Why don’t women drive their vans?

Because a woman in the passenger seat can relax, look at the scenery and have a little snooze, whereas a man in the passenger seat doesn’t seem to be able to do this.

Because a woman in the passenger seat can relax, look at the scenery and have a little snooze, whereas a man in the passenger seat doesn’t seem to be able to do this.
My man passenger within 10 mins of us setting off he is fast asleep mind you I do tend to drive a lot at night and he has just done a full days work, sometimes I can’t here the satnav for his snoring . 😂😂😂

Phill drives Percy 99% of the time. I often offer to drive but he loves driving & can put it within 10mm of where he wants it.
I have had my confidence knocked when I scraped a parked car in a Hereford car park so I no longer volunteer to drive it from our cottage to the main road, as it is all tiny lanes with passing places. I don't mind the big stock lorries & tractors, it the twats in cars that won't reverse & I do have problems putting Percy's rear end where I want it in reverse.

I am generally the geek in the passenger seat doing navigation, button pressing, sweetie feeding etc. Last time we were away I worked all the way home on a 4 hour journey.

IMG_20200830_115540.jpg

I'd strongly urge all the wives/partners to drive more often and really get used to the van because, heaven forbid, you never know when you might really need to.

I've always loved driving, so it was never an issue for me... Martin and I always took turns. When he got cancer I took over all the driving in both vehicles, so we could still get out and about before he died. I hope you never have to face that situation but it's possible your OH might break a bone or put their back out... if it happened whilst you were away and you couldn't happily take over the driving, you'd both be well and truly stuck. I'd hate to lose my freedom for the sake of a bit of practice. Go for it girls! 💋

I'd strongly urge all the wives/partners to drive more often and really get used to the van because, heaven forbid, you never know when you might really need to.

I've always loved driving, so it was never an issue for me... Martin and I always took turns. When he got cancer I took over all the driving in both vehicles, so we could still get out and about before he died. I hope you never have to face that situation but it's possible your OH might break a bone or put their back out... if it happened whilst you were away and you couldn't happily take over the driving, you'd both be well and truly stuck. I'd hate to lose my freedom for the sake of a bit of practice. Go for it girls! 💋
I think a lot of women think they are not good drivers when in fact they just, as you say, get less practise. Sometimes it is easier to get out on your own with no-one giving 'advice' from the passenger seat. With our first van I was nervous about driving so I waited for a weekend when I was home alone, booked a spot in a field 100 miles away, got up early and just went. I was surprised how easy it was! ;)

Your quite right, I like falling asleep in the passenger seat :)

On our way to Devon on a busy Sunday and we decided to count the motorhomes and campervans we saw in one mile (15). What I noticed was the vans with couples in we’re nearly all driven by men. In fact of the next 30 vans I only saw 3 women driving ! Why is this?
I drive our van happily a 3.8 ton mercedes autotrail but if out with other half he drives as I am better with the Sat Nav and navigation. I normally use maps with sat nav for traffic alerts.

I don't mind the big stock lorries & tractors, it the twats in cars that won't reverse
Going off topic a bit, but I absolutely agree with Sharon - when you meet something big coming the other way, it's almost always driven by someone (male or female!) who knows what they are doing, is able to reverse and knows the width of their vehicle exactly. It's the b****y "amateurs", especially the ones in rental MHs, who are the problem.

Back to the original question, my wife and I are both IAM qualified advanced drivers and can (and do) both drive the MH. However, SWMBO is a much better navigator than me and spends the journey working out where we're going to stay, finding interesting places to visit en route, etc., and I just get on with the boring bit of getting us there.

I'm happy to drive our motorhome, but I'm a better navigator - and my husband agrees!
Is this a gender problem? I (male) can't read as we go along as I want to chuck up. Madam loves to nav,(atlas on lap) and tell me what the sights are coming up. I do love to drive anyway.

I do most of the driving just to show, I can ignore others ! The voices and body language. Its the sign of a good relationship I think...
When others drive me I'm so attentive to vehical needs!

*Only* a woman is allowed to drive my campervan - and that's me ;-) That said, I was nervous at driving a van to begin with and I would be nervous driving a lager motorhome but then I career down the most narrowest single tracks to get to ancient sites knowing my van has the same road footprint as a modern SUV and so if they can go there - I can! (with the caveat nemesis of 'the height barrier' permitting) ;)

Yesterday, in Stratford, I told Louise, @Tinky Winky ,she could spend as long as she liked in the shops today, as long as she drove the truck home. For the first time ever, she actually spent a while thinking about it.

30 milliseconds I recon, before she said no. Lol

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back