Wild life again

mistericeman

Very tasty too!

We caught loads on a canoe trip a couple of years ago.
They are....
Simple to apply for licence required for trapping.... BUT it's not legal to return them to the water if caught...

Surprised folks round here haven't caught on.... Could do with them deciding Canada geese are tasty too....

Mind Ive heard they taste fowl

jagmanx

Problem with squirrels is that they go for nuts !....not saying what colour mine are.

Robmac

They are....
Simple to apply for licence required for trapping.... BUT it's not legal to return them to the water if caught...
Yeah we caught about 20 after dropping the trap for about 1 hour.

Because you can't return them it simply wasn't worth dropping the net in a second time, we had more than enough to eat. Lovely with a bit of garlic butter.

Sky

I imagine you'd need to cook them like all game meat to make them palatable.
I like goose, it's normally lovely meat, but I've never heard of anyone that's successfully made one of these edible. Maybe one of those underground ovens that take about twelve hours would do it?

Obanboy666

I like goose, it's normally lovely meat, but I've never heard of anyone that's successfully made one of these edible. Maybe one of those underground ovens that take about twelve hours would do it?
I've shot hundreds over the years and usually give them away. I keep Greylag for yours truly, much better than Canada for eating. still have 4 in garage freezer along with loads of mallard, pheasants and partridge.

Reactions: Sky

oppy

I'm lucky, behind our local tip we have the confluence of 2 streams coming from the moors and with them they bring terrific brown trout, but where they meet there is a large eddy which is crammed with river crabs. No need for traps just scoop up with a landing net,trouble is though, you end up with more detritus than you started with once you start eating them

barge1914

I'm lucky, behind our local tip we have the confluence of 2 streams coming from the moors and with them they bring terrific brown trout, but where they meet there is a large eddy which is crammed with river crabs. No need for traps just scoop up with a landing net,trouble is though, you end up with more detritus than you started with once you start eating them
Good job you don't live downstream of Glossop, or you'd be catching more than crabs.

Harrytherid

Red squirrel lovely grey terrible. One got in my loft and ate through a 6by2 rafter before I caught it, Dreadful things. If you catch one it is ILLEGAL to let it go. You are obliged to kill or have it killed (try the forestry commission). My wife swoons over the little white tummies but she is not the one who repaired that rafter, difficult job in cramped conditions and wound up itching all over from the insulation. I made a one way trap out of wood too narrow for the heads to turn to chew out, caught two line astern then into a large bag and let some welding CO2 into it which humanely disposes of them. I am told it is a pleasant death if there is such a thing and I suppose if you don't know you are being killed...Then block the holes with cement with some metal in it to prevent digging and check for loft damage or next storm could be it for your roof not to mention the electrical fire possibility with chewed wires. They are terrible things!

izwozral

Sky said:
All grey squirrels should be culled - they're a curse on the UK countryside.
Most importantly so we can protect these little chaps. This one lives in my garden with his family and friends and will take nuts out of my hand:

Makes a change from what Ral does with his!

That is a damn lie, I have never put my nuts in your hands!

Only because you never said please.
1590322127812.png