Whitby encourages

Dee

I read in a paper a while back that Whitby council were actually considering encouraging campers/motor homes by extending the length of the season for their car parks that allow overnight campers as they need the extra tourism for their ecomony. Whitby is miles from where I live, but I thought this was interesting
Did anyone else read this?

Yeah there's been a fair amount of comments stating that 5ney now need OUR MONEY hence easing ban on motorhomes but many are boycotting due to the treatment motorhomers have received

Yeah there's been a fair amount of comments stating that 5ney now need OUR MONEY hence easing ban on motorhomes but many are boycotting due to the treatment motorhomers have received

It's truly tempting to put Whitby and Scarborough onto an avoid list but I think there is a chance to make a permanent place for us and, very important, it could provide ammunition to get other places to open up too. If nothing else it provides experience to those negotiating with the council; I'm not one of them, by the way; I like what I'm seeing about this.

It's truly tempting to put Whitby and Scarborough onto an avoid list but I think there is a chance to make a permanent place for us and, very important, it could provide ammunition to get other places to open up too. If nothing else it provides experience to those negotiating with the council; I'm not one of them, by the way; I like what I'm seeing about this.
I agree and really think we should use this facility we have to support and encourage councils that are trying to redress the balance even if it’s for selfish reasons. 👍

This is good news. Hopefully others will see the value in us too.

If they're trying to encourage motorhomes etc, how come they're still shutting wild camping sites down(Cowbar etc)?
Its all about control, & money as usual. They only want our custom on their terms, & if it wasn't for the lockdown they'd still be banning us. I'll spend my money where I'm welcome instead thankyou.
After my treatment by Scarborough council a while back I don't go there any more, & I still manage to enjoy my travels without them....

If they're trying to encourage motorhomes etc, how come they're still shutting wild camping sites down(Cowbar etc)?
Its all about control, & money as usual. They only want our custom on their terms, & if it wasn't for the lockdown they'd still be banning us. I'll spend my money where I'm welcome instead thankyou.
After my treatment by Scarborough council a while back I don't go there any more, & I still manage to enjoy my travels without them....
Just to be picky Cowbar is in Redcar & Cleveland authority so nothing to do with Scarborough / Whitby.

If it comes off and overnighting by the Abbey is allowed I for one will use the facility as it should be nice and quiet overnight. Even though I know of plenty of other places in Whitby. Give it some support It could spread down the coast. (y)

On last weeks thread on this I posted that I'd avoid it after the trouble in the past But now having second thoughts as to maybe it should be supported ? Just hope if it does go ahead it's respected and gives a good model for other councils to do the same

Thing is they have never stopped motorhome sparking anywhere in Whitby or Scarborough Between the hours of 7am to 11pm you just cannot stay the night and that’s not because of the campsites because they do a great trade and are nearly always fully booked in the summer months the problem was motorhomer and campervans setting up camp on the pavements and staying for weeks at a time you only have to look at Scarborough sea life centre when they said MHs could stay the night as long as they pay the fee and leave through the day so day visitors to the centre have adequate parking but they abuse it go any weekend its like one of the roughest campsites you ever stayed on and they wont be happy until we are banned from there again.

I wouldn't go to Whitby if you paid me. Nothing against the place, I just don't like seaside towns or towns in general really!

But I suppose if they are attracting motorhomers then there is less competition for the places I do want to go to so it's fine by me.

Huge Car Park right next to the Town Centre and Railway. Mostly empty at night yet they don't want MHs parked. The suggestion came from an ex Councillor so don't hold your breath. Talk was of using the Car Park at the top of the hill by the Abbey but its something like 170 steps down to the town and the same back.

Huge Car Park right next to the Town Centre and Railway. Mostly empty at night yet they don't want MHs parked. The suggestion came from an ex Councillor so don't hold your breath. Talk was of using the Car Park at the top of the hill by the Abbey but its something like 170 steps down to the town and the same back.
That carpark at times has been solid with motohomes and of no use to anyone else visiting the town.
So is it's not a matter of them not just providing facilities, but not providing facilities in a prime spot in the middle of town. As for up and down from the Abbey most will be able to make it down or there are always buses or taxi's. Maybe we should suggest we need a funicular building like they have at Le Treport to the aire.

That carpark at times has been solid with motohomes and of no use to anyone else visiting the town.
So is it's not a matter of them not just providing facilities, but not providing facilities in a prime spot in the middle of town. As for up and down from the Abbey most will be able to make it down or there are always buses or taxi's. Maybe we should suggest we need a funicular building like they have at Le Treport to the aire.
Or you could just drive down park on the sea front through the day and drive back up at night that’s what I do when I overnight on Blue bank cp.

I think that the great majority staying overnight on car parks give no problem. The problems arise when a few set up camp for a long time, or spread out with perhaps an awning or at least seats, possibly lighting a fire or running a generator.
If all motorhome users just parked their van for a short stay (maybe 1 or 2 days) and didn’t set up outside it I don’t think that there would be such a propensity to ban them. Banning all for the actions of a small minority I think is wrong. Rules preventing the behaviour described and limiting length of stay should be clear and penalties applied to those ignoring them. If these actions were taken there could be a win win, with local areas benefitting from the extra spend and car park fees and motorhomers having more places to stay.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back