Wild life again

oppy

We too have enjoyed a tree rat, it's actually better than rabbit, not so much meat, but a far nicer taste and our local butcher supplies them too (he's a licenced game dealer) But tonight Sue and I have sat out in the garden, with a bottle!, and heard several owls, whilst not being clever enough to discern which was which it was lovely and then a couple of hedgehogs wandered through, one, I think, wanted nookie, t' other didn't, they were rather noisy though. One of the bonus's of our current situation seems to me that stuff is getting back to the way that it used to be. Yesterday 2 planes flew over on their way back to Manchester airport, then nowt. Time was when we would hear someone revving up or cars zipping past, but now nowt and after todays bike ride I realise that most of us folk are experiencing stuff from our early youth or even childhood, I suppose that it will not last forever, but for now---aint it great I know that there are many sad bits to our current situation, and...
An account upgrade is required to view more of this post.

Scotia

We have an Owl back in the owl box the first time in 5 yrs as jack daws took over the box. Last night wile sitting on the balcony we saw two bullying the Owl by flying into it. Hopefully they have not scared it off, we have a guy call each year to check if any owls have nested, there were five chicks the last time they nested, he then rings the chicks and records their number.

mariesnowgoose

We have an Owl back in the owl box the first time in 5 yrs as jack daws took over the box. Last night wile sitting on the balcony we saw two bullying the Owl by flying into it. Hopefully they have not scared it off, we have a guy call each year to check if any owls have nested, there were five chicks the last time they nested, he then rings the chicks and records their number. Jackdaws and other members of the corvid clan used to be culled by gamekeepers. Magpies especially are very destructive of other birds, stealing chicks & eggs.

trevskoda

We have an Owl back in the owl box the first time in 5 yrs as jack daws took over the box. Last night wile sitting on the balcony we saw two bullying the Owl by flying into it. Hopefully they have not scared it off, we have a guy call each year to check if any owls have nested, there were five chicks the last time they nested, he then rings the chicks and records their number. Good heavens owls with smart phones,what next. 😂 😂 😂

Scotia

Reminds me of a story not long after I built the house, we are surrounded by woodland and had an owl call most nights. late one night my eldest Ruaidhri who had just started primary school was calling so I went through to see what was up? he replied there are monsters out there. I tried to reassure him there was no such thing and go back to sleep, he then piped up something is out there so I listened then the owl hooted, he shouted there it is. I told him that's our Owl he replied well why is it calling my name? Rurie Rurie, Rurie! :LOL:

Toffeecat

My cat has decided theres just to much wildlife around and has upped his game killing wise. Luckily only one bird in the last week but the gardens becoming a graveyard for any mouse/vole that dares to enter his territory. Hes also started to track down the big rat that's nicking the bird seed. Your on borrowed time Mr Rat.

trevskoda

I loathe grey squirrels, more than rats, cockroaches or wasps. The only good thing about them, they make good target practice and not bad eating. Make a good living selling them to the ,not allowed to say ,no 22 with curry or sweet and sour.

Robmac

Now we've got the bloody grey squirrels sorted... I'm off after the invasive Signal crayfish ;-) Very tasty too! We caught loads on a canoe trip a couple of years ago.