What possible problem might an overnight stop cause because of Covid19,

GeoffL

Nothing I have read here answers my original query. Arguments about what is or is not a law do not answer the question. Why may we not spend a night in our motorhomes elsewhere other than our drives. We do not need to get out so we are in our own environment safe from disease transmission in either direction. Yes 2cv as you say "due to accident, breakdown or illness" sounds like a fair point but this applies just as much to those travelling anywhere, allowed or otherwise for reasons legit or otherwise so why are we not allowed to stop overnight? It makes no sense.
In a nutshell -- because it's illegal; because we'd have anarchy if everyone ignored the law. ... and the law doesn't have to (and often doesn't) make sense.

You asked "What possible problem might an overnight stop cause because of Covid19". If just one person did it, quietly and with nobody noticing, there probably wouldn't be an issue. If hundreds did it and ended up parking so close they couldn't open their habitation doors, provided nobody breached the containment a motorhome offers, there would be little chance of spreading infection. However, as previous posters have mentioned, there could be problems if lots of people broke the law in this manner. It would at least encourage others, including those not in the moho community, to break the law, which might well lead to a form of dystopia that you probably wouldn't find agreeable. Take a look at @Allen's post to see what's happening as people are extracting the urine out of the current relaxation of lockdown and ask yourself how these same morons would act if they perceived that nobody was taking a blind bit of notice of the rules.

Pragmatically, all campsites, pubs and other businesses that allow camping are closed. The Caravan Sites Control and Develpment Act 1960 makes it unlawful (with some exceptions) to permit camping in any form of caravan (including mohos) other than on licenced sites. So, you have nowhere in England to lawfully camp anyway. If, despite this, you choose to go wild camping, you risk repercussions from anyone whose dander your actions might raise and who might well go out of their way to put a stop to wild camping in their locality long after the current crisis is over.

colinmd

Nothing I have read here answers my original query. Arguments about what is or is not a law do not answer the question. Why may we not spend a night in our motorhomes elsewhere other than our drives. We do not need to get out so we are in our own environment safe from disease transmission in either direction. Yes 2cv as you say "due to accident, breakdown or illness" sounds like a fair point but this applies just as much to those travelling anywhere, allowed or otherwise for reasons legit or otherwise so why are we not allowed to stop overnight? It makes no sense.
Leaving aside the law, are you OK with everyone going down to Cornwall in their vans and 'Wild camping'? As far as I can see the law has effectively kept Cornwall isolated from mass tourism as it's not an easy day trip, yet you want to open it up.

maingate

So you want to go paddleboarding and kitesurfing and think there is no harm in you doing it.

So .... either do it or accept that you cannot. Simples.

Val54

From a government viewpoint (any government) it is easier to impose a blanket ban than try to legislate for every eventuality in a rapidly changing scenario. Simply put, they don’t trust the wider population to behave responsibly if loads of exceptions were made. You ask why not, well for starters how do you police only staying away for one night, how do you then deal with all the numpties who will overstay and have to dispose of their tanks when no facilities are open ......

Minisorella

OK, I won't answer the question but I'm sure the police would be more happy to provide their expertise ;)

Doubtless we can all think of situations/circumstances where we desperately rationalise to convince ourselves that our actions are OK when we know they're not.
In the immortal words of Joan Cusack in Working Girl - "Sometimes I dance around my apartment in my underwear... doesn't make me Madonna" 🤣

Harrytherid

My wagon will remain on my drive and I shall be clapping with a clear conscience and enjoying the camaraderie of my neighbours doing the same keeping our distance but still wondering why I can not have a couple of days by the coast in my wagon that has sat on the drive for so many months unused. Oh apart from the fact that our fridge in the kitchen is small and the wagon has made a great overflow storage as we have been shopping a few times as possible. Tried ordering over the web but Morrisons made such a hash of it that now we tog up in rubber gloves and masks and go in to shop. No GreggBear I can see no sense to it either but perception and emotion are the reasons which are not real reasons Allen.

Minisorella

There'll be a reason somewhere in their thinking for having to return home at night but we've just not been made privy to it. Lots of my friends can't make sense of having to visit 1:1 with either their mum or their dad, not both at once, or why a family can't meet up with one other person. That one I can understand - think about viral load.

If it's any consolation, the question of camping being a safer type of holiday has been raised a couple of times at the daily briefing. Jonathan Van Tam said he's now ready with specific advice about this for the government, "when they ask me" :) More generally, I reckon it'll be step 2 or even 3 before anyone's allowed to stay away from home overnight. For us, it should be covered by the second-home issue when that changes but definitely by the eventual reopening of campsites.

Meanwhile, I feel celebratory anyway... only managed to nab a Tesco home delivery slot for June, yay! 😂

GeoffL

There'll be a reason somewhere in their thinking for having to return home at night but we've just not been made privy to it.[...]
I can think of one - to limit how far from home someone can travel. Probably most won't go much further than 50 to 100 miles each way if they know it's to be a day trip while they might do 200 miles or more per day with almost all of England and Wales being within range of almost anywhere else in England and Wales for a three or four-day excursion. Not saying that's the actual reason -- just a plausible possiblity.

colinmd

The 'no overnight' rule is simple to explain, it cuts down on transmission across the country without placing mileage limits as the French have done, i.e. There's no way I'd entertain a 4hr plus journey to a destination knowing I'd need to drive back, but a night or two away and it becomes feasible.
P.s. Crossed over with Geoff, not sure why his post didn't show.

maingate

Camping is probably the safest way of having a break but only because it is self contained. That argument falls apart after a couple of days when water is needed and cassette emptying becomes urgent. With sensible precautions, water is not a huge problem but how do you empty a cassette when all public toilets are closed? I carry a Spade but no doubt some might just dump the contents in a ditch (and yes, I have come across that in the past).

A member on here has just posted that he has had a couple of nights away. That is up to him and he appears to have come home before needing water and cassette emptying. His advantage is that he has a small van. I have an 8.2 metre Tag Axle coachbuilt and it does tend to stand out a bit. 😞 I have no doubt that there will be quite a few selfbuilds ignoring the 'return home at night' guidance, especially the ones built as stealth campers. There is a converted Ambulance that parks up where we take the dogs. I don't villify him, in fact I'm glad he's there as the pull in he uses is sometimes used for flytipping .... well not as long as he's there. :giggle:

channa

My understanding is it is not a rule but an amendment to the law the coronavirus act 2020 act. By spending a night in the van away from home is clearly an infringement , the offence is absolute, it is no more complicated than that .

Whether we agree or not is of no relevance , and reminded by a serving magistrate I know having question3 several laws .

The law is as it is not how we want it to be. ... nor does it concern itself with morality

antiquesam

Camping is probably the safest way of having a break but only because it is self contained. That argument falls apart after a couple of days when water is needed and cassette emptying becomes urgent. With sensible precautions, water is not a huge problem but how do you empty a cassette when all public toilets are closed? I carry a Spade but no doubt some might just dump the contents in a ditch (and yes, I have come across that in the past).

A member on here has just posted that he has had a couple of nights away. That is up to him and he appears to have come home before needing water and cassette emptying. His advantage is that he has a small van. I have an 8.2 metre Tag Axle coachbuilt and it does tend to stand out a bit. 😞 I have no doubt that there will be quite a few selfbuilds ignoring the 'return home at night' guidance, especially the ones built as stealth campers. There is a converted Ambulance that parks up where we take the dogs. I don't villify him, in fact I'm glad he's there as the pull in he uses is sometimes used for flytipping .... well not as long as he's there. :giggle:
I can't speak for everywhere but the toilets that still exist are open here in Portsmouth along the seafront, and some even have an outside tap.

Debroos

As far as I can tell, I am OK to go into my local Asda for my shopping without an issue, yet if I go into an Asda near any area of natural beauty, or near the coast etc, suddenly I am an infectious germ monger with no respect for the law or for my fellow man!
I do respect the rules, & have played the game since lockdown began but can only agree with the OP's sentiment.
If the advice we are being given made any sense or didn't contradict itself so much maybe more of us would abide by it....
The reason is that loads of people arrive in desirable areas like Cornwall. Many of those people will be from areas with a high covid rate. It stands to reason that more people moving into another area is going to increase the rate of infection in that area.
Cornwall for instance has very little capacity for covid in its hospitals even for its residents. It certainly does not have enough capacity for an increased rate of infection.

antiquesam

I'm hearing that the hospitals are emptying fairly quickly and many of the staff have very little to do. In hindsight the government overreacted and it would seem that overreaction meant hospitals were told to chuck as many people out as possible to care homes, hence the deaths in them. Apparently our local hospital had 400 beds ready for the Easter peak that never came, and hasn't since.

izwozral

OK, I won't answer the question but I'm sure the police would be more happy to provide their expertise ;)

Doubtless we can all think of situations/circumstances where we desperately rationalise to convince ourselves that our actions are OK when we know they're not.
In the immortal words of Joan Cusack in Working Girl - "Sometimes I dance around my apartment in my underwear... doesn't make me Madonna" 🤣
😂😂😂😂😂😂

At first I read that as JOHN Cusack which actually made it funnier. Still very funny anyway!

molly 2

We just have to do as we are asked ,we are not the only one's in this awful situation .people have bought static caravans paying thousands site rent for new static caravan's they have never used, others paying for second homes they can't use ,yes it sucks .but other people have been hit a lot harder than us.

2cv

We just have to do as we are asked ,we are not the only one's in this awful situation .people have bought static caravans paying thousands site rent for new static caravan's they have never used, others paying for second homes they can't use ,yes it sucks .but other people have been hit a lot harder than us.
In England the asks are reasonable. Unfortunately up here in Scotland the government screwed up big time. So we face a very long term lockdown to try to save their face.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:289)

mark61, izwozral, 2cv, Edina, colinmd, Dezi, sparrks, Farman, phase3begins, mistericeman, r4dent, Wully, Derekoak, twink, Clummzie, campervanannie, maingate, helen262, helmit, Alberto, wildebus, Martin P, paulhelenwilko, scampa, 1807truckman, Wooie1958, number14, Obanboy666, Tezza33, Asterix, Neckender, vanmandan, n brown, Harrers, smg, Tim120, TeamRienza, davef, alcam, groyne, trixie88, st3v3, lands43, terry111, molly 2, POI Admin, channa, Kizzy, SimonM, doglover1, ian1950, Dee, barge1914, pamjon, AdriaTwin, yorkslass, Snapster, witzend, GeoffL, brunobrian, runnach, madtheswine99, antiquesam, DorsetDrifter, Tookey, harrow, FULL TIMER, Allen, GreggBear, justRoamin, Val54, barryd, rabW, jacquigem, TJBi, argoose, 955itriple, JVG, fiona68, Nabsim, GinaRon, Geraldine, REC, caledonia, Fisherman, Mikael, Toffeecat, Nidge, Carrerasax, Adria home, clarkpeacock, Fazerloz, mariesnowgoose, Robmac, trevskoda, MrKenny, grahammay2, defender, spigot, hmssnake, Budgie, martinmartin, Biggarmac, ATwin, Winger, wints, Minisorella, Goggles, jeanette, Artichoke Annie, jagmanx, ChrisInNotts, Penny13, vtwinner, walpeter, Somerled, tripper, iampatman, SCRUMPY BOY, RSD7a, antiqueman, Aly, BlueVanMan, lahoski, highlandron, mjvw, yorkshireCPLE, Andysm, Redsky, korky, mossypossy, Doddy6, big tom, Moonraker 2, tribute11, Steve and Julie, Ribble, Mandoman, alwaysared, hanger18, Wheelie, toasty, Yelto, britcoms, jimbohorlicks, Debroos, mofish, I&MK, Donsider, ton27, sherry, Chip, silverweed, Liberty hall, ajb70, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, sonic650, pj650, GWAYGWAY, mygrassisblue, moonshadow, Victor, Buzzard, maureenandtom, Bigshug, mrdon, david0412, rjn, Babybirddog, Android, jann, ironman, Veloman, harrym, Package, Sue Paskins, Enfieldrover, dave01249, Fdhadi, i0mark0i, yorkscol, clareandpeter, Clarkster, Proverbs2329, Deneb, Skiptonian, Stevie 25, ozbit, mjhall37, bilbo, Ken Parsons, Greengrass, MikeB, Archiemutt, wildman, Justjack, dane, Peter51, Su James, myvanwy, oTTo, dlongman, in h, TonyandJo, Greytop, Andyd400, Juliet, TanyaK, Buckby, grapework, Scrumpee, robert webber, fairfieldkid, Full Member, MadRssss, Larnie, brian c, Keith777, hank, charlie356, kenno, zzr1400tim, lthoel2, Gray B, Jean, bartman, sduggan, eddyt, starfish, mikeegee123, Chris356, NeilyG, gisjbert, reiverlad, Scotia, Greenwayjay, Clubhouse, Alcfire, Winnie, mid4did, daisybrown, panlap, dezzy, john77, davep10000, Bob, Nomad, DaveP, jas900, Phump, delphin, Tapfitter, gerrevelyn, gustaylor, sdh1412, peter palance, toasterseth, quilkin, eggbeater, timatabsa, Moc, nosfunk, Nowego, paul99, Nilocck, NalaK, gettingolder2, Chasn, fiona b, cobbdu1, Yolo, wilfee, pondhoppers, noah and nelly, Durasell, Gary L, Dads Train, daviesp2, Meloc8, roadroamer, tipper trucker, smudger1949, Homenaway, Mickrick, zidane1, robertd, TangoGypsy, Freechords, Robinhood,