Well done DVLA but a bit miffed!

Tonybvi

Rapidly approaching the ripe old age of 73 my driving licence, complete with C1 category needed renewal. As we optimistically wish to travel overseas early next year I actually need to be in possession of my licence rather than driving under section 88 which is ok in UK only. I felt it prudent to apply for renewal early, especially as I had heard so many horror stories of DVLA delays. Although existing licence didn’t expire until mid January next year I sent off my D2 and D4 forms (luckily no medical issues) together with new photo and old licence towards the end of November anticipating hopefully my replacement licence some time next year!
This morning only 2 weeks after applying by post the new licence with all the correct categories landed on the doorstep. Well done DVLA.

Why am I miffed - the new licence runs from 29th November 2021 so I have lost nearly 2 months on the old licence. I knew this would happen but took the risk thinking there was no chance I would get the new licence until next year.

So it seems that the horror stories of DVLA delays may be a thing of the past unless I was just lucky.

Congratulations, Happy birthday next month. You are a lucky bugger.
I'm now 1 month outstanding, it's just a change of address. From dvla

The same thing happened to me and I lost about 8 weeks. The next time I posted the forms to arrive the day of expiry. I clawed back 2 weeks. It will be interesting when my licence expires as I am not renewing the C1 but it will not be my 76th birthday.

Rapidly approaching the ripe old age of 73 my driving licence, complete with C1 category needed renewal. As we optimistically wish to travel overseas early next year I actually need to be in possession of my licence rather than driving under section 88 which is ok in UK only. I felt it prudent to apply for renewal early, especially as I had heard so many horror stories of DVLA delays. Although existing licence didn’t expire until mid January next year I sent off my D2 and D4 forms (luckily no medical issues) together with new photo and old licence towards the end of November anticipating hopefully my replacement licence some time next year!
This morning only 2 weeks after applying by post the new licence with all the correct categories landed on the doorstep. Well done DVLA
The same thing happened to me and I lost about 8 weeks. The next time I posted the forms to arrive the day of expiry. I clawed back 2 weeks. It will be interesting when my licence expires as I am not renewing the C1 but it will not be my 76th birthday.
my wife’s been waiting 4 months for her renewal, admittedly there is a medical issue, but 4 months, really!

Why am I miffed - the new licence runs from 29th
This morning only 2 weeks after applying by post the new licence with all the correct categories landed on the doorstep. Well done DVLA.

Why am I miffed - the new licence runs from 29th November 2021 so I have lost nearly 2 months on the old licence. I knew this would happen but took the risk thinking there was no chance I would get the new licence until next year.

So it seems that the horror stories of DVLA delays may be a thing of the past unless I was just lucky.

November 2021 so I have lost nearly 2 months on the old licence. I knew this would happen but took the risk thinking there was no chance I would get the new licence until next year.

My license came back 3 weeks before the expiry of the old one. No C+E on the new one. That meant I had to phone Morrisons, to tell them that I wouldn't be coming in to work that day. When asked why? I told the manager, I no longer had a license to drive a lorry. He said, you've retired then. I replied, trying not to sound too happy, YES. RESULT. I then cut up, into little pieces my Tacho and CPC cards. One of my happiest days ever.

My license came back 3 weeks before the expiry of the old one. No C+E on the new one. That meant I had to phone Morrisons, to tell them that I wouldn't be coming in to work that day. When asked why? I told the manager, I no longer had a license to drive a lorry. He said, you've retired then. I replied, trying not to sound too happy, YES. RESULT. I then cut up, into little pieces my Tacho and CPC cards. One of my happiest days ever.
With reference to the above.
I hear on Radio 4 this morning, Harry Windsor is being slated for saying, " If your pi$$ed off with your job, move on".
Something I've done all my life. It was advice I gave to a close relative,after being turned down for promotion. The reply was, " What about my pension?
Thirty years away. That's a long time to be p'eed off.
If I only knew then, what I know now.

With reference to the above.
I hear on Radio 4 this morning, Harry Windsor is being slated for saying, " If your pi$$ed off with your job, move on".
Something I've done all my life. It was advice I gave to a close relative,after being turned down for promotion. The reply was, " What about my pension?
Thirty years away. That's a long time to be p'eed off.
If I only knew then, what I know now.
Back in the 80s when I lived in America, I worked with a very lovely and wise woman... one of those people who always seem serene and content and 'together'. She told me, if anything or anyone in your life is making you miserable, cut it or them out of your life without regret. She also said that guilt and regret were wasted emotions because you can't go back and change things... instead welcome the lesson you've learnt and aim to be better for it. I wish I was wise! 😊

2 weeks ago I did a renewal application on line and the new one came back within 48 hours all for the princely sum of 14 quid!

No complaints from me: excellent service.

2 weeks ago I did a renewal application on line and the new one came back within 48 hours all for the princely sum of 14 quid!

Bear in mind that online applications are handled automatically.

The delays are with applications that cannot be made online, for example renewal of C1 entitlement at age 70.

The DVLA is publishing occasional press releases to indicate the backlog.

For example:

Rather more than two months for C1 renewal at present!

Bear in mind that online applications are handled automatically.

The delays are with applications that cannot be made online, for example renewal of C1 entitlement at age 70.

The DVLA is publishing occasional press releases to indicate the backlog.

For example:

Rather more than two months for C1 renewal at present!
Not for me - C1 renewal by post (not online) took less than 3 weeks. What a lucky bugger I must be!!! Having said which I see others are reporting pretty quick turnarounds for C1 renewals by post, subject to no medical issues.

Back in the 80s when I lived in America, I worked with a very lovely and wise woman... one of those people who always seem serene and content and 'together'. She told me, if anything or anyone in your life is making you miserable, cut it or them out of your life without regret. She also said that guilt and regret were wasted emotions because you can't go back and change things... instead welcome the lesson you've learnt and aim to be better for it. I wish I was wise! 😊
Never realised my Mum, the Sainted Doris, had ever been to America. Glad you got to meet her, or someone like her, Jenny.

Not for me - C1 renewal by post (not online) took less than 3 weeks. What a lucky bugger I must be!!! Having said which I see others are reporting pretty quick turnarounds for C1 renewals by post, subject to no medical issues.
Interesting.

I've just sent my C1 renewal.

Where have you seen these reports?

I'm waiting for it so I can go to France ...

Interesting.

I've just sent my C1 renewal.

Where have you seen these reports?

I'm waiting for it so I can go to France ...
Other motorhome forums but also my own experience (see first post). New licence received by post less than 3 weeks after sending by signed for delivery my D2 and D4 forms, existing licence and new photo.

From the horses mouth......
Best time to send in an application is 3 weeks before it expires.

Why did you have to pay £14?? My online renewal was free!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back