Where do you go to refill drinking water?

over the years its amazing how many really old cesspits have been damaged by chemicals . folk now have automatic dish washers . plus clothes washing machines etc etc all sending the wrong type of product into the pit.
some were never emptied in 50yrs but a new owner etc and every 3 months or so a tanker as to go and empty the pit . at a cost.
lots of friends moved over to brittany and france years ago and had loads of trouble with their sewage .
so many came from towns on mains sewage and didnt understand how pits worked.
there still is thousands of them in use in uk . not just abroad.
my place here had one from 1923 till about 1980 when the owners got old and as mains was going by to supply new property they went for the mains . shame really as once on mains you cant go back , i would prefer the pit.
a good two chambered built pit works great if you look after it.
i found working in the sewage industry really interesting and later very usefull when traveling around .
helped build a few works ,later drove the tankers all good fun .
working with the fresh water works also great for survival when traveling in africa etc .

Last edited:
over the years its amazing how many really old cesspits have been damaged by chemicals . folk now have automatic dish washers . plus clothes washing machines etc etc all sending the wrong type of product into the pit.
some were never emptied in 50yrs but a new owner etc and every 3 months or so a tanker as to go and empty the pit . at a cost.
lots of friends moved over to brittany and france years ago and had loads of trouble with their sewage .
so many came from towns on mains sewage and didnt understand how pits worked.
there still is thousands of them in use in uk . not just abroad.
my place here had one from 1923 till about 1980 when the owners got old and as mains was going by to supply new property they went for the mains . shame really asonce on mains you cant go back , i would prefer the pit.
a good two chambered built pit works great if you look after it.
i found working in the sewage industry really interesting and later very usefull when traveling around .
helped build a few works ,later drove the tankers all good fun .
working with the fresh water works also great for survival when traveling in africa etc .
There was a shallow river that I use to canoe and on weekends it would stink of washing powder, someone explained that lots of people have moved their washers into garages etc and fitted the waste pipe to the gutter downpipe drains :(

yes its a strange world we live in . there are lots of new rules being arranged these days stopping that sort of thing happening.
lots of sewage pits etc being . monitored and some having to fit modern small sewage plants instead.
water leaving a pit etc should not be allowed into streams or rivers etc .
mind good land drains do work ok . lots do still use land drains for roof water etc .

Houses I have had for the last 30 years have had septic tanks. You are supposed to use non bio products or so we were instructed. Last house had 10 properties emptying into it and we were responsible for it. Half the folks carried on as if it they were on mains drainage but the tank coped. You can get bacteria going again emptying Natural yoghurt In if needs be. You should work on drainage being septic tank if off grid

yes its a strange world we live in . there are lots of new rules being arranged these days stopping that sort of thing happening.
lots of sewage pits etc being . monitored and some having to fit modern small sewage plants instead.
water leaving a pit etc should not be allowed into streams or rivers etc .
mind good land drains do work ok . lots do still use land drains for roof water etc .

Where I used to have a static caravan the site had 185 vans and every month the septic tank had to be pumped out because the outlet used to go in a land drain and without a monthly pump out it caused too much pollution for the environment agency to be happy :):poop::poop:

Does anyone know how much it costs to have a domestic tank pumped out ?

I wild 3/4 nights then use a site for a day or 2 to replenish water and dump waste. On occasions I have used the C&CC facility at £7.50 to replenish water, dump waste and use their showers and washing machines.
When looking for my new motorhome last year a priority was water tank capacity. My C class has 135 litre fresh that I only use for showering and washing up and 95 litre waste tank. I carry 30 litres of drinking water in seperate containers.
Never used public toilets for emptying cassette, not for me skulking around toilets or carrying the cassette in a bag to hide it from view as some members do. Regarding using a cemetery tap for water no chance, imagine being there if a funeral cortège turned up !
Prefer the campsite solution but mid-winter rarely available. So tend to use public loos, but have to say I’ve never made a mess myself, but I’ve cleaned up dreadful messes left by Joe public. Always leave a generous donation where possible. I have encountered local volunteers in the course of doing so and never a frown or bad word. No. If you do use public loo always flush half way to avoid clogging drain, and preferably after travelling some way so it’s all nice and slushy😩

There was a shallow river that I use to canoe and on weekends it would stink of washing powder, someone explained that lots of people have moved their washers into garages etc and fitted the waste pipe to the gutter downpipe drains :(
All goes to same here ,newer builds are sep sys.

Graveyards with A LOT of sensitivity, there is a risk of adding more people to the list that dont like us, in this present climate I would avoid unless necessary. Although environmentally its not good, at the moment I personally would be inclined and recommend to buy bottles rather than use a cementary.....but maybe in the future if some sanity prevails. Dont forget the donations box if there is one present.
I use them when need to, never had a problem ok a few looks from the older end.

and what do they think and what do they say to other people ? :(
I know where you are coming from but i wouldn't know the answer 2 either of your points . Ps. They are on the POIs to be used .

Post 19. Agreed, I once asked to 'fill only' at a CAMC site in Scotland and was told to "bog off" ….sorry, they were more polite than that.
I quizzed the reception staff who actually admitted that the were doing it to discourage wild camping.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back