plain bleach or silver compound and neither of us have ever had a health problem attributable to the water

I like others have always been lucky to find water. However when I have been stuck I happily used stream water for the toilet or to wash. If absolutely stuck I buy a 3 ltr ( or is it 5) of drinking water in the supermarket for a couple of pounds. I do carry the water purifying tablets but have not used them yet.

Run of from slurry,pestacides,weedkiller, fertiliser,all good for you im sure,some of the rivers here have yellow foam on them to boot,floating fish are a givaway.
Then of course there is the waste products from diesel laundering. :unsure:

Run of from slurry,pestacides,weedkiller, fertiliser,all good for you im sure,some of the rivers here have yellow foam on them to boot,floating fish are a givaway.
My filter system is pretty good at taking the horrible stuff out Dead fish & all !.

My filter system is pretty good at taking the horrible stuff out Dead fish & all !.
Cods wallop. :LOL:

Water from a river....... take it from above the animal line, it's pure..
Up a bloody mountain to the silly ones:D

No risk at all then as you can simply wipe the yellow foam away fill up then pick the floaters out and if you have been parked for a while you can then use some of it to kill the weeds around the wheels Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

Clostridium perfringens and their spores are hard to filter out and boiling won’t kill the spores. Magnesium and lead can come from the minerals in the supply. People need to be careful with regards to dodgy water.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back