Weigh Bridge

mossypossy

Free Member
Just took the twin rear axle Hobby 750 over DVSA weighbridge.

Instructions were to drive slowly over plate and read the numbers.

Front axle. 1710kg
Rear axle. 1220kg

With the load spread over two axles on the rear the reading seems a tad low.

Total weight 2930kg

Vehicle is rated to 4500kg

Water tanks were full and quite a lot of equipment on board.

Should I double the rear axle reading? Then it would be 4150kg.

2930kg is way to low for that van full of water. I would say you need to go on a fixed weightbridge for an accurate reading, guessing is not the way.

Not the same school then. Screenshot_20190417-074703_Calculator.jpg

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

7.5m equals 50 foot.
Did nobody go to school?

So have you been telling you wife that 15cm = 1 foot ?
:shag:

:idea-007: :idea-007:
Trust me .... I did sums at University
1m = 39.3701 inches
7.5m = 295.3 inches = about 24 feet 7 inch

Complicated!

I think you have to take four readings:

A = front axle only on weighbridge
B = all axles on weighbridge
C = both rear axles on weighbridge
D = rear axle only on weighbridge

A is, obviously, the front axle weight, B is the total weight in running order, take D from C to get the individual rear axle weights. I think! :idea:

Dynamic Weighbridge

I will try again tomorrow, and drive especially slowly for both rear readings.
If it's a narrow plate type weigh bridge then its called a Dynamic Weigh Bridge. For this you need to be in first gear and at tick over speed. The approach should be perfectly level so start as far back as you can which will allow any fluids to settle before you drive over the plate. Don't be tempted to stop or dip the clutch.
If it's a bed type weigh bridge, then you do front axle, total weight and then both rears divided by two. The rear tag axles should be compensating axles, as in they work together to carry the load equally, so the weight of the two axles should, in theory be equal. Each weighing should be with vehicle in first gear, engine off and give it time to settle.
If you can't get a proper reading from the tag axles being on a flat bed weigh bridge (if they are close together), as a rule of thumb, take the weight from the front from the total gross weight. This will be the weight of the rear axles which you divide by two. It can be very difficult on a flat bed weigh bridge to get an accurate reading if tag axles are close together hence why the dynamic type plate was introduced when tried-axle tractor units and trailers started appearing on the roads.

Last edited:
Weighbridge only has one contact area. About 1 foot wide.
Have to drive slowly over it and read the individual readings.

Weighbridge only has one contact area. About 1 foot wide.
Have to drive slowly over it and read the individual readings.
This is a Dynamic Plate. First gear, tick over and start as far back as you can. Don't stop until you are clear. You should get three readings, one for each axle and then it will add them together and give you the gross weight. The plate should not be too wide to accommodate one rear axle at a time. If it is too wide, then you won't get an accurate rear single axle weight with that type of weigh bridge.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back