When is it too windy??

gratefulj

I've recently spent a few nights in the Brecon Beacons (I highly recommend). The first spot I had chosen was Gospel Pass which is a few miles from Hay On Wye on the edge of the national park. Unlike my normal MO I had actually gone and checked it out in the daytime (I'm learning from my mistakes) and found it to be on too much of a slant but I'd passed what I would call a viewing platform type car park about half a mile down the road and so decided I would stop there instead. So I went back into town for a mooch about and returned just before dusk. When I pulled up the whole sky was black and I could see the rain falling in cone like shapes on the tops of the mountains all around me and so I knew we'd be in for a stormy night (I don't mind the rain) however I thought it pertinent to check the weather app on my phone. In the main picture I think it said showers but in the small hour by hour forecast all it had right through the night was the swirly wind symbol. I scrolled down a bit further and it said 20 mph winds. Now I'm only in my second month of motorhoming and have no idea what 20 mph winds are but they didn't sound like much so I popped the roof and put the kettle on.
Now my van is 34 years old and I'm pretty sure it wasn't designed in a wind tunnel, it's also noisy at the best of times though I've sort of got used to it and the spot we were on was pretty exposed. I wasn't too worried (tiny bit) about getting blown over the edge, I had the handbrake on tight and I'd left it in gear but the wind really began to hit us hard so much so that at about midnight I took the roof down as it was getting really noisy and the van was really rocking every time a gust hit us. By about 2.30 am I'd had enough. There was no way I was gonna get any sleep and my tiny fear about getting blown off the top had grown so I decided that I would slowly drive back down in to Hay on Wye and park in the main carpark.
So I have a couple of questions that I hope you guys will answer

When is it too windy?
Would you have stayed up there once you'd seen the weather forecast?

Cheers
J

Attachments

• IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 302
It depends on the type of van/moho you have.
I would think a pop top would shake in a wind, but a tag axle (like we have) can be quite steady.
We have stayed overnight in really windy weather, but was able to turn the back of the moho to the wind, and/or positioning the vehicle so the hab door is not ripped from your grip when opened.

We parked up one new years eve, at Holme Moss car park, to look down on Holme at the fireworks, and it can be very windy up there. A colleague parked his Hymer, back to the wind, and opened his passenger door to exit, the door was wrenched from his grip and smashed his mirror, also damaging the door. :(
So, even if you have the most steady of vehicles, you could still sustain damage.

We spent a windy night at the Lusitania Memorial on the south of Ireland coast and I am pretty confident it was force 8 gusting 9 and after 28 years in the North Sea I am pretty familiar with wind speeds. However, our van had rear stays (which is why we have had them fitted to the van we now have) and after turning into the gale and putting the stays down we were good. The wife was not so sure addmittedly but such is married life. :)

Frankly in a lighter van it would have been disastrous so you have to look at your kit and the conditions and make a judgement. Starting with what there is about that the wind might catch and chuck at you.

B2

A advertised wind speed of 20MPH can often have a advisory of Gusts to 40mph or more, added to your situation at the head of a valley with wind funnelling up (and over) before reaching your position could result in higher minimum wind speed.
The design of your van - a house brick with a wedge front - is no doubt stable at speeds over 60mph on a motorway but not so happy in a cross wind. Pointing into the wind (if possible ) may have helped but with gusting swirling winds its not so easy.

I would say you did the right thing :cool:

David

I remember being on top of Mow Cop when it was so windy it was a struggle to open the SLD, but inside the van there was just the odd movement every now and then.
With any pop top you would expect to drop it in poor conditions.

Undoubtedly best avoided but sometimes you just can't escape completely, so I've been told the best bet is to try to avoid crosswinds hitting the sides of the van and turn the nose into the wind. Also, sheltering behind a hill or tree-line can help as a windbreak. Over the past couple of years, I've had to sit tight and find the best shelter I could in Storm Hector up in the Orkneys in June 2017, Ex-Hurricane Ophelia on Shell Island in October 2017 and again in October this year with Storm Callum on Shell Island. Callum brought gusts of up to 86 mph for most of the first day but we managed to find a slightly calmer spot in the lee of a hill/bank. One of my door hinges suffered a bit when the wind slammed the door that day but other than that we were fine. Personally, I don't think I'd worry any more about 20mph winds but I don't deny that the full force of nature can be pretty hair-raising!

In your situation no I would have gone simply because you weren’t enjoying it. It’s meant to be a pleasure not a punishment.

We parked up in an exposed field at Tain (Black Isle) motocross track couple of years ago. This immense gale got up and was rocking the van so much I thought I was on a boat and going to be seasick. Had to get up during the night and turn into the wind. Noisy as anything but smoothed the rocking out. Just another adventure.

Bearing in mind the season, I'd say when all the sprouts have been eaten...…………………………….OK I'll get my coat :wave:

I see it's an Auto - Sleeper you hafe we have had a few A-S lift up roofs our current Trooper is a newer version roof to yours we have not yet found a wind we have been so unhappy to drop the roof in bad winds I try to park with the rear facing the wind to stop the front stay strap from singing. I have modified the lift up sides to seal with the roof better and cut out draughts. We use the van all year round mostly over winter on the North Yorkshire moors

Alf

I've recently spent a few nights in the Brecon Beacons (I highly recommend). The first spot I had chosen was Gospel Pass which is a few miles from Hay On Wye on the edge of the national park. Unlike my normal MO I had actually gone and checked it out in the daytivtme (I'm learning from my mistakes) and found it to be on too much of a slant but I'd passed what I would call a viewing platform type car park about half a mile down the road and so decided I would stop there instead. So I went back into town for a mooch about and returned just before dusk. When I pulled up the whole sky was black and I could see the rain falling in cone like shapes on the tops of the mountains all around me and so I knew we'd be in for a stormy night (I don't mind the rain) however I thought it pertinent to check the weather app on my phone. In the main picture I think it said showers but in the small hour by hour forecast all it had right through the night was the swirly wind symbol. I scrolled down a bit further and it said 20 mph winds. Now I'm only in my second month of motorhoming and have no idea what 20 mph winds are but they didn't sound like much so I popped the roof and put the kettle on.
Now my van is 34 years old and I'm pretty sure it wasn't designed in a wind tunnel, it's also noisy at the best of times though I've sort of got used to it and the spot we were on was pretty exposed. I wasn't too worried (tiny bit) about getting blown over the edge, I had the handbrake on tight and I'd left it in gear but the wind really began to hit us hard so much so that at about midnight I took the roof down as it was getting really noisy and the van was really rocking every time a gust hit us. By about 2.30 am I'd had enough. There was no way I was gonna get any sleep and my tiny fear about getting blown off the top had grown so I decided that I would slowly drive back down in to Hay on Wye and park in the main carpark.
So I have a couple of questions that I hope you guys will answer

When is it too windy?
Would you have stayed up there once you'd seen the weather forecast?

Cheers
J

My opinion is that if you find yourself in a situation that you’re uncertain about and have any concerns, then get in the seat and drive elsewhere until you feel safer.

been in a few draughty places. turn to face the wind if poss, and rocks under the wheels to stop any drifting.
remember though, the van's body and chassis are joined to the axles with springs and rubbers ,so although you might feel the van's about to go over , it would take quite a breeze to lift the wheels !

Undoubtedly best avoided but sometimes you just can't escape completely, so I've been told the best bet is to try to avoid crosswinds hitting the sides of the van and turn the nose into the wind.

You've just reminded me of being near Mount Cook in a 8 berth motorhome, had to get up middle of night and turn into wind, then half hour later went outside and jammed a stone into the loose mud guard that was rattling.

In a situation like that always park facing the wind, most vehicle are designed to give least resistance to the wind for economy reasons.

Facing the wind advice definitely good.
We always keep an eye on the weather and if there are gusts of over 40 we tend to go for somewhere sheltered, mainly because it can get so noisy that it is hard to sleep.
Also, in really strong wind and torrential rain the rain can force its way in where there is usually no problem!

A compass can be useful. Make sure you know which way the wind is coming from then you can tuck yourself away from it somewhere sheltered. Quarries are good...keep watching them clouds.

Being under trees can be noisy too with rain landing on the roof...once, in France, although not particularly windy we were under oak trees and every time there was a gust about hundred acorns landed on the roof from a great height. Much louder than you can imagine! You live and learn.

You'll be surprised how in touch with the weather and your surroundings you have become in no time at all.
Hope you can keep warm enough. Best of luck.

Would driving elsewhere actually be a good idea though unless the area parked in is REALLY exposed. if the winds are big enough to be a concern when static, driving would be more risky surely? Moving vehicle into the wind to present the smallest area would be best as said, I'd have thought.

We spent a windy night at the Lusitania Memorial on the south of Ireland coast and I am pretty confident it was force 8 gusting 9 and after 28 years in the North Sea I am pretty familiar with wind speeds. However, our van had rear stays (which is why we have had them fitted to the van we now have) and after turning into the gale and putting the stays down we were good. The wife was not so sure addmittedly but such is married life. :)

Frankly in a lighter van it would have been disastrous so you have to look at your kit and the conditions and make a judgement. Starting with what there is about that the wind might catch and chuck at you.

B2

Good thinking about other objects.

We crossed the Bealach Na Ba in what were reported as 100mph winds a couple of years ago, and I swear at one point we were on 2 wheels. A very frightening experience indeed!

On reaching Applecross everything was pitch black due to powercuts and we decided to park up in the public car park just up the road from the Inn as this would be more sheltered. We still got buffeted by the winds all night long and at one stage I had to turn the van to prevent us getting side on gusts.

All in all, a very noisy and uncomfortable night and in fact one motorhome on the caravan site up the road did get blown over that night.

Bearing in mind the season, I'd say when all the sprouts have been eaten...…………………………….OK I'll get my coat :wave:

I was going to mention eating too many baked beans . . . . . . . . . . . . . That may be my taxi out there :wave:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back