Weird electrical problem in my Ducato

TrickyDicky

Free Member
Any help appreciated!
My 2.5 2003 Ducato based motorhome resets the clock and odometer to zero every time its started.
Has to be a voltage drop causing it but I can't see how or why.
The battery is good, she turns over well, fíes quickly. Voltage on my self installed voltmeter drops to maybe 9-10v as the engine turns over but I wouid think that pretty normal.
Anyone else ever had this problem and cured it?

Try asking someone like cartronics they repair instrument clusters but might have an idea for your problem

Any help appreciated!
My 2.5 2003 Ducato based motorhome resets the clock and odometer to zero every time its started.
Has to be a voltage drop causing it but I can't see how or why.
The battery is good, she turns over well, fíes quickly. Voltage on my self installed voltmeter drops to maybe 9-10v as the engine turns over but I wouid think that pretty normal.
Anyone else ever had this problem and cured it?

I had a movano that started dropping the battery to 10 volts....

It Ended up wiping the ecu...
Turned out there was, a bad cell on the battery that caused the drop under load but was fine when lightly loaded.

My 2004 Ducato does the same - but not every time, just randomly. It hasn't done it for a long while - I think it's because I haven't bothered trying to reset it. It seemed to be every time I got the clock right it did it so I gave up trying.
I think I asked on here about it and lots of people said theirs were the same.

My 2004 Ducato does the same - but not every time, just randomly. It hasn't done it for a long while - I think it's because I haven't bothered trying to reset it. It seemed to be every time I got the clock right it did it so I gave up trying.
I think I asked on here about it and lots of people said theirs were the same.

Interesting!
I did find one guy on the Fiat forum with the identical problem but no answers to his query unfortunately about why or how to fix.
Could be that these particular instrument clusters are unusually sensitive to voltage drops that would be 'normal' elsewhere, mine was intermittent at first as yours but now is more or less all the time, unless restarting the engine when it's hot so the starting time is reduced whereupon, like yours, it's as it feels like reacting !

Battery voltage dropping to 9 volts during starting is causing the problem .... some systems will be looking for 10volts as a minimum .
A good starter and battery should see 11.5 - 12 volts even during start .

You have as others have pointed out either a bad earth , bad starter or failing battery .

Try starting it from cold with a decent set of jump leads attached to a running vehicle .....if the problem still occurs you can rule out the battery .

Check the earth from the battery to chassis and also the chassis to engine block earth strap , take them off the mounting point clean them up and the point they mount to refit and tighten the bolts then put some copper slip or the like over the joint and bolt...

How much cranking does your engine take ? it should fire straight up ..... is it worse in the winter ?

Damp in speedo due to condensation from habitation. Try removing it put in a warm dry place for a few days ,if no good go with post 2

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back