Where do you go to refill drinking water?

DanElGrand

I've recently bought my first van, and plan to generally (considerately) go "wild" with it. Where do you all generally go for water refills in the UK? Ideally I'd like to avoid buying plastic bottles from the supermarket, and wouldn't mind paying a quid or two.

Garages when getting diesel.
Many other places "Eyes and ears" (well just eyes) and a 10 litre watering can and a 5 litre supermarket bottle
Have managed fine throught UK NI and ROI (trickier) mainly wilding. Both showering each day !
My wife uses the shower water to wash clothes !

Graveyards with A LOT of sensitivity, there is a risk of adding more people to the list that dont like us, in this present climate I would avoid unless necessary. Although environmentally its not good, at the moment I personally would be inclined and recommend to buy bottles rather than use a cementary.....but maybe in the future if some sanity prevails. Dont forget the donations box if there is one present.

Last edited:
Some campsites will let you use their facilities without paying for a nights stay. The CCC lists some of their sites that gives you access to facilities if you are a member but there is a charge (think it may have been £7 last year). This lets you use all facilities though not just water. I have emptied cassette and filled with water for no charge at two different CCC cl’s though.

Be careful at garages, I've heard some use recycled water from the car wash.
A lot of parks have a drinking water tap. Many resorts have taps on the sea front.
Public toilets, cemeteries, many places to find water.
Even in the wilds, I use water from a spring or stream but employ a proper charcoal filter for this.
Never, ever had a problem with finding water.

Water is not so much a problem for us with a fresh tank of 140L capacity. The toilet is our limiting factor. We need to empty about every three days. I am happy to empty in public toilets if they are not busy. We do not use chemicals.

We either visit a campsite as required and stay for the night to fill and empty, or in France about once a week we stay at a site for laundry and spacious showers.

At home I suspect you might find membership of the camping and caravan club beneficial. As has been stated some sites will allow a service visit, but it also gives access to the certified sites network to avail of their facilities at regular intervals. I specifically mention the C&CC because they also have meet ups all over the country very cheaply with access to water and sewage.

These to my mind are a good default to have supplementing the more opportunist filling of water when needed.

Davy

Be careful at garages, I've heard some use recycled water from the car wash.
A lot of parks have a drinking water tap. Many resorts have taps on the sea front.
Public toilets, cemeteries, many places to find water.
Even in the wilds, I use water from a spring or stream but employ a proper charcoal filter for this.
Never, ever had a problem with finding water.
I appreciate your comment re "recycled garage water" which in our case woukd go into ur tank.
BUT we only use it for washing/showering..We use a 5 litre bottle for drinking/cooking water..which we only fill ftom "eau potable sources"

We don't find getting water a problem.

Emptying the cassette can be tricky, in the UK, although we only once reached a 'critical level' in Ireland and on that occassion visited a small campsite and payed to dump it.

We are not a member of the clubs as we don't need what they provide. CSs and CLs are good but as we tend not to plan far ahead and when travelling like to make up the route as we go it is not possible to book and with the current situation any camp site is likely to be full.

We would not object to paying a CS or CL to dump the cassette and fill with water but would need a list with phone numbers so we could call ahead and arrange. Can't see why an owner would object as it is extra revenue for them.

Does such a list exist?

Graveyards with A LOT of sensitivity, there is a risk of adding more people to the list that dont like us,
IMO best to avoid Cemeteries as someones paying for that water and You'd be stealing it The last thing someone recently bereaved needs is to see some one as mean as to be taking water from a cemetery

IMO best to avoid Cemeteries as someones paying for that water and You'd be stealing it The last thing someone recently bereaved needs is to see some one as mean as to be taking water from a cemetery
I feel like I have to defend myself as I would never advocate stealing. A tap in a cemetery is for public use, if used to fill a container for drinking opposed to watering flowers or rinsing hands after tending to a grave I don't think this can be classed as stealing. Our taxes cover the cost of a council maintained cemetery and in a rural setting in all likelyhood there will be a church donation box as stated in my post. I think you would struggle to carry more than 2 pence worth of water and believe that most people would put a lot more than that in the box. With regards to the recently bereaved I believe that I made it very clear that a degree of sensitivity needs to be used.

I've recently bought my first van, and plan to generally (considerately) go "wild" with it. Where do you all generally go for water refills in the UK? Ideally I'd like to avoid buying plastic bottles from the supermarket, and wouldn't mind paying a quid or two.
You're welcome to pop around to my place to fill up, 50p a gallon to you :)

I feel like I have to defend myself as I would never advocate stealing. A tap in a cemetery is for public use, if used to fill a container for drinking opposed to watering flowers or rinsing hands after tending to a grave I don't think this can be classed as stealing. Our taxes cover the cost of a council maintained cemetery and in a rural setting in all likelyhood there will be a church donation box as stated in my post. I think you would struggle to carry more than 2 pence worth of water and believe that most people would put a lot more than that in the box. With regards to the recently bereaved I believe that I made it very clear that a degree of sensitivity needs to be used.
I'm sure it wasn't put there for filling motorhome tanks. As for taxes covering it surely your not suggesting filling at our local cemetery where your taxes may contribute to it if your out of your area it's someone else's council tax. Most located around a Church are owned and maintained by the church and you really have to pay to end up there and again if you want a headstone installed and your asked to contribute to the cemetery's maintenance which covers the water How can you appear sensitive while carrying away cans of water most collection boxes are quite distance away from the tap so I can't see anyone going into the church to add a contribution.

So we have the follow up question.

Would you overnight in (or near) a graveyard/cemetery carpark .
Some French aires are perilously close.
We do not as Nida seems to know if there is one near, which we may not have seen until we drive out the next day.
So not for us.
Buddhists seem fairly "Ghost Orientated" !

We are members of C&CC and once when we needed..we Disposed of grey and black water and topped up with fresh water
It was free on production of memebership card.
But we left a donation (as well as a deposit!)
CCC are saying at the moment this service has been suspended.

Water is not so much a problem for us with a fresh tank of 140L capacity. The toilet is our limiting factor. We need to empty about every three days. I am happy to empty in public toilets if they are not busy. We do not use chemicals.

We either visit a campsite as required and stay for the night to fill and empty, or in France about once a week we stay at a site for laundry and spacious showers.

At home I suspect you might find membership of the camping and caravan club beneficial. As has been stated some sites will allow a service visit, but it also gives access to the certified sites network to avail of their facilities at regular intervals. I specifically mention the C&CC because they also have meet ups all over the country very cheaply with access to water and sewage.

These to my mind are a good default to have supplementing the more opportunist filling of water when needed.

Davy
C&MC are quite adamant they do not allow motorhomes not staying overnight to use their facilities.

Thanks @barge1914
Post 18 perfectly valid at the moment (C&CC)
Post 19 Not surprised (CAMC)

We belong to C&CC they seem to suit motorhomers better than CAMC..just an impression.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back