What are you doing/going to do to pass the next few months when you can't be travelling around?

mariesnowgoose

Every one else has made one so here is one i did today and test fired, hot hot hot.
Had to leave the chimney pipe clamp slack for expansion other wise 100% working.View attachment 79804View attachment 79805View attachment 79806View attachment 79807View attachment 79808View attachment 79810View attachment 79811View attachment 79812View attachment 79809
'Tis a good 'un, as is Scotia's wee pig stove, very neat (and cute!).

BUT.... where has @exwindsurfer got to when you need him?

He's also a dab hand at this stove-making malarkey 😉 🙂🔥

in h

In my experience, tree stumps seem to be made of wood that is about as dense as cast iron, and about as easy to burn.
Digging and cutting is hard work, but it seems to be the only method that really works - and then you leave all the wider roots in.

Scotia

Getting there slowly, i have been chipping away at the stump with an axe, once open it is burning up again so by tonight it should be below ground level. Tonights stump, i have cut more from what was left to reduce burning time, i would have cut the centre piece out but dulled two chains in attempting to do and my wee chain sharpner just gave up on me. I found a stone in a section of stump that i split off with the axe which was the cause of the cutting edge getting blunt quickly .
20200421_141730.jpg
20200421_161847.jpg
20200421_161448.jpg
20200421_161453.jpg

izwozral

Never heard of brack and stotty cake so looked them up, according to Wiki you are either Irish, Northumbrian or Yorkshire?

mariesnowgoose

This lockdown must be making me nostalgic for my homeland. Baking stotty cake and brack now. If only I had some saveloy and pease pudding

View attachment 80286View attachment 80287
You must have been mind reading!

How spooky is that?

Just this morning we looked at my old Bero book and Neil fancied baking brack, but we plumped for granny loaf instead as the brack would have depleted the store cupboard of too many sultanas, raisons and currants. You must be well stocked up with dry goods, Sam! 😉

Granny Loaf

200g (8oz) self raising flour (or I guess in these strange times plain flour if that's all you can get, plus a teaspoon or two of baking powder)
1 x 2.5ml (half tsp) salt
25g (1oz) brown sugar
50g (2oz) chopped walnuts
75g (3oz) raisons or sultanas
1 x 15ml (1 tbsp) golden syrup
125ml (quarter pint) milk

1. Place all dry ingredients in a bowl add walnuts and fruit
2. Beat to a soft mixture with syrup and milk
3. Place in a greased 15cm (6 inch) cake tin
4. Bake for 45 minutes at 190 degrees C (170 fan oven), 375 fahrenheit, or gas mark 4
5. Brush with a sugar glaze whilst still warm

Sugar Glaze

30ml (2 tbsp) milk
30ml (2 tbsp) water
30ml (2 tbsp) sugar

1. Place all ingredients in saucepan
2. Boil for approx. 2 minutes, use while hot

mariesnowgoose

Greggs used to sell loads of stotty cakes years ago, but since they became a national chain they dispensed with the local product and moved towards the bland sameness of all the other national food chains.

Pity really. The stotties were quite tasty, as were the fillings - ham and pease pudding! Yum yum!(y)😋😋😋

antiquesam

You must have been mind reading!

How spooky is that?

Just this morning we looked at my old Bero book and Neil fancied baking brack, but we plumped for granny loaf instead as the brack would have depleted the store cupboard of too many sultanas, raisons and currants. You must be well stocked up with dry goods, Sam! 😉

Granny Loaf

200g (8oz) self raising flour (or I guess in these strange times plain flour if that's all you can get, plus a teaspoon or two of baking powder)
1 x 2.5ml (half tsp) salt
25g (1oz) brown sugar
50g (2oz) chopped walnuts
75g (3oz) raisons or sultanas
1 x 15ml (1 tbsp) golden syrup
125ml (quarter pint) milk

1. Place all dry ingredients in a bowl add walnuts and fruit
2. Beat to a soft mixture with syrup and milk
3. Place in a greased 15cm (6 inch) cake tin
4. Bake for 45 minutes at 190 degrees C (170 fan oven), 375 fahrenheit, or gas mark 4
5. Brush with a sugar glaze whilst still warm

Sugar Glaze

30ml (2 tbsp) milk
30ml (2 tbsp) water
30ml (2 tbsp) sugar

1. Place all ingredients in saucepan
2. Boil for approx. 2 minutes, use while hot
That sounds good. I've got most of the ingredients, but I threw out the syrup last year after buying it for a recipe and abandoning the tin for many years.
I got a bag of mixed fruit this week ready for a fruit cake next week when it is nicely steeped in brandy.
I used the Be-ro recipe as well but it's on line.
I yearn for a saveloy dip. There is a pork butchers in my home town that did them to die for. Bun dipped in the saveloy liquor layed over with pease pudding, the saveloy , all topped off with stuffing slurp slurp.