When or are you heating your van?

The laird

Got frosty here today my question is
1/Are you going to put some heating in your van when it’s parked up
2/ What are you doung for heat ie oil filled radiator or other?

ive got an oil filled rad on a timer hooked up to mains at the house

Have you drained your water and boiler yet ?

i have not as going to be using still ,last hymer I never drainer either and never had any issues
whats your thoughts

I put the silver screens on, and put a small dehumidifier in, ( in know some dont think there worth doing but I can feel the difference if I dont) open the cupboards still use it during the winter, just empty water tanks when not in use

Hi Gordon, just drained the water out the other day, after getting our first frosts. Probably a bit premature given the forecast but better safe than sorry....Never heated either of our two motorhomes, and it can get pretty cold here, but I’d never had a problem.

Always drain down boiler and open taps etc if chance of frost but don’t bother with any heating between trips out which is every other week.
Having the motorhome at home on drive I always open rooflight, windows etc when the weather allows to keep the iinterior ‘aired ‘ for want of a better word.
The only time I have had to put a heater in was when due to a severe frost the dump valve wouldn’t reset so put a fan heater in for 30 minutes to allow the frost dump valve to reset then just kept the Truma on until I headed out.

Better to get out any water that can freeze, much easier than doing any repairs.

In eleven years of ownership ive never heated the van when stood. I never even used to drain it down for the first few years until I read it was a good idea. :D

Never had a problem. I bet vans are stood on dealers for courts forecourts for months over winter without being heated.

Once you heat it then when it cools thats when condo sets in,so either keep it warm 24/7 or keep it cool,no of and on.
AS for dehumidifiers ,wast of time as the air around us is full of water and it will take forever to dry the world up.

I use the van all year round and never drain it or heat it when it's stood and never had a problem, but I live in the mild Northwest, it's not a winter wonderland like Scotland.

My van is left out on the street and so can't be easily heated, I do empty the tank and hot water system and put a small dehumidifier in. I sometimes even remember to put the big round polo in the dehumidifier.

My camper is my only vehicle so used everyday. Water drained down for the winter last week.
In all the years of caravanning (33years) I've never heated it when stood over the winter. Never had any problems.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back