Which battery brand do I trust

• Thread starter Deleted member 49439
  • Start date
He will never get a trojan in that space,the varta bosch wet are always a good bet using silver power frame tec,about £105 a pop,easy charged from a smart charger and nothing to tec,once you go to other fancy batts the charging and hi tec is way over peoples heads.

I am very pleased with a Varta LFD 230Ah Powerframe battery that I installed a couple of years ago.
After reading this thread, I went onto the Alpha Battery site, with pen, paper and abacus 🧮. The idea was to work out the price per amp hour, in Agm batteries. I’d like to keep my storage around 300ah . Their Energy brand 105ah @ £120 works out at £1.14 per ah, while the 290ah @ £345 = £1.18.
Therefore 105ah x 3 = 315ah for £360 . While the 290ah is £345. Pretty much the same, give or take. The advantage with the 290ah, to me anyway, is not having to faff around with putting 3 batteries in parallel.

That’s a long way around getting to my question.

I read somewhere, can’t remember where. That multiple batteries will give a better performance than one large one.
At the time it didn’t make a lot of sense, still doesn’t. Something like if one battery goes down, with 3 you can revert to 2. Then replace the duff one. That can’t be right. AlthoughI suppose if 1 large one, goes down your snookered.
Any thoughts? Although, not about the need for high amp hours. ‘Cos size matters.
( That’s what she said.
I think you had to be there.)

I need advice as to which pair of batteries I should install in our motorhome. Ideally I wanted 2 x Exide 142ah but they are too long. Trying to keep the amp hours as high as possible with a maximum length of 330mm narrows the field down to a handful; rendering the handful down of other questionable brands there are basically two 120ah batteries; a Enduroline EXV135 and a Lucas LX35MF from what I have read on various forums both have been described as budget batteries (whatever that means) which is a concern. So I’m looking to establish which one of the dubious pair to buy. Or alternatively if anyone knows a better wet battery at a similar or better amp hour then please let me know. Alternatively let me know which of the two battery brands I should buy. Someone suggested Leoch batteries but again I don’t know if they are any good. What I do know is that the battery industry is full of skullduggery and re-labelling. That’s why I need some help. Thanks

If you have room, I can highly recommend Yuasa EN100-6 6v batteries in pairs. As many as you can fit in. They can be used in any orientation except inverted, so positioning is quite flexible.

I have 10 of these in pairs giving 12v 500AH in my home, which is completely off grid. There were here when I bought the place 3 years ago, so I recently starting thinking that I should be planning to replace them soon and contacted Yuasa to find out how to date them. Quite incredibly, they are 21 years old and still working fine!

I am about to replace with Yuasa EN160-6. Wonder if they will last as long. Yuasa quote on the data sheet a typical life of 12 years.

I also plan to replace the Varta powerframes in my Moho with these in due course.

Date of manufacture confirmed by Yuasa by the serial number as per pictures below. 22nd November 1999.

IMG_0249.jpg
1592568551114.png

Last edited:
Many coach built motorhomes have low payloads .the better quality the battery the heavier it is .I have 2x 105 LBs at 46 klg a 100 amp lithium way's only 14 klg for about the same usable power and much less space .that is the main reason I would consider lithium

Many coach built motorhomes have low payloads .the better quality the battery the heavier it is .I have 2x 105 LBs at 46 klg a 100 amp lithium way's only 14 klg for about the same usable power and much less space .that is the main reason I would consider lithium
I don't have a issue with weight (only my own :) I have full air suspension and plated at 4500 kg.

He did indeed (hence your suggest on the T105s :) ).
I did wonder why and asked specifically Wet Batteries. Maybe we will find out why he likes Wet Cells?
Yes I deliberately said wet batteries, don't partially like them but I think they will suit what I'm trying to do now. I certainly don’t want to go to the expense at this point buying Lithium plus I don’t think the expense would end there with just the batteries as usually additional pieces of kit will be required to do a decent job (not wanting to kick off the bickering again :) as for AGM’s they would be a bit of a worry being totally sealed, we tend to travel south and with the batteries sighted under the lounge seat next to the boiler they will get warm; knowing AGM’s can create quite a bang if they get too hot I'm not putting them on my wish list. I will probably fit Lithium in a 2-3 years but now I just need the biggest bang for my buck within the space I have available. The problem with a lot of suggestions I have had is that they take the Ah down to circa 100Ah we are used to 2 x 140 Exide in our old Rapido and needed them at certain times when the sun wasn’t playing ball. Thanks for your interest.

Yes I deliberately said wet batteries, don't partially like them but I think they will suit what I'm trying to do now. I certainly don’t want to go to the expense at this point buying Lithium plus I don’t think the expense would end there with just the batteries as usually additional pieces of kit will be required to do a decent job (not wanting to kick off the bickering again :) as for AGM’s they would be a bit of a worry being totally sealed, we tend to travel south and with the batteries sighted under the lounge seat next to the boiler they will get warm; knowing AGM’s can create quite a bang if they get too hot I'm not putting them on my wish list. I will probably fit Lithium in a 2-3 years but now I just need the biggest bang for my buck within the space I have available. The problem with a lot of suggestions I have had is that they take the Ah down to circa 100Ah we are used to 2 x 140 Exide in our old Rapido and needed them at certain times when the sun wasn’t playing ball. Thanks for your interest.
Thanks for the explanation for your reason (y). I do understand your point ref Lithium - they are still a lot more than Lead Acid and the extra support items does push the total cost up for sure.
I'd still recommend calling Alpha Batteries. They have a good range of Wet Cells and has been noted by a couple of people, are very well priced sellers even before any member discount is applied.

After reading this thread, I went onto the Alpha Battery site, with pen, paper and abacus 🧮. The idea was to work out the price per amp hour, in Agm batteries. I’d like to keep my storage around 300ah . Their Energy brand 105ah @ £120 works out at £1.14 per ah, while the 290ah @ £345 = £1.18.
Therefore 105ah x 3 = 315ah for £360 . While the 290ah is £345. Pretty much the same, give or take. The advantage with the 290ah, to me anyway, is not having to faff around with putting 3 batteries in parallel.

That’s a long way around getting to my question.

I read somewhere, can’t remember where. That multiple batteries will give a better performance than one large one.
At the time it didn’t make a lot of sense, still doesn’t. Something like if one battery goes down, with 3 you can revert to 2. Then replace the duff one. That can’t be right. AlthoughI suppose if 1 large one, goes down your snookered.
Any thoughts? Although, not about the need for high amp hours. ‘Cos size matters.
( That’s what she said.
I think you had to be there.)
We have four leisure batteries, 2 are approx 13 years old and 2 about 11 years old. I once asked Phil why they had lasted so long as some folk have to change every 3/4 years or even less. His explanation makes a lot of sense, When they are being used the load/discharge is spread evenly so they have never gone dangerously low which means they have had a longer life. As a numpty , it made sense to me.#

We have four leisure batteries, 2 are approx 13 years old and 2 about 11 years old. I once asked Phil why they had lasted so long as some folk have to change every 3/4 years or even less. His explanation makes a lot of sense, When they are being used the load/discharge is spread evenly so they have never gone dangerously low which means they have had a longer life. As a numpty , it made sense to me.#
And me!
I reckon the more energy you have in store = bigger battery bank. The lower percentage you're using = batteries last longer.

Yes I would agree also , we are a fairly heavy user with electric kettle , microwave , lorraine's hairdryer , so I look at prob 3 years life out of mine

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back