Wild camping in Europe

Pudsey Bear

Just wondering what info we have on places around Europe, looked on the app but it seems to be only UK unless I missed a setting somewhere.

I'm not sure if I'm up to it but we did think of a trip to Greece, but having places to stay en route would take away at least one worry, funds are low hence aires not being considered at this point.

There are lots of POIs in France, Spain and Portugal.

Make sure you have enabled the selection criteria by pressing the funnel symbol at the top left of the app screen.

Yes that enabled from last time, the distance is okay but I only see them for the UK.

Not helping with my route though.

Do we have anything in these areas, or another place to look?

Fourka.JPG

Just wondering what info we have on places around Europe, looked on the app but it seems to be only UK unless I missed a setting somewhere.

I'm not sure if I'm up to it but we did think of a trip to Greece, but having places to stay en route would take away at least one worry, funds are low hence aires not being considered at this point.
Many , if not most , aires are free ?
As well as POIs on here there are many other sources . Not sure if it is allowed to print these on here ?
WEBSITE BLOCKED BY ADMIN , WEBSITE BLOCKED BY ADMIN , camperstop , searchforsites and [often best] your eyes

Used quiet a few Wildcamping spots in Romania, officially not allowed, in practice totally ignored.

You could always go down through France and then through Italy and get either a ferry from Venice to Greece or one further south in Italy. There are many more free aires in France and Italy than there will be in the other countries on your route and wilding is probably easier also. When are you thinking of going Kev?

You could always go down through France and then through Italy and get either a ferry from Venice to Greece or one further south in Italy. There are many more free aires in France and Italy than there will be in the other countries on your route and wilding is probably easier also. When are you thinking of going Kev?
Well first I have to summon up sufficient bottle to actually do it Barry, I've been over to France and Spain but only on two wheels, but that was back in the 90s, my confidence since the accident has taken a bit of a knock, and a van is a bit wider than a bike.

As to when, well I need to get the ticker sorted out first, that should be soon if it's just a stent then not so long, if it's bypass surgery at least 6 months in recovery then I don't know.

I do like the route you suggest, not too sure what the Slavic? countries are like anyway, but I like the idea of a Mediterranean diet.

I just had a quick play with Google maps and sort of figured out a route, I tried to get a ferry that didn't land in Albania, I put in Ladochori but either there isn't one or it wasn't playing, anyway it only takes ten destinations so had to do two routes.

Still trying to convince myself that I'm up to.

greece%20leg%20one.JPG

greece%20leg%20two.JPG

I have alway found Camper_Contact very good for many countries. ( 2014 Germaany Austria Hungary Romainia 2015 France 2016 Scandinavia 2017 ROI 2018 Italy 2019 Switzerland Germany Netherlands
If we do go abroad I will renew my subscription to it and get the app with all the features
The free app works
Not much wild camoing in Hungary but some
Germany & Austria mainly Stellplatze (50% Free)

Last edited:
Its quite an ambitious trip Kev if you are a bit anxious. If I were you I would conquer France first, maybe a bit of southern Germany or northern Italy, see how you get on. France is dead easy in a motorhome and has pretty much everything from dramatic scenery, mountains, picturesque villages and towns and some stunning coastlines and of course is probably the best country in Europe for Aires, wilding etc and dont get me started on the food and drink.

When are you thinking of going as in what time of year and for how long?

We prefer to stay to the east of Paris and avoid tolls
Lots of nice aires

France to Italy
Col de Mont Cenis is an easy drive and avoids the Frejus tunnel costs
Worth paying the tolls in Italy as
A they are not too bad
B the other roads are very slow and potholed etc
But in the North you will see lots of "Wildlife" mainly hoping for a ride in a lorry cab ?"
1647090933096.png

Its quite an ambitious trip Kev if you are a bit anxious. If I were you I would conquer France first, maybe a bit of southern Germany or northern Italy, see how you get on. France is dead easy in a motorhome and has pretty much everything from dramatic scenery, mountains, picturesque villages and towns and some stunning coastlines and of course is probably the best country in Europe for Aires, wilding etc and dont get me started on the food and drink.

When are you thinking of going as in what time of year and for how long?
If we do go the route is an if I feel up to it one, it's not the miles, I can and do still drive all day sometimes, it's the foreignness of it now for me, so if I was to feel it's too much I can just turn round and head home.

I do like the grub over there, the first time I went it was with a school teacher he was on his new Ducati, forget the model, it had a solid painted screen on it, I was on my BMW K100 RS, a nut boiler (with Brian, see bear on my screen) I'd had enough of his ABC tour and his moods so I left for home in Biarritz by my own, first time in France, lost, no map, very little money as I'd agreed to paint his bike in return for him funding my trip, I just grabbed baguettes and cheese and stuffed them from my on tank cargo net under my lid all the way home which took 26 hours of solid riding but I loved it.

We'd probably go in the new year, part of the plan is to save a bit of the cost by not having to heat the house, the flip side is we'd need to heat the van at least some of the time, but this last trip we only had the heating on twice for a couple of hours, might install refillable cylinders on the van for a the trip save farting about with none calor

2016-01-16%2008.55.26.jpg

If in France between 01/11 and 31/03, bear in mind that mountain départements will probably require that you have snow chains or 3PMSF tyres.

If in France between 01/11 and 31/03, bear in mind that mountain départements will probably require that you have snow chains or 3PMSF tyres.
Thanks for that, we would deffo have to do the mountains.

We ambled through france then drove sensibly through Italy to Sicily
3 weeks in Siciliy then drove up the east coast of Italy through Austria and Germany
Took us just over 3 months !

Dont go in the winter Kev unless you want to go skiing! :D

Can you go for the full 90 days? If so I would go Spring to Summer. May, June, .July. Alps will be fantastic in those months, especially June and July. If you want a bit of heat head down to Provence. Elevation is key! Too hot, get up high. Too cold, get down to sea level. South of the Loire seems to be a bit of a cut off point where the climate changes in France I think.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back