We have been SCAMMED

bjh

Not sure how this scam was supposed to work, but someone hacked into my ebay account and tried selling two expensive items on it. Trouble was I did not know until PayPal told me a large sum of money had hit my account and they wanted extra ID from me. Not a word from ebay! I found who had paid the money and told them, they raised a dispute with ebay who found in his favour (of course as he had paid the money and got nothing for it) and ebay paid him back from my Paypal account. Paypal of course deducted their commission so suddenly I owed them more than £100! I then received demands for ebays selling fees and threats about sending in debt collectors. I spent many hours trying to phone ebay and Paypal and each time when finally getting through being told nothing to worry about it was being sorted. I still got demands from Paypal and ebay for monies. More hours on phone before all was cleared up. Tried to cancel Paypal so this could not happen again but apparently because they had raised a issue which was still on their books, I cannot cancel my account! Still not sure how the scam was supposed to work, but I did start getting extremely plausible Phishing emails apparently from ebay, trying to get me to add an extra email address to my account. Maybe if I had given that maybe they could have got something out of Paypal?

trevskoda

Not sure how this scam was supposed to work, but someone hacked into my ebay account and tried selling two expensive items on it. Trouble was I did not know until PayPal told me a large sum of money had hit my account and they wanted extra ID from me. Not a word from ebay! I found who had paid the money and told them, they raised a dispute with ebay who found in his favour (of course as he had paid the money and got nothing for it) and ebay paid him back from my Paypal account. Paypal of course deducted their commission so suddenly I owed them more than £100! I then received demands for ebays selling fees and threats about sending in debt collectors. I spent many hours trying to phone ebay and Paypal and each time when finally getting through being told nothing to worry about it was being sorted. I still got demands from Paypal and ebay for monies. More hours on phone before all was cleared up. Tried to cancel Paypal so this could not happen again but apparently because they had raised a issue which was still on their books, I cannot cancel my account! Still not sure how the scam was supposed to work, but I did start getting extremely plausible Phishing emails apparently from ebay, trying to get me to add an extra email address to my account. Maybe if I had given that maybe they could have got something out of Paypal?
Did the hack happen at their end or are you using windows by any chance, if you are then i suspect your sys has been infiltrated.

bjh

I suspect it happened at their end. I had no knowledge of the goods being sold on my ebay site until the email from PayPal. Ebay always send an email to say congratulations your item has been sold etc etc. Nothing flagged up at all. Still do not really understand how they stood to make money out of it. I thought maybe it was just an error on Ebays behalf until I started receiving the Phishing emails.

Doddy6

I go by the story of the young lad being placed on 6ft wall and his Dad saying jump don't worry I will catch you, they proceeded to do this three times.Third time he didn't catch the lad. Dad said don't trust anybody even your Dad.Lesson learnt.

runnach

Just had another phone call (landline) electronic voice, american accent, claiming to be from Amazon. Stating about a $300+ purchase I had made for an iPhone. And if I had not made this purchase, to press 1.

1471 came up with this number "07443 517984" I'll contact using my skype number, see who I get through to???

BEWARE.

Edit: called number that came up after dialing 1471, line is dead, I wonder how they do this???

grath

I have the Scooter for sale on Gumtree and I have been fending off prospective Scams.
Every one has a user name that seems to come from the Middle East.
They don't seem to have latched on to using British names 😁

• Sad
Reactions: REC

trevskoda

Just had another phone call (landline) electronic voice, american accent, claiming to be from Amazon. Stating about a $300+ purchase I had made for an iPhone. And if I had not made this purchase, to press 1.

1471 came up with this number "07443 517984" I'll contact using my skype number, see who I get through to???

BEWARE.

Edit: called number that came up after dialing 1471, line is dead, I wonder how they do this???
Auto dial using a tor, so blank when you try to ph back.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)