What possible problem might an overnight stop cause because of Covid19,

GeoffL

Last time I looked the Roseland peninsula had one of the highest death rates in the country, certainly a lot higher than where I live. :eek: -- I suspect you mean on a "per million" basis rather than in absolute terms. AFAICT: the UK death toll is currently around 500 deaths per million. The Roseland Peninsula has a population of less than 4,000 so more than two deaths would put it above the national average and it wouldn't take many more to make it a black spot! Absolutely, they bring their germs with them from wherever. But a Cornish resident going to Cornwall is doing no more and probably far less than someone driving many miles to their favourite golf course. I note that this thread started after the new rules were published: We are now allowed to drive to beauty spots not just for exercise but also to admire the view etc. AFAICT, the law doesn't restrict any particular vehicle type -- so you're just as free to use a motorhome for this as you are a car IMO. Pragmatically...
An account upgrade is required to view more of this post.

colinmd

Pragmatically, the OP is correct -- they would not be a threat during a three-day excursion provided they didn't interract with others. However, the rules were probably drawn up without taking us into account. I have to ask, "Why would they?" considering the campsites are all closed and the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 makes wild camping a quasi-unlawful, grey area! It's fine if one person decides to have an overnight, but if the rule wasn't there then everyone else could do the same, including second home owners, the OP has already posted that they don't want people going to Cornwall take viruses with them, how about no rule and thousands going to Cornwall, not so great then.

mistericeman

This was my local reservoir/beauty spot the day after it was announced lockdown was being eased.... Parked like idiots, all in one big crowd with no social distancing.... Hopeless..... Some People are frankly, just idiots..... So no great surprise the government treat them thus.

GreggBear

As far as I can tell, I am OK to go into my local Asda for my shopping without an issue, yet if I go into an Asda near any area of natural beauty, or near the coast etc, suddenly I am an infectious germ monger with no respect for the law or for my fellow man! I do respect the rules, & have played the game since lockdown began but can only agree with the OP's sentiment. If the advice we are being given made any sense or didn't contradict itself so much maybe more of us would abide by it....

barryd

Maybe the worry is that if overnight stays are allowed some people will take the piss. I agree with the OP it does seem daft. You can go where you like for as long as you like but you cannot overnight in an isolated camper and then drive home in the morning. Today in Richmond there were hoards of people swimming in the river (together), I witnessed at least one person shaking hands, the Market was in full flow, people queuing for Ice creams. Im guessing some were locals but a lot would not be. When you see scenes like that its hard to comprehend how a motorhomer on a lonely hill top up the moors would be a problem. Trouble is I guess it would open the doors to people spending weeks on ends in popular spots, tenters turning up to camp, all then starting to need local facilities and services etc. I just wouldnt feel safe anyway right now. Tensions are running high in rural areas and popular spots. Not worth the risk and its against the rules even if they do seem a bit daft.

mistericeman

Maybe the worry is that if overnight stays are allowed some people will take the piss. I agree with the OP it does seem daft. You can go where you like for as long as you like but you cannot overnight in an isolated camper and then drive home in the morning. Today in Richmond there were hoards of people swimming in the river (together), I witnessed at least one person shaking hands, the Market was in full flow, people queuing for Ice creams. Im guessing some were locals but a lot would not be. When you see scenes like that its hard to comprehend how a motorhomer on a lonely hill top up the moors would be a problem. Trouble is I guess it would open the doors to people spending weeks on ends in popular spots, tenters turning up to camp, all then starting to need local facilities and services etc. I just wouldnt feel safe anyway right now. Tensions are running high in rural areas and popular spots. Not worth the risk and its against the rules even if they do seem a bit daft...

colinmd

As far as I can tell, I am OK to go into my local Asda for my shopping without an issue, yet if I go into an Asda near any area of natural beauty, or near the coast etc, suddenly I am an infectious germ monger with no respect for the law or for my fellow man! I do respect the rules, & have played the game since lockdown began but can only agree with the OP's sentiment. If the advice we are being given made any sense or didn't contradict itself so much maybe more of us would abide by it.... Unless you live in Cornwall the OP doesn't want you there.

yorkslass

Expect a few harsh comments, some members are struggling with lock down but are doing the right thing by following the rules. Struggling is the word. Today has been glorious and I have spent more time than is healthy looking at Whitby webcams. Stunning blue skies and sea, folk walking about and i'm stuck at home. The whole situation is unfair. Nobody wanted this bl@@dy disease. If I only had myself to consider I would be out there and if i caught it, so be it.

campervanannie

I just watched the news and all those people on the beaches on the south coast it is infuriating when we can’t go to the east coast as all car parks are closed and bollards all along the on street parking in Scarborough and Whitby probably Brid too it’s just not Ffff fair .😡😡😡😡

2cv

I just watched the news and all those people on the beaches on the south coast it is infuriating when we can’t go to the east coast as all car parks are closed and bollards all along the on street parking in Scarborough and Whitby probably Brid too it’s just not Ffff fair .😡😡😡😡 I’d just like to be allowed out at all.

witzend

The Roseland Peninsula has a population of less than 4,000 so more than two deaths would put it above the national average and it wouldn't take many more to make it a black spot! 11 deaths in a care home Down to 11 deaths in the privately run care home at Tregony run by HC 1 https://www.retirementvillages.co.uk/our-villages/roseland-parc/roseland-court-care-home/dementia-care/

Fazerloz

I’d just like to be allowed out at all. Managed to get out two days last week into hospital to get bits of flap disc out of my right eye. that despite having safety glasses on and wearing a screen. They couldn't get it all out the first day without doing further damage so had to go back two days later for the rest removing. All's good now though and back to lock down. Having a week off now waiting for my eye to heal.(y)

trevskoda

Next door to me had window fitters round putting some new ones in,then there grandson who lives with them had is blond bombshell round for half the day before his mates turned up all in one car, some people here seem to be doing what they want when the rest of us are doing are best to keep folk safe,silly conuts.

harrow

Next door to me had window fitters round putting some new ones in,then there grandson who lives with them had is blond bombshell round for half the day before his mates turned up all in one car, some people here seem to be doing what they want when the rest of us are doing are best to keep folk safe,silly conuts. Its just like the Romanian builders, 6 arrive in the back of a transit van, daft they are building an extension for the grandmother, they think the virus won't get them. :(

Fazerloz

Struggling is the word. Today has been glorious and I have spent more time than is healthy looking at Whitby webcams. Stunning blue skies and sea, folk walking about and i'm stuck at home. The whole situation is unfair. Nobody wanted this bl@@dy disease. If I only had myself to consider I would be out there and if i caught it, so be it. You have got me hooked on the webcams now. (y)

martinmartin

Wildcamping with motorhomes is contentious, now we have the double whammy situation with potentially no definitely covid campers, it's nonsense. Just do it and keep out the way.

Allen

Posted by a front line worker on Facebook.... What an absolute kick in the guts to every NHS frontline and UK key worker! Not only are the beaches and parks packed today, and neighbours having parties, but they are filled with some people receiving furlough payments. So us frontline mugs will keep working whilst you have a fabulous time spreading your germs around. Plus we will be expected to accept a pay freeze to pay for it! Who the hell do you think is going to pick up the pieces when this goes tits up?! Do me a favour, and don’t you dare come out and clap at 8pm tomorrow. Bunch of Hypocrites!! 🤬

jagmanx

We are still in desperate Times.. As always some flout the guidance. Best wait until the next stage of "unlock" I agree minimal risk and indeed those who travel by car risk accidents breakdown etc. People see Motorhome and they think HOLIDAY even though you may well be day-trippng and like the van so you can eat inside it etc BUT perception !

Harrytherid

Nothing I have read here answers my original query. Arguments about what is or is not a law do not answer the question. Why may we not spend a night in our motorhomes elsewhere other than our drives. We do not need to get out so we are in our own environment safe from disease transmission in either direction. Yes 2cv as you say "due to accident, breakdown or illness" sounds like a fair point but this applies just as much to those travelling anywhere, allowed or otherwise for reasons legit or otherwise so why are we not allowed to stop overnight? It makes no sense.

GreggBear

Have to agree there, I am no more likely to have an accident in my bus than I am popping to the local shop in my van. I could even have an accident in my home & require assistance, so IMHO the accident argument is just a pile of tosh. As you say, " because the govt says so" is not really an answer to your query. Reality is I don't think anyone has a good answer for you as there doesn't seem to be any sense to it at all....

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:251)

mark61, izwozral, 2cv, Edina, colinmd, Dezi, sparrks, Farman, phase3begins, mistericeman, r4dent, Wully, Derekoak, twink, Clummzie, campervanannie, maingate, helen262, helmit, Alberto, wildebus, Martin P, paulhelenwilko, scampa, 1807truckman, Wooie1958, number14, Obanboy666, Tezza33, Asterix, Neckender, vanmandan, n brown, Harrers, smg, Tim120, TeamRienza, davef, alcam, groyne, trixie88, st3v3, lands43, terry111, molly 2, POI Admin, channa, Kizzy, SimonM, doglover1, ian1950, Dee, barge1914, pamjon, AdriaTwin, yorkslass, Snapster, witzend, GeoffL, brunobrian, runnach, madtheswine99, antiquesam, DorsetDrifter, Tookey, harrow, FULL TIMER, Allen, GreggBear, justRoamin, Val54, barryd, rabW, jacquigem, TJBi, argoose, 955itriple, JVG, fiona68, Nabsim, GinaRon, Geraldine, REC, caledonia, Fisherman, Mikael, Toffeecat, Nidge, Carrerasax, Adria home, clarkpeacock, Fazerloz, mariesnowgoose, Robmac, trevskoda, MrKenny, grahammay2, defender, spigot, hmssnake, Budgie, martinmartin, Biggarmac, ATwin, Winger, wints, Minisorella, Goggles, jeanette, Artichoke Annie, jagmanx, ChrisInNotts, Penny13, vtwinner, walpeter, Somerled, tripper, iampatman, SCRUMPY BOY, RSD7a, antiqueman, Aly, BlueVanMan, lahoski, highlandron, mjvw, yorkshireCPLE, Andysm, Redsky, korky, mossypossy, Doddy6, big tom, Moonraker 2, tribute11, Steve and Julie, Ribble, Mandoman, alwaysared, hanger18, Wheelie, toasty, Yelto, britcoms, jimbohorlicks, Debroos, mofish, I&MK, Donsider, ton27, sherry, Chip, silverweed, Liberty hall, ajb70, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, sonic650, pj650, GWAYGWAY, mygrassisblue, moonshadow, Victor, Buzzard, maureenandtom, Bigshug, mrdon, david0412, rjn, Babybirddog, Android, jann, ironman, Veloman, harrym, Package, Sue Paskins, Enfieldrover, dave01249, Fdhadi, i0mark0i, yorkscol, clareandpeter, Clarkster, Proverbs2329, Deneb, Skiptonian, Stevie 25, ozbit, mjhall37, bilbo, Ken Parsons, Greengrass, MikeB, Archiemutt, wildman, Justjack, dane, Peter51, Su James, myvanwy, oTTo, dlongman, in h, TonyandJo, Greytop, Andyd400, Juliet, TanyaK, Buckby, grapework, Scrumpee, robert webber, fairfieldkid, Full Member, MadRssss, Larnie, brian c, Keith777, hank, charlie356, kenno, zzr1400tim, lthoel2, Gray B, Jean, bartman, sduggan, eddyt, starfish, mikeegee123, Chris356, NeilyG, gisjbert, reiverlad, Scotia, Greenwayjay, Clubhouse, Alcfire, Winnie, mid4did, daisybrown, panlap, dezzy, john77, davep10000, Bob, Nomad, DaveP, jas900, Phump, delphin,