Why is wind not utilised?

Tookey

Considering the heaviest usage of the leisure battery is when conditions are not optimal or non existent for PV charging why are modern motorhomes not designed with a pop up wind turbine, say a similar size to a large bathroom extract fan. Noise and resonance maybe? The alternator negates the need for the turbine so pop up to prevent drag but this design would be quite simple.

To get anyhing worth while the turbine would have to be about the side of the m home,noise would drive you mad and you would have to be parked in a good place with a clean flow of air,this would require the turbine to be on a very tall mast.

You do see a few wind generators, I see more of the cylindrical type than the ones like a prop. I think you need to be a low user and in a windy spot to get anywhere with it. Did see someone rig up a little water generator in a stream but it’s not really practical just something to do. May as well put a pushbike on a stand and attach to an alternator and get some exercise 😂😂

I think the problem is the lack of wind lack of height and low output .a member fitted one to his van we were at a meet with him over about 6 days in summer it hardly turned so was useless .I have seen hydraulically raised ones on American RVs that are about 40 foot from the ground that do catch the wind . .great on a boat but very limited on MH .

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back