What to do and where to go in Northumberland

suneye

Hi we have had Northumberland recommended to us as a place to visit this summer. I have never visited this area so wonder if there are any recommendations of places to visit, must do things to do, good places to eat, whilst there. Thanks

Hi. Northumberland covers 2000 sq miles so lots to see and do with the popular coastal areas especially amble north to berwick.
Out west theres hexham and tynedale area with hadrians wall and keilder forest.
I think theres a good recent youtube blog on "overlanding sophia" (at least i think thats the name) which i thought gave a good overview of some of the varying landscape. Feel free to pm me if you want further info.
Cheers stu

There used to be a small layby with a wonderful view of Anick castle, not sure if it is still possible to WC there.
Don't forget the Farn islands off seahouses and Lindisfarn. Huge sandy beaches where you could get the hairs on your legs sandblasted off last time I was there.

Got back recently from a 30 night trip up the east coast to Edinburgh, back via Carlisle and Northumberland / Cumbria / County Durham / Yorkshire moors. Only a couple of nights in Northumberland itself (will add reviews to the POIs)

CR Cambois 2 (Northumberland) 30/6/21 4*
Overlooking beach and North Sea. Cambois 2 smaller than 1 and more level, but OK for 6m van parked facing the sea.

Berwick-on-Tweed (Northumberland) 55.77292, -2.00264
Castle Gate overflow car park. Day time parking. Free, no parking disc required, 24 hour limit but no cooking or sleeping in vehicles. Under fortified walls, close to town.

CR Allenheads (Northumberland) 14/7/21 3*
Car park off a quiet road. Gravel, level. Views over the moors. In no-mans-land between County signs for Cumbria and County Durham

We did more a year ago around Hadrian's Wall.

Hi. Northumberland covers 2000 sq miles so lots to see and do with the popular coastal areas especially amble north to berwick.
Out west theres hexham and tynedale area with hadrians wall and keilder forest.
I think theres a good recent youtube blog on "overlanding sophia" (at least i think thats the name) which i thought gave a good overview of some of the varying landscape. Feel free to pm me if you want further info.
Cheers stu
thanks for vlog recommendation that was useful. It looks like there is lots to explore in the area.

Hi we have had Northumberland recommended to us as a place to visit this summer. I have never visited this area so wonder if there are any recommendations of places to visit, must do things to do, good places to eat, whilst there. Thanks
I live near hexham so will give some local ideas To eat my favourite The Beaumont Hotel in Hexham, visit the Abbey check if they have a concert on.there maybe something on at the Queen's Hall and the Old Gaol England's first purpose-built prison where they tell the story of the Border Reivers. If you want Roman history Vindolanda is the best site. You can see the wall nearby at Housteads but if your fit, walk the sections anywhere from the Roman Army Museum at Walltown to Housteads, Steel Rigg is a good view if you just need to park and cannot make quite steep climbs. There are changes for the museums Tyne green is a nice riverside stroll and if its sunny the nearby village of Anick has a pub The Rat with great views from the beer garden. Eating also LA Bouchon hexham the Hjem at Wall and the Feathers Hedley on the Hill The angel in Corbridge which is a nice village with cafes and independent shops also a roman town on the outskirsts. The racecourse at hexham if thats your thing. Worth a google to see if events are on at the sele in hexham. The Hexham Courant has a website. There is often festivals and such like. you have just missed a well regarded literary festival but other stuff happens all the time . Enjoy. Where to stop is a different question. There is a campsite at Fallowfiel. I think a narrow entrance to an open space behind Riverside leisure, south of the railway not Tyne Green the park but near a street with that name that might be a wild spot but I have only walked past it and wondered. Cannot be certain as I've never stayed there and have not seen anyone else so I don't feel I can suggest it as a poi

Last edited:
I live near hexham so will give some local ideas To eat my favourite The Beaumont Hotel in Hexham, visit the Abbey check if they have a concert on.there maybe something on at the Queen's Hall and the Old Gaol England's first purpose-built prison where they tell the story of the Border Reivers. If you want Roman history Vindolanda is the best site. You can see the wall nearby at Housteads but if your fit, walk the sections anywhere from the Roman Army Museum at Walltown to Housteads, Steel Rigg is a good view if you just need to park and cannot make quite steep climbs. There are changes for the museums Tyne green is a nice riverside stroll and if its sunny the nearby village of Anick has a pub The Rat with great views from the beer garden. Eating also LA Bouchon hexham the Hjem at Wall and the Feathers Hedley on the Hill The angel in Corbridge which is a nice village with cafes and independent shops also a roman town on the outskirsts. The racecourse at hexham if thats your thing. Worth a google to see if events are on at the sele in hexham. The Hexham Courant has a website. There is often festivals and such like. you have just missed a well regarded literary festival but other stuff happens all the time . Enjoy. Where to stop is a different question. There is a campsite at Fallowfiel. I think a narrow entrance to an open space behind Riverside leisure, south of the railway not Tyne Green the park but near a street with that name that might be a wild spot but I have only walked past it and wondered. Cannot be certain as I've never stayed there and have not seen anyone else so I don't feel I can suggest it as a poi
Thank you some great local knowledge. Trouble with going somewhere completely new is you can end up going to the same place as everyone else and spending the day driving round looking for somewhere to park. We know we are going at the busiest time of year and some tips on good places to go like this is just what we are looking for thanks.

Thank you some great local knowledge. Trouble with going somewhere completely new is you can end up going to the same place as everyone else and spending the day driving round looking for somewhere to park. We know we are going at the busiest time of year and some tips on good places to go like this is just what we are looking for thanks.
just a thought Hjem is a Michelin star place and is priced accordingly

just a thought Hjem is a Michelin star place and is priced accordingly
Sounds lovely but not really us :) If I can't walk in in a pair of muddy walking boots it's probably not going on the list - I'm sure someone will benefit from this information so thanks for adding it.

My favourite town pub, the Tap and Spile has just opened again after being closed, havnt got their pies sorted yet though. Pub food at the Heart and Tannery.

Assuming you have the Wild Camping app: my personal preferences for quiet get away wild camp sites:
North and Central: Thrunton Woods west of Alnwick; Cheswick Sands south of Berwick (the town walls are worth a wander); Flodden (if you are into history); Wooler Common on the fringe of The Cheviot.
Tynedale: Coanwood in S Tynedale; Vindolanda on the Wall; Hexham (Tyne Green) for a quiet urban site; Stocksfield. All have access to good walks and not far off Hadrian's Wall. with countless sites to visit.

My Northumberland must do’s would be the Wall between Walltown Country Park and Housesteads; Coastal castles - Lindisfarne and Dunstanburgh are my favourites; a boat trip to the Farne Islands (although the puffins will be gone by now) and the Pennine Way up the Cheviot.
Percy’s Cross near Otterburn Camp is always a quiet and shady camping spot if your van is small.
The A68 is a great compromise if you want to get there fast but don’t fancy the A1(M).

Assuming you have the Wild Camping app: my personal preferences for quiet get away wild camp sites:
North and Central: Thrunton Woods west of Alnwick; Cheswick Sands south of Berwick (the town walls are worth a wander); Flodden (if you are into history); Wooler Common on the fringe of The Cheviot.
Tynedale: Coanwood in S Tynedale; Vindolanda on the Wall; Hexham (Tyne Green) for a quiet urban site; Stocksfield. All have access to good walks and not far off Hadrian's Wall. with countless sites to visit.
Thanks for this

If you have time for a full day out then Cragside at Rothbury is a rarely mentioned hidden gem that appeals to people who remember the sixties.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back