Where to get solar panels fitted ooop North?

barryd

I am very close to getting a new van! in anticipation of that I am wondering about Solar. Our current van has a single 100w panel charging a single 125ah battery and its been perfect. This van has 2 x 90ah batteries so I reckon ill need 2 x 100w or 2 x 80w panels and an MPPT controller. Last time I bought all the gear myself and my local motorhome fixer did it. I might go down that route again but thought I would ask on here for a recommendation. Is this something @wildebus does? Also I think I might want to move my aging but still functioning Camos Dome from the old van to the new so I might want that fitting also.

I would want an MPPT controller that shows me all the Watts going in and out etc.

My van is fitted the way you want, 200w solar running through a votronic mppt unit which charges less and 1amp to starter bat, there is a panel which can be bought for the reg but I don't have one as I'm not a battery watcher as such, I do have volt meters at front cab which do as I'm a light user, and wildbus is your man if you want the job done right.
votronic regulator.png

Ok cheers. Whos "the man" to go to now then? Preferably ooop North. If this van is a goer it may well be the last van we ever get as ill likely keep it 15 to 20 years. I want to get it right although I guess technology will change in that time. Perhaps it will be able to fly and run on garbage like out of Back to the future two.

Liverpool
Aintree caravan services
Robbie
Mobile fitting in 2014 !
Still working fine

They don’t actually seem that bad to me, looks like they do plenty campers and mohos, have you checked their social media out?

They don’t actually seem that bad to me, looks like they do plenty campers and mohos, have you checked their social media out?

No not yet. will have a look. Just sounding out a few possibilities. Not even got the van yet but I am closer now than I have been in the ten years I have been searching! (not a typo, I literally have been looking to change vans for ten years :D )

Rhino Installs near Preston:

I have used them three times, absolutely excellent. Very highly rated by everybody.

Quite a lead time because they're good!

I am very close to getting a new van! in anticipation of that I am wondering about Solar. Our current van has a single 100w panel charging a single 125ah battery and its been perfect. This van has 2 x 90ah batteries so I reckon ill need 2 x 100w or 2 x 80w panels and an MPPT controller. Last time I bought all the gear myself and my local motorhome fixer did it. I might go down that route again but thought I would ask on here for a recommendation. Is this something @wildebus does? Also I think I might want to move my aging but still functioning Camos Dome from the old van to the new so I might want that fitting also.

I would want an MPPT controller that shows me all the Watts going in and out etc.
Just had some work done on my van and already pencilled in Haltwhistle Caravan and Leisure (phone 0800 234 3284) to fit solar panels on our next trip to them. They are very knoweldgeable and helpful. .

I live in Aberdeenshire (pretty far “up norf !”) but travelled all the way down to Taunton for VanBitz to do a very similar job. For me it’s worth travelling to somebody who comes so highly recommended and I make a bit of a holiday out of it.

I would make a comment on the idea of "one massive panel" .... Maybe I am being over-cautious but I have always preferred the idea of multiple panels.
With the framing, you might get a smaller overall wattage for a given roof space, but I reckon the glass would be better protected against vibrations as centre will be closer to the support (frame); if there is any damage (flying road debris say), a single smaller panel will be both cheaper to replace and the remainder will carry on working so you still have partial solar harvesting; and you have flexibility in configuration (all series, all parallel, series/parallel mix) to suit your own needs. Plus with smaller panels you might finds you can in-fill in gaps where the big panel may have to avoid due to obstructions.

Great stuff guys thanks. A few options there now. Taunton wouldnt be out of the question as we were supposed to be heading that way in the old van this year anyway but I prefer to get stuff done as local as possible just in case something goes wrong. not so much an issue with Solar you would hope though.

If I were doing mine again I would try and squeeze 2x320W panels on. Mate of mine put two of them on his lorry conversion and they are impressive compared to my 2x150W panels. Personally I would fill the roof with as much as you can get on there as well

It depends on how much you use, I was happy with 250ah and 100watts running a 600w inverter and a TV and PVR every night winter and summer one thing Barry, I'd be inclined to by a a cheap PWM controller, and remove the MPPT one you have, easy job 6 wires clearly identified. Its still one of the best out there and is happy with lead acid cheap batteries.

It depends on how much you use, I was happy with 250ah and 100watts running a 600w inverter and a TV and PVR every night winter and summer one thing Barry, I'd be inclined to by a a cheap PWM controller, and remove the MPPT one you have, easy job 6 wires clearly identified. Its still one of the best out there and is happy with lead acid cheap batteries.

Actually thats not a bad idea. I think the one I have is the 20 amp version though. I do like it.

The other thing to consider I suppose is maybe a battery master or whatever they are called that tops up the engine battery once the leisure battery is full. Could be useful if parked up for several weeks in the same spot which is not unknown.

I dont know what the demand will be on this van compared to our current one. Its full of LED lights but I think the Truma heating uses battery power (I think). Our gas fire does not of course. Is there anything else on a modern van that uses battery power where ours does not?

100 watt solar panel keeps our 2 x 95 ah battery's charged we aren't heavy users 3 hrs tv and hot water and heating as req often stationary for 7 to 10 days in Portugal during winter. Not used in dark and murky climes though

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back